Need Help Desperately!

Nina1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello everyone, I am new to this site. I am looking for help. I have 2 cats, peanut and Linus they have been together since babies. but for a while now my cat peanut has been having issues. I moved about a year ago but I remember this starting before I moved. he has been constantly overgrooming; his back legs, his stomach so bad there's only a light coat of hair, and right above his paws where there is a line around of missing hair. he doesn't stop I have taken him to 2 different vets, got tests done all negative tried special diets, both vets said stress. I have gotten new cat trees, toys, feline air diffuser, calming sprays, and calming treats but he only would eat for a week though. nothing works. he is so loved, literally sleeps in my arms in bed every night. this cat is my life and it kills me to see him constantly licking I am constantly looking for help and can't find anything. the vets have recommend Xanax but I really don't want to do that im afraid too. any help at all would be appreciated !!!!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you consulted with a holistic vet?

I am definitely not one of those people who reaches for holistic over modern medicine. But sometimes, when modern medicine doesn't have an answer holistic can help. I am going holistic with my boys arthritis because he just does not handle modern treatment options well. It is actually working out fairly well for him.

In your case, it sounds like you've tried most of the modern options so it's worth a shot. I don't recommend trying to figure out an option from websites alone because there are a lot of differing opinions but a holistic vet would be able to help you navigate the different options and mointior response.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nina1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you consulted with a holistic vet?

I am definitely not one of those people who reaches for holistic over modern medicine. But sometimes, when modern medicine doesn't have an answer holistic can help. I am going holistic with my boys arthritis because he just does not handle modern treatment options well. It is actually working out fairly well for him.

In your case, it sounds like you've tried most of the modern options so it's worth a shot. I don't recommend trying to figure out an option from websites alone because there are a lot of differing opinions but a holistic vet would be able to help you navigate the different options and mointior response.

I have talked to workers at the holistic pet store near me but didn't find it much help but I will look into a holistic vet, thank you!

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you tried an elizabethan cat collar which is a cone shape wrapped around his head to stop him licking himself. I have posted a video on how to make one : You can make it out of a paper bowel, cardboard, plastics etc. The licking sounds like a stress related issue or some habbit that he is using to comfort himself. Or if it is happening all over his body, could it be a shampoo or flea med that he is alergic too ? Could it also be the food that he is eating, he may be having an alergic reaction to that. Could it be the cat litter he is using, or some chemical you use to clean the floors or porch that he is having an reaction too ? Is there a plant in the house or outside that he is having a reaction to ?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If a cone would work, there are also soft pillow type cones that are more appealing to some animals. There are a lot of styles of these cones, so you have to pick one that fits your needs with the issue that your cat is having.

If you are going to go holistic, I want to second that you need a vet who knows what they are doing. Frankly, you are safer with Xanax from your vet who knows the dosing than some layman giving you anecdotal advice or not knowing side effects.

Leslie Kadane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried switching to a raw diet with no fillers, by products, or grains?

What about CBD oil drops?