Need help, cat peeing and pooping all over livingroom and cant work out whats wrong.

raptor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, so i am new here, i join because we are at our wits end.

i'll give the full back story so it might be a little long of an intro.

We have 4 cats Coco(f), Miel(f) rescued in Switzerland and brought to the USA with us, Sooty(m) and Jasper(m) rescued in the USA.

Coco and Miel we have had since Sept 2007 so they are about 8 years old and are sisters. Sooty and Japser we have had since June 2013 ish and are about 2 years old and they are brothers.

Coco is the cat that is giving us problems. she had always been the queen cat.

2014 was a big year for us, we remodeled the kitchen in Jan (cats were shut out of the kitchen/living room for 7 weeks), had a new child in April and redid the stairs.

the problem started around August to September 2014 when we remodeled our stairs and had to shut the cats into the living room and kitchen area for about a month.

during this time it seems the balance of power changed and Coco was knocked from her queen cat position.

She now won't come out from under the sofa in the living room unless me or my wife are sitting on the sofa and then she will spend all night on our laps.

she comes out for food but is always getting into fights with the 2 male cats.  before they got on much better.

we have 4 litter boxes dotted around the house, we have tried moving them into the living room, we have tried new litter, new positions for the boxes, covered, uncovered, we have used feilaway diffuses for at least 3-4 months and also tried the new multi cat one.

now every day there is poop on the carpet and she also pee's on the carpet.

we are about to tear up the carpet because we cannot get the smell out. it is concrete under and we will replace it with hardwood but not until this issue is resolved. we have replaced flooring in 1 room and on the stairs because of Coco peeing on things.

we have also had her checked medically and there seems to be nothing wrong with her, she is in good health and her fur looks and feels fine.

at this point we are at our wits end and are considering re homing her, but she is such a precious part of our household and we have such a great history.

the main issue is her peeing and pooping in the living room but i would love to have her roaming the house again like she used to.

if anyone has any ideas we would love to hear them,

thanks and best regards

Raptor.

kerri21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she is very stressed out. The remodeling may have caused that. Cats are creatures of habit and hate any kind of change. Keep a strong routine with her, set times for feeding and play and keep to it. Don't overwhelm her with anything for a while, maybe try keeping her in one room and everyday introduce her to another and then another gradually and let her explore the new scents to each room. Make her a nice perch or bed of her own that she can feel safe in as well. She will start coming out of her shell and start being herself again in no time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

raptor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, i made her a bed last night:

and we moved her into the Master bathroom (easy to clean) she seemed happy but cried quite a bit around bedtime. also the 1st thing she did was pee on the new cat bed. good thing i made 2 covers for it......

hopefully this will work for her, i really want my kitty back to how she was....

kerri21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She will cry because it is another change to her routine but as long as you keep a strict one with her now she will settle in. It is also good she marked her bed, she now sees it as her own. My kitty has marked my bed and the couch I usually occupy and those are the places she feels most safe and comfortable.

Keep me updated and let me know how she is doing.

Remember that the key to having kittys is patience, patience, patience. She will go at no ones pace but her own
us mere mortals must just DEAL WITH IT haha

Give her tons of love xx

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

raptor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ah we took her peeing on it as frustration so we took the cover off and put a new one on and immediately washed the old one....

she appeared to use the litter box overnight but we will see later today