Need Help/advice For These Kitties

bulldog232004

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. I have a bit of a situation that Im looking for any advice or help with. Long story, short: There was a house fire a month and 1/2 ago that took the life of a elderly woman who had A LOT of cats. She lived with her adult daughter. Cat lady lived upstairs and daughter downstairs with her dogs. Anyway, after the fire, mom passed away and daughter was in the hospital for a while and I happened to start taking care of the kitties that were left behind. Most of them are what I would consider to be feral tomcats. The boys would never let me close to them and they made sure to stay their distance until i put food down and walked away. They looked very healthy. During the time of feeding them every day, I rescued two kitties who went to my local humane society, and two kittens whom are currently living with my aunt. Well, about a week or so ago, the daughter moved back onto the property in a RV with her 3 dogs, 1 which she says is a cat killer.. hates cats. I made sure it was ok that I continue to find a place to put food down should the cats come back in the middle of the night, which I assume that they will. Thats been their only home and thats where they have been always fed.

Anyway, the daughter goes on to tell me that her dogs chased all the cats away.. I have been devastated and heartbroken over this. She also said that she didnt want the cats there anymore.

I have been exhausting all my resources around my county on relocation or anything anyone could do for them.. All I keep getting is "sorry". I have one person who is interested in making two of them barn cats but what about the rest of the kitties?

Anyway, there is one kitty who lives there, which the last time I saw him before the daughter moved back, I was able to pet him. Now, since shes been back I haven't seen any kitty there. I keep asking them if they have seen any cats, and they just say no.. I guess that one thats friendly, his name is Max.. I would atleast like to get him and find him a home.

Anyway, theres been some bad weather here.. Freezing temps and snow and rain.. what are the chances that they survive? Im not sure if they are in fact coming back to the house at night... i have been still leaving food but im not sure if they are getting it or her dogs are getting it. Any advice on how to go about this or if anyone has any experience in this? Im just looking for some direction. I do plan on setting a trap and seeing if i get anyone but really, the only one i can hang on to would be max until i can try to get them all fixed... but unfortunately the lady doesnt even want the cats there and shes not even feeding them.. i am. And I can't see her letting me come on her property for months and months either. Im heart broken.. Any help would be great!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey! I am so sorry.:alright: I understand your distress. I don’t know where you are but in many places the county animal control can offer traps. Have you googled Feral cat rescue and the name of your city, county or state? I faced a similar issue and I know how often the answer for help is no but persistence is key. Some places have laws that protect the cats and some don’t. I would suggest you try hard to be a very good friend to the girl with the dogs. Even contributing cans of yummy food to fill their bellies so they won’t chase cats as much. If you can claim a cat as yours you might have protection. You can check your local animal ordinances for rules. Don’t give up! I managed to re home 76 cats under terrible circumstances. For months I was told No room and no way to help! I snuck out at night to save kitties but I don’t suggest that! Check the laws! Dogs that kill might be an ordinance problem if the girl refuses to control her animals. It is far better to win her and her dogs over though. Let her know you want the cats out of there too. Do your very best to keep things peaceful and friendly! Maybe the girl has had a very hard time. It kind of sounds like she had a rough life even before the fire. If you can’t find organizations to help, please keep writing here. Others will be along to make suggestions.
Can you put feeding stations on your property? You can build shelters by using tarps to hide the kitties and Rubbermaid containers with a hole cute into each end . That way a cat can escape a dog. A styrafoam container inside that can help even more. There are threads on this site that talk about feral shelters. Many good ideas on here! @surya Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Can anyone suggest help?

I’m glad you came here. :welcomesign:
Please send me a private message if you need more help finding resources in your area. You can also use the @ symbol before my ID name to get my attention back here. I think you are wonderful for helping these kitties!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
I think, along with shelter, an important item that you need is a trail camera. These aren't expensive but maybe you could borrow one or two.

Place it/them where ever you're putting out food, or wherever you think you'll see activity.

You need a better idea of how many cats are still in the area, and a camera(s) will put you a lot further ahead in that regard.

Here are a couple of posts that discuss how to help cats outside;

Life Threatening Windchill

Feral Cats During Insane Cold Ne Us/ontario

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
These people do tremedous work with ferals, and may be able to give you some referals for assistance in your area, if nothing else. Contact them with the story just as you have told us! Home (Alley Cat Allies)

Do try to find someone who can lend you a humane trap, and do try to maintain friendly relations with the daughter. Let her know that YOU want the cats removed, as well, and are working on finding trapping solutions and safe locations for them.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are a saint for trying to intervene on behalf of the cats. I completely agree, and it has worked for me, that you need to appear to be on the same team as the girl and to agree that you would like to help her get those cats out of there. A trail cam will give you an idea of who is out there, especially since you might be dealing with large numbers....or not. If you find that most of the cats have not survived, focus firmly on what you did for them and how much the situation was out of your hands.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bulldog232004

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everybody for the replies. The trail cam idea is a good one. I will have to look into borrowing one and setting it up over there to see who is actually still coming around.

I have made attempts with any agency that could possibly help me and still, just can't get any clear direction. Some say tnr... its hard to put them back in that situation when the woman clearly stated she didn't want the cats there and that she has a dog who will kill cats... unfortunately that was just the case

Im absolutely devastated. I can't really breathe.. and at the same time, I blame myself for not getting that one kitty earlier like I had planned. He would still be alive if I had just got him earlier..

Anyway, I have been very nice to her and everyone involved over there... right now, I feel like I want to turn her over to the authorities or animal control about her dog killing a poor kitty... I feel so angry.. negligence of not watching her dog..

So, the trail cam I will have to try to set up and I will make sure Im still on a list to TNR them... but relocation is starting to seem very unlikely. I would relocate them to the property here... I think that would be a fantastic idea, BUT the significant other won't have that... We have lots of land.... but he seems to think that they will destroy his property. I already put food out at out place because there is a cat or two who come over at night to eat... I do believe its the neighbors cat.. at least one of them is.. but he doesn't really approve of me doing that either. I do it anyway... because I care.

I have made contact with that alley cat allies and they informed me that relocation was bad idea because cats won't survive/stay and its highly stressful.. but this situation seems like an emergency... Maybe these cats are afraid enough to stay away when the dogs are out... Max, he was friendly and trusting and ended up...

Anyway, Im still trying my hardest to find a resolution to the rest of those cats over there.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
He would still be alive if I had just got him earlier..
Hang on to the thought that cats are smart, and can be quite resourceful - hopefully that kitty relocated himself--you didn't find a body, correct? In addition, you'd mentioned that there were some toms you figured are ferals, and that they looked healthy. That made me wonder if there's another caretaker, or at least another food source somewhere in the area.

bulldog232004

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hang on to the thought that cats are smart, and can be quite resourceful - hopefully that kitty relocated himself--you didn't find a body, correct? In addition, you'd mentioned that there were some toms you figured are ferals, and that they looked healthy. That made me wonder if there's another caretaker, or at least another food source somewhere in the area.
He (Max) has passed away. That kitty that was friendly. I found him yesterday when I went to go feed. I’m fairly certain that the ladies dog that kills cats got him. I will spare the details. But his little body is now with me and I’m planning on either burying him or cremation. Most likely cremation since the ground is rock solid right now.
I feel absolutely sick over him.

bulldog232004

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He (Max) has passed away. That kitty that was friendly. I found him yesterday when I went to go feed. I’m fairly certain that the ladies dog that kills cats got him. I will spare the details. But his little body is now with me and I’m planning on either burying him or cremation. Most likely cremation since the ground is rock solid right now.
I feel absolutely sick over him.
I forgot to add, I think the other toms that are there just were fed really well by the lady who passed away in the fire. All the cats whom I have found and took out of there earlier, the really friendlies, they were all really healthy too. I just think the lady really did care for all
Her cats minus not getting them spayed or neutered. But they all were fed well.

FarmersWife24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you're going through this. The woman with the dog needs to be reported. You tried to do right by those cats, so please don't be hard on yourself. We can't save them all, but we can do what we can. If you have lots of land, you'll eventually have a colony moving in. Now that you've got a little experience and a support forum, learn all you can about how to help (and deal with) this population. It's heartbreaking to see animals suffer, but I'd rather feel the pain as I try to help than be somebody who doesn't care at all. Hang in there!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FarmersWife24 FarmersWife24 is right about hanging in there. If there are other kitties, you don’t want to make an enemy of that woman. Honestly, I blame poor teaching of the dog and poor supervision of the dog. We have leash laws here that forbid people from letting their dogs run loose. Considering what you said about the fire and the separation of mother /daughter, cats/dogs, I have to think there may be deep issues there. Losing the mother after the fire and not caring at all about her beloved cats is very telling. Try to stay as an ally until you get the area cleared of cats. I’m so glad that Max felt your love. I know he understood that. It was a very great thing!
Your strength and the rescues you accomplished are admired by all here.

bulldog232004

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you're going through this. The woman with the dog needs to be reported. You tried to do right by those cats, so please don't be hard on yourself. We can't save them all, but we can do what we can. If you have lots of land, you'll eventually have a colony moving in. Now that you've got a little experience and a support forum, learn all you can about how to help (and deal with) this population. It's heartbreaking to see animals suffer, but I'd rather feel the pain as I try to help than be somebody who doesn't care at all. Hang in there!
Thank you. It seems most people in this little town just don't care about cats in general. Trust me, I really do want to report her. She shouldn't let that dog run around without being under her control or command. I want to but I also feel that if I do, I won't be able to go back and help the kitties still left over there. Torn between two worlds.

bulldog232004

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
FarmersWife24 FarmersWife24 is right about hanging in there. If there are other kitties, you don’t want to make an enemy of that woman. Honestly, I blame poor teaching of the dog and poor supervision of the dog. We have leash laws here that forbid people from letting their dogs run loose. Considering what you said about the fire and the separation of mother /daughter, cats/dogs, I have to think there may be deep issues there. Losing the mother after the fire and not caring at all about her beloved cats is very telling. Try to stay as an ally until you get the area cleared of cats. I’m so glad that Max felt your love. I know he understood that. It was a very great thing!
Your strength and the rescues you accomplished are admired by all here.
Thank you. I hope he knew that I loved him. All I have left is a memory of him. He finally did trust me and I'm sure he knew how much I loved him, even if it was only for a short time. I feel like I failed him but I can't turn back time no matter how much I want to. I am still very much looking for a relocation for the rest that remain, and I am continuing to feed them and try to at least get them fixed and hopefully will have a relocation for them in due time.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You did not fail him. They always know who loves them. They are the first to comfort us in times like this and I know he would not want you to feel you had failed.You were doing all!
Stay on good terms with that woman as long as possible. It’s better for saving the others. If you can get them, then you can see about the dog. It’s really the responsibility of the woman. We tend to hate the dog but really, she is the one who allowed him the freedom to do that. Animal control would be likely to punish the animal more than her. You can check into the laws though. Find out the rules now so if the problem gets worse or things escalate with her, you know what to do. I can tell you that here, you have to have proof of what happened. A vet disclosure and/or video, multiple witnesses. Try to keep the peace if possible. At least for now.

bulldog232004

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m definitley keeping the piece for now. I wasn’t going to start anything because it will stop my efforts to help the rest of the cats that are still there. I’m pretty sure it’s the same here. Proof, a vet bill, etc...

bulldog232004

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 I truly hope so because I did and I still do.. I just laid little Max to rest in the yard this morning. I ordered him a personalized plaque and Im going to plant flowers when it finally stops raining.