Need Help Cleaning A Dirty Rescue Cat

Brittani1157

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took in a cat today from a lady online who said she was going to take him to the pound today if she couldn't find him a home. She said he is an inside/outside cat, but I lost found out that she hasn't had him very long. He was dumped out of a car at a gas station, and then she took him home. So we have no idea how old he is, or anything about him really. She had him in a kennel when she brought him, and he had peed on him self on the ride over. So his whole back end was dripping wet, obviously he smells like urine. And the white fur on his body is reddish brown. His fur just feels dirty to the touch. He is friendly, but somewhat standoffish, so I don't want to scare him this soon. He let me brush him, but not for very long. I know he isn't going to let me bathe him. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to get him clean? I have a neutered Male cat who likes to go outside, and loves to roll around in the dirt lol. But he keeps himself very clean, and his fur is so silky. I want to get the new kitty clean and healthy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Brittani1157

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will definitely try that. Thank you! His fur is pretty long, so I wasn't sure if that would work. But I will give it a try.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I wish I had some great advice for you but I don't. Instead of trying to clean him all over, can you try to at least clean his behind to start with? At least that way, you would know what to expect when you go for more body parts later.

If you have any kind of small tubs, just put some warm water in them and use soft wash cloths/wipes to start with. It would help if you had a second person to help you - one to wash and another to give treats/foods throughout the process? Sometimes, if cats sense you are trying to help them, they will be more complacent.

I'll give you this TCS article link in the hopes there is at least some ideas that you could work off of.

How To Safely Bathe A Cat: The Complete Guide

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
If he won't tolerate watet, you can sprinkle corn starch on him, rub it in and let it dry. Once it's dry you can brush it out. It probably won't get rid of all the smell but it's a start that shouldn't traumatize him too much.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Brittani1157

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If he won't tolerate watet, you can sprinkle corn starch on him, rub it in and let it dry. Once it's dry you can brush it out. It probably won't get rid of all the smell but it's a start that shouldn't traumatize him too much.
I have some cornstarch here, that sounds like a good idea!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even if he fights you during the half bath, he'll feel better to be clean. He may hide for a couple of hours, but he will forgive you and settle in. Cats don't like being covered in their urine. It burns their skin a bit. Since he hasn't washed, he may feel too frightened/confused. This will mean whatever you do won't be separated into the this person did this category in his mind, just the bad afternoon before things got better group.

Just keep in mind how happy he will be soon. He may scratch you, but it doesn't mean he hates you. Clean it well, if he does.

Cat urine is very close to ammonia in it's make up. some cultures have used it for cleaning.