Need feeding advice for Moo's liver problem

zcb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Moo had an ultrasound and his vet says he has a liver disorder but he can be treated with diet and Denimarin. I have two questions. First, can I crush the Denimarin and mix it in his food? Second, Vet mentioned low fat diet but when I looked at the ingredients on the Science Diet for live disorders the fat content was 20.2% which seems really high. I've read much on Science Diet and consensus is it's not a very good food. Any suggestions for me and Moo?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
What is the liver disorder? The manufacturers of Denamarin recommend that the tablet not be broken open for dogs or cats and I think that it is supposed to be given on an empty stomach. It is not a medication but the combination of two supplements SAMe and some derivative of milk thistle. I can't advise on the diet as I have never had an animal who would eat prescription food in the first place. Tell your vet your concerns about administering the supplement and see what they say.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zcb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All he said was liver is enlarged with mild fat. I don't know what to do if I can't put it in his food. He absolutely refuses to take a pill. I'm alone and don't have someone to help hold him so I'll tell the doctor.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have read if a cat refuses to take the pill by itself, it is worth it to give it to him with a very small amount of food - just to get the pill down. That could be anything that he is willing to eat, or a bite of baby food meat (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut) perhaps, or a bit of a lickable treat.

As mentioned above by fionasmom fionasmom , this is a supplement only. Depending on what condition your cat is in, there are other hepatic meds that might be necessary also.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe one of these pill taking tips will help:

Pilling Cats: Must-know Tips For Hiding Pills – Cat Articles
The Best Pill-taking Secret I Know...
Pilling Cats and Dogs Safely
How We Give Our Pill Hating Cat A Pill
Getting Cat To Take Pills... Post Tips Here.

A little bit of something to help the pill go down won't hurt as long as the stomach is otherwise empty.

Ask the vet about possibly compounding a generic version of Denamarin. Denamarin is a combination of S-Adenosylmethionine and Silybin. Wedgewood Pharmacy has a flavored liquid version of this combo: S-Adenosylmethionine/Silybin Oral Oil Suspension Your vet can check to be sure if this is the correct form you need and put in a prescription for it.

zcb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh everyone is so wonderful and so helpful. Thank you. I'll let you know how it's goes.

zcb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Went to pick up Moo's pills and it has to be given on an empty stomach not mixed with food and followed by 5 cc's of water. Well this isn't happening. He struggled so hard, spitting and growling, and finally tried to bite me. I tried the burrito trick of wrapping him in a towel but tried is the operative word since he wasn't having any of that either. Why would they even put directions like that when most cats are bad at piling? Now I can't even get close to him without him running away.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Went to pick up Moo's pills and it has to be given on an empty stomach not mixed with food and followed by 5 cc's of water. Well this isn't happening.
"For those owners who have difficulty administering tablets to their pets, Denamarin tablet(s) may be disguised in a small bite of food." This quote is straight out of a document by the product's manufacturer: Denamarin (look under the section labeled: Administration of Denamarin for Cats). It would appear the water follow-up is because of trying to give a cat a pill via the 'dry-swallow' mode. I suspect the water isn't as crucial if you can get your cat to swallow the pill in a bite of food.

Let a couple of days pass before you try administering the pill again.

Last edited by a moderator:

zcb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I saw that from their site after I had posted my problem. I'll try it. Wow. I have 13 horses and none of them are as difficult to pill as my 10 pound Moo. I'm on my way to the grocery store to get some Gerber Stage 2. Thanks again. It's really comforting having someone to bounce off ideas and problems.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I saw that from their site after I had posted my problem. I'll try it. Wow. I have 13 horses and none of them are as difficult to pill as my 10 pound Moo. I'm on my way to the grocery store to get some Gerber Stage 2. Thanks again. It's really comforting having someone to bounce off ideas and problems.
My grocery store doesn't carry it, but if yours does, pick up a packet of Tiki Cat Mousse as well - just in case Moo doesn't like the baby food meat (although most do, for some reason). I can also give you a list of lickable cat treats I use for Feeby's meds as well.

Too funny - but not - about the horses vs. Moo, but tbh, I swear cats are the most stubborn of all pets/animals!!!

zcb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Got the Gerber ham and put just a drop on his pill and he inhaled it right up. I give him his lunch of Tiki Cat Mousse. If he gets tired of the baby food I can always use the Tiki Cat. He adores it probably because it's expensive. Brat.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Got the Gerber ham and put just a drop on his pill and he inhaled it right up. I give him his lunch of Tiki Cat Mousse. If he gets tired of the baby food I can always use the Tiki Cat. He adores it probably because it's expensive. Brat.
:yess: :clap2: And, you are right - he is a brat, just like many of our 'dear' cats are (mine included)!!

• Purraise
Reactions: zcb

zcb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Moo scarfs the pill with just a tiny bit of baby meat on it but it's going to get a bit expensive if I can't keep the opened jar for more than 2 days. Does anyone who has used this method have a solution for not going broke buying baby food meat.?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can buy some condiment cups and split the baby food into them. Freeze them, and only take out a cup at a time for the next pill dosage. If you should forget, you can heat up some water in a dish and set the condiment cup in that to unthaw it.

I would also advise you to switch out flavors on occasion. Feeby got sick of the beef and turkey baby food, but she still gladly eats the chicken and ham. The same could be done by buying lickable treats - just for the sake of 'mixing it up' for him.

EDIT: Btw, the condiment cups can be washed and reused numerous times!