Need Help & Advice for Cat with Megacolon

CatLadyofNine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First I’ll explain Pip’s history. For the last couple of months he has been struggling with occasional constipation. I have tried a couple different remedies which have kept him going up until this point. I have tried pumpkin and pumpkin powder but he didn’t like it and it didn’t seem to work. I tried green bean baby food every other day mixed in wet food which I think it may have helped. On a normal basis, he has Vets Best Hairball aid chewables, Get Naked Digestive Health treats, and on occasion I give him Petromalt or Laxatone hairball gel. The chewables he used to take 2, the treats he used to take 4 and it’d help, but when he started getting backed up and not pooping every other day or every 2 days, I cut back to 1 chewable and 3 treats which up until recently I thought was working very well for him. He also likes to eat grass when I let him walk around outside, but I should note he is overweight, he is 18lbs. When he doesn’t poop for 2 days, I give him 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of Miralax mixed in chicken broth, I would give the chicken broth multiple times throughout the day and by the next day or so he’d poop. He would strain and sometimes go on the floor in the corner if he was having trouble. I think he struggles with hairballs as well because I’ve seen hair in his stool and he has a companion cat he grooms. His stools are not small and dry though, they are large and hard, but normally I can still break them open and they’d be slightly mushier inside. When he’d have the Miralax they’re definitely soft.

Friday I noticed he hadn’t went poop, Saturday still no poop, so I started chicken broth and Miralax. He had thrown up sometime Friday night I had found by Saturday morning. He was straining a lot, still no poop. He still ate and drank but not as much as usual. By Sunday he had finally pooped three large stools, two on the floor and one in the box. Now he started acting normal again, like his chipper self, eating and drinking, running around. Walking outside, chewing on grass. I started giving him the hairball gels again and continued chicken broth and small doses of Miralax. However, by Wednesday, he still hadn’t pooped. I upped his Miralax to 1/2 teaspoon, also then later gave a 1/4 teaspoon, still nothing, still straining, but still acting normal and eating/drinking. By Thursday morning he didn’t want to eat, I went to work and came home and noticed he was mostly laying around, I could tell he didn’t feel well. All he had in the morning was a bit of chicken broth. By evening, still no appetite, no poop, we walked around outside, came back in, more straining, so I took him to the emergency vet. We waited 2 hours but they got him in, kept him overnight and gave him an enema, iv fluids and a laxative and got some stool out. Took x rays said he was backed up almost to his intestines and his colon was very large, he was impacted. By Friday morning the emergency hospital was closing so they had me take him to my regular vet to continue care. However, the regular vet has left me with little information on how he is doing, I’ve had to keep calling to ask and they are closed for the weekend. Pip is still there and this new vet dr I’ve never had there before is taking care of him, my regular vet is currently not there and I’m very worried. He has told me he’s got about 80% of the stool out, but is very concerned on how large his colon is and what function Pip had left of it because he hasn’t went on his own. He’s had three enemas and they sedated him once for more manual deobstipation, they said they’ve softened some of the stool, have him on cisapride and lots of fluids, but other than that I’ve been left with little info on everything that’s going on. The vet told me he’d send me pics of the x rays, still didn’t yet, he said he’d call me Friday night and never did, by 8 this morning the receptionist called me to tell me Pip was doing ok and still didn’t poop on his own, 9 the vet told me they’d do the sedation and manual deobstipation, by 12 I called to ask how he was doing if they had tried to clear him out anymore, vet called me back by 4:30 with his concerns about Pip being able to go poop on his own, and said he will probably continue to stay the weekend, or he might have me take him home, get him some exercise, and see if he’ll go at home.

At this point my emotions are a mess, his companion cat, Graham, keeps hiding during the day and only comes out at night and is extra affectionate towards me, when I took Pip Friday morning to the regular vet with my mom, I opened the pen door and he circled around the crate and sat at the entrance, poor guy was ready to come home. I just want my boy back. I’ve spent $1,200 on emergency, not sure what his regular vet will charge me. I’d like to eventually get him a subtotal colectomy but I cannot afford the $4,000 estimate I asked the vet about right now at this current time. I’ve been researching foods but the vet told me he is just concerned right now about getting him to poop on his own. I’m very worried, anyone have advice on my situation?

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do the 1/4 miralex dailey. Its a stool softener I take it daily myself for medical reasons 7 years now. Cats tend to not drink enough water Miralax stores water in the stool. It is not a laxative. But it is easier to pass a soft stool then a rock.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatLadyofNine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The emergency vet told me with Pips size he could do 1/2 tsp twice a day which I will do once I get him home. She also suggested trying Lactulose. I’m just nervous right now I just want to bring him home and the vet is telling me he might keep Pip until he goes poop on his own, this is what I’m worried about. I’d rather take him home, get his appetite going, and watch him here at home with his buddy.

CatLadyofNine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got the x rays back, but just the first one they did at the emergency hospital before they started him lactulose and the first enema. I asked the vet to send me the second radiographs and asked how much progress he’s made and when I could bring him home, still waiting on a response.

Anyone have any suggestions on a good method to get him pooping on his own regularly once he’s home?

I am starting to think up a plan in my head, giving him 1/2 tsp Miralax twice a day with chicken broth or some of the Fancy Feast or Friskies broth for extra hydration, give him whatever meds he may be sent home with mixed with his wet food, then giving him his favorite hairball gel, Petromalt, but I don’t know if I should be using that everyday due to it possibly blocking nutrients from what I’ve gathered. I’m unsure whether I should continue the Vets Best Hairball Aid chewables and the Get Naked Digestive Health soft treats. I am considering switching him to the Royal Canin Gastrointestinal dry food or the wet food, was thinking the wet food first.

He was eating Purina Cat Chow for dry food (I know it’s not the best), both him and his companion are free fed, then they also get Friskies wet food morning and night, which is occasionally rotated with Purina One and Sheba. In the afternoon normally I give a small snack of wet food leftovers. Treats are Stella & Chewys Duck Duck Goose which they go nuts about.

I am reading and doing a lot of research, so far it seems low fiber is best for Megacolon since his stools are so big and bulky, but to me it seems like he is already on a low fiber diet? Maybe I’m wrong?

Attachments

orangie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our vet also suggested lactose and a switch to wet only food when we went through a similar situation a few years ago.
we followed the suggestions by our vet (as I suggest you do) and once we were past the crisis point we worked with the vet to modify how much lactose and how often he gets it.

I will say though OUR cat cannot handle any dry food anymore. He loves kibble so we were trying to give him gut healthy dry kibble as his supper time treat, but very quickly ended up with hard dry stools again. And the vet X-ray shows he’s backed up again.

the enemas, manual extraction and a week at the vet before being told to go home and see if a familiar environment would help, all sound very familiar … I hope that your kitty rebounds as well as ours did after the episode and that you are able to find a routine that works for you.

CatLadyofNine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our vet also suggested lactose and a switch to wet only food when we went through a similar situation a few years ago.
we followed the suggestions by our vet (as I suggest you do) and once we were past the crisis point we worked with the vet to modify how much lactose and how often he gets it.

I will say though OUR cat cannot handle any dry food anymore. He loves kibble so we were trying to give him gut healthy dry kibble as his supper time treat, but very quickly ended up with hard dry stools again. And the vet X-ray shows he’s backed up again.

the enemas, manual extraction and a week at the vet before being told to go home and see if a familiar environment would help, all sound very familiar … I hope that your kitty rebounds as well as ours did after the episode and that you are able to find a routine that works for you.
What did you give your cat when you brought him home to help him go on his own? Same exact thing with my Pip, he won’t go for the vets.

I just got off the phone with my vet and he says I can take Pip home this afternoon, he’s still not pooping on his own and not eating, so the vet is thinking maybe he’ll do better at home because he’s very timid towards them.

orangie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
def ask the vet about the lactose dosing, when we started in the backed up phase I was surprised by the amount the vet wanted us to use. If it had just been up to me, I wouldn’t have gotten the dosing right, it may have worked but perhaps not quickly enough to resolve the situation properly.

I would also ask your vet about an egg yolk and pre-gelled chia seed combo. while it worked a treat for us, every cat is different and you want to make sure you’re following professional advice from a vet that knows your cat.

And I know how hard it is to get them to lose a little weight but it really was helpful. When we adopted Orange he was 20 lbs, vet says that 16-17 is a healthy weight for a cat his size. We switch to limited wet food feeding (vet gave us a calorie count to stick to) and now he’s able to stay at his ideal weight and only complains for food at his scheduled feeding times.

Make sure you let us know how it goes!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Ckd and constipation
Some information about Miralax and Lactulose

Search Results for Query: egg yolk lecithin
Egg yolk powder for constipation

I have a cat who, while not diagnosed with megacolon, had a major constipation episode. She takes Miralax daily, and I use Laxatone a few times a week. Miralax has to be dissolved, not sprinkled, and I have found that Hartz Delectables do a very good job of handling this.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Here are some articles on megacolon and constipation in cats.

My personal experience is to get him off of dry food or any treats. Feed high fiber canned cat food. He needs to get to a healthy weight, but that will happen if he only eats canned food.

Very important is that especially due to his being overweight, he is at a high risk for hepatic lipidosis if he stops eating. Never let him not eat, or try to wait him out with food.

These cats are usually dehydrated. Talk to your vet about doing sub cutaneous fluids at home to help with hydration.

CatLadyofNine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone for advice. My boy is finally home. It’s been very very stressful, and when I went to get him he was very fearful and timid of the vet. The vet was not very optimistic about Pips condition since he hadn’t eaten in 3 days and still hadn’t had a bowel movement on his own. I felt the back of his neck and he was dehydrated, and I was surprised that he was, when I was under the assumption they kept him hydrated with iv. Vet gave him another enema before we left, and gave me cisapride and lactulose to give at home. I was worried, but we had a miracle on the way home. Since he was so fearful, instead of putting him in his carrier, we left him stay laying in a big litter box with no litter in it while he was wrapped in a towel, he would barely move he was so scared, but once we started driving home and I was petting him, I thought I felt him try to push. Then I thought I smelt something. Once we got home he jumped right out of the box and there it was! He finally pooped! Then about 30 mins after that he had diarrhea. I am so happy. I got him to eat mushed up dry food in water with 1/2 tsp Miralax and some of the Petromalt hairball gel mixed in. Then later he had about a tablespoon of wet food and took his cisapride and lactulose. He’s been so chipper and up and walking around, out in his mini catio for a while enjoying the sun. Poor guy has pee all over his legs from the vet and still has to go back to get the catheter taken out of his arm. He hates that thing! He’s been drinking water on his own too. Around 8:00 he had more diarrhea, like pudding, but I am so elated. He’s pretty tired now but has been purring. My parents think it’s something how Pip suddenly turned around now that he’s home and with me. He was a totally different cat at the vets.

Thank you all so much, it’s been a very emotional rollercoaster and I’m just so happy I have my boy back home. His buddy Graham is happy to see him, too.

Attachments

orangie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
glad to hear that things are heading in the right direction 💙

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’m glad he is home. Watch that catheter for any swelling above the wrap or any swelling of the paw.