Need Good Resource For L-lysine

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Gypsy was just diagnosed with the cat herpes virus. Vet told me its quite common in cats that have been in the shelter system.

Anyway, the virus has caused her to have conjunctivitus in one of her eyes. The vet told me to find some L-Lysine supplements to give her. They help boost the cat's immune system and help support and improve eye conditions caused by the cat's herpes virus.

I got some chewables with L-Lysine at Petco but they were $12+ for 30 chews. So am looking for another source that's cheaper but still has good quality L-Lysine.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
It might be less expensive to buy it in powder form and sprinkle it on Gypsy’s food. NOW and Source Naturals are both good brands. Check out Amazon, Vitacost, and iHerb.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure of resources but it may be worthy to note that recent research points to L-lysine actually not being very effective for cats.

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

It comes with a scooper for the correct amount...I use it every day and have had it about 6 months now and still have a some left

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure of resources but it may be worthy to note that recent research points to L-lysine actually not being very effective for cats.
It may be true but at this point I got to at least give it a try. Gypsy has had 2 outbreaks of conjunctivitus within a month and if this is any indication of how frequently the virus will attack her I want to do what I can to help her immune system and eye health.

She is on an antibiotic eye drops right now. The vet is the one who recommended she take the L-Lysine.

chandler49

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Gypsy was just diagnosed with the cat herpes virus. Vet told me its quite common in cats that have been in the shelter system.

Anyway, the virus has caused her to have conjunctivitus in one of her eyes. The vet told me to find some L-Lysine supplements to give her. They help boost the cat's immune system and help support and improve eye conditions caused by the cat's herpes virus.

I got some chewables with L-Lysine at Petco but they were $12+ for 30 chews. So am looking for another source that's cheaper but still has good quality L-Lysine.
My cat also is a herpes cat. Per vet I use a supplement called Duralactin Feline Paste which I can get from vet but purchase from Amazon. It comes in a caulk tube. You just turn the knob to line up with the measurement on the tube. Real easy. Can be mixed with food if necessary but I just squirt onto a plate and Millie licks right up. I give her one 250mg dose a day which is one notch on the tube. She should be getting two doses but I just give one.

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat also is a herpes cat. Per vet I use a supplement called Duralactin Feline Paste which I can get from vet but purchase from Amazon. It comes in a caulk tube. You just turn the knob to line up with the measurement on the tube. Real easy. Can be mixed with food if necessary but I just squirt onto a plate and Millie licks right up. I give her one 250mg dose a day which is one notch on the tube. She should be getting two doses but I just give one.
I'm not familiar with that. Is it a lysine sup? Will see if I can find it at Amazon and check it out. Thanks!

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use Viralys for our kitty, just because it's the only brand of L-lysine that our cat tolerates pretty well. But I sure wish he'd tolerate the NOW brand, because it's so much cheaper!

We double the dosage of L-lysine during flare-ups, and then go back to the usual maintenance dose as soon as we can. You might want to check with your vet to see if that would be okay for your kitty.

I've read some articles about how L-lysine may not be as effective for herpes and FIV as once thought, but our cat apparently hasn't read the same articles, as his symptoms always get much worse if he doesn't get his required dose twice a day. :wink:

You might also want to ask your vet about lactoferrin, as discussed in this old thread: Stubborn herpes infection? Add Lactoferrin in addition to Lysine. It can cause a bit of an upset tummy in some cats (and ours turned out to be one of them). But we were able to get around that by gradually working up to the correct dosage. Then we double up on the dosage of that as well during flare-ups.

Also, since stress can contribute to herpes flare-ups, you might want to consider getting some Feliway diffusers and/or calming treats. :)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use Viralys for our kitty, just because it's the only brand of L-lysine that our cat tolerates pretty well. But I sure wish he'd tolerate the NOW brand, because it's so much cheaper!

We double the dosage of L-lysine during flare-ups, and then go back to the usual maintenance dose as soon as we can. You might want to check with your vet to see if that would be okay for your kitty.

I've read some articles about how L-lysine may not be as effective for herpes and FIV as once thought, but our cat apparently hasn't read the same articles, as his symptoms always get much worse if he doesn't get his required dose twice a day. :wink:

You might also want to ask your vet about lactoferrin, as discussed in this old thread: Stubborn herpes infection? Add Lactoferrin in addition to Lysine. It can cause a bit of an upset tummy in some cats (and ours turned out to be one of them). But we were able to get around that by gradually working up to the correct dosage. Then we double up on the dosage of that as well during flare-ups.

Also, since stress can contribute to herpes flare-ups, you might want to consider getting some Feliway diffusers and/or calming treats. :)
Our cat that takes L-lysine didn't read the articles either!

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Viralys is the brand my vet mentioned. I see Amazon has several options and choices. I think I want something that not only tastes good but also can be mixed in with her food as I would like to give it to her that way. She hates taking pills and its a pain to break up the chews but she does seem to like their taste.