Need Help Asap Please!

nawilson8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all. I have an outside barn cat that I had rescued as a small kitten. She is about 11 months old possibly a year. Anyway she had a little of kittens (she will be getting spayed) this past Friday, the 27th. She had 5, 1 was dead once I found her and where she was laboring. I dont know if it was still born or what happened. The 4 others seemed to be doing ok. We had to relocate them to a safe place because she birthed in the middle of our construction site. So on Sunday we loved them. On Monday we found 1 of the kittens in her house with them, dead. A second one was found dead on Tuesday. This has been devastating. Today a 3rd one was dead. I have no idea what is going on. She lays with them, she licks them etc. The last one living is large and seems ok??? But her nipples and her belly don't look very large so I am worried they don't have milk! How do I know. It keeps searching and seems like is is latched but never for very long. Then it just sleeps. I have brought them both in the house and made them a home. I am feeding mama cat lots, food always offered. I bought kitten formula and bottles just in case, but the little kitten doesn't seem to interested. I am sorry this is so long I just wanted to paint a thorough picture. I have already shed tears over 4 dead kittens, I really want to save this little guy. Please all help is welcomed!!
P.S. mama cat has been great and let's me fuss with her and her baby about as much as I want. She picks him up and with him. Thanks in advance for your help!!!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How often do you see the kitten latching and nursing? Does the kitten cry often?

Do you have a kitchen scale to weigh the baby? Weighing daily is the best way to know if a kitten is getting enough milk. A kitten should gain 6-10 grams per day minimum. If not, it needs supplementing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nawilson8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have not tried weighing it but I certainly can try that. It mostly only cries if I pull him away from mama or mama leaves him to eat etc.
It does appear as though he is latching on to her. I even tried placing a hand on his throat to see if he swallowing but I cant tell. She seems very attached to him! I have tried 3 times to supplement him today bit he doesn't seem interested at all. I got maybe 1.5ml in him all combined.
It doesn't help that I have no idea why her other babies all died ?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there anyway you can take mommy cat and kitten to a vet? I am wondering if she is not a carrier of something- like distemper.

nawilson8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will call the vet. I am so afraid by tomorrow we will lose the last kitty. We have lost one a day almost since birth
Thank you for your reply

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I will call the vet. I am so afraid by tomorrow we will lose the last kitty. We have lost one a day almost since birth
Thank you for your reply

Is there a Animal Hospital close by that takes emergencies?

Does the kitten seem content after he is through nursing, or does he still cry? Is the kitten appearing to be any weaker since yesterday?

nawilson8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I suppose he seems content. He curls up, snuggles with mama and sleeps. When he is latched on he uses his front paws and is like kneading her and mama cat just purrs. Does not seem to be any different. He cries if I mess with him and pull him away from her or if she leaves their bed (to eat etc).

nawilson8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately it is a drive to the animal hospital from here and I have young children at home, 1 already in bed, that have to go to school tomorrow

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I suppose he seems content. He curls up, snuggles with mama and sleeps. When he is latched on he uses his front paws and is like kneading her and mama cat just purrs. Does not seem to be any different. He cries if I mess with him and pull him away from her or if she leaves their bed (to eat etc).

It sounds like he may have been the strong one of the litter or she didn't have enough milk for all of them. I think he cries because he is missing his siblings. Kittens cuddle up with their litter-mates more than they do with their mother.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately it is a drive to the animal hospital from here and I have young children at home, 1 already in bed, that have to go to school tomorrow

Quite understandable. I replied up above as to why I think that this little guy might make it.

nawilson8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He definitely used to cuddle up with his litter mates! Now all he has is her. Should I put a stuffed animal in there for him??
Do you think maybe he is nursing then. I cannot tell at all if she has milk. As in I have no idea how to tell?? She doesn't look big and full of milk like how I think she would, but she is so young (and possibly has tape worm). I have tape worm medicine for her but the information on the medicine says it is unknown in how it can affect pregnant or nursing mothers. I didn't even think about the tape worm possibility earlier??
But when I do pet her belly she does feel a little bit swollen like. She isn't sensitive. But the kitten is very UNinterested in taking a bottle of supplement.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
He definitely used to cuddle up with his litter mates! Now all he has is her. Should I put a stuffed animal in there for him??
Do you think maybe he is nursing then. I cannot tell at all if she has milk. As in I have no idea how to tell?? She doesn't look big and full of milk like how I think she would, but she is so young (and possibly has tape worm). I have tape worm medicine for her but the information on the medicine says it is unknown in how it can affect pregnant or nursing mothers. I didn't even think about the tape worm possibility earlier??
But when I do pet her belly she does feel a little bit swollen like. She isn't sensitive. But the kitten is very UNinterested in taking a bottle of supplement.

He was born on the 27th, so he has been surviving for five days now? Well, if he wasn't getting any nutrition he would be gone by now, so he must be getting something.

I am still wondering about distemper.

I don't know if a stuff animal will suffice because it the the scent of his siblings that he misses.

nawilson8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am encouraged in that he looks like he is staying to fill out, he doesn't look bad. I am probably so panicky because of the loss of the other kitties. I will follow up with the vet regarding distemper.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am encouraged in that he looks like he is staying to fill out, he doesn't look bad. I am probably so panicky because of the loss of the other kitties. I will follow up with the vet regarding distemper.
I don't blame you, we get very attached to those sweet little fur-balls.

Yes, I am feeling better too after reading your last report on the little guy. I am glad you will be consulting with a vet- they will be able to assess the situation and make the right calls.

nawilson8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good to know! Kids and I were getting a little worried when she would leave and want petted or come see us, but then I figured like any new Mom maybe she needs a break too!!

I really appreciate all of your input