Need Dry Food Recommendations

andys1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!

My kitten is about to turn 1 year old in June. I want to start transitioning him to adult food since he's already a very hearty 11 pounds.

I currently feed him about 1/2 cup of Wellness kitten dry food each day along with about 3 ounces of Wellness wet food. He gets 1.5 ounces of the wet food in the morning and the rest at night.

Due to some digestive issues, I want to keep the carbohydrate content of his dry food as low as possible. Should I stick within the Wellness family of products? Or, is there a better low-carb dry food option out in the world?

Thanks!

ashekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If your kitty eats it without issues and likes it, I would stick with it. They problem is, I can't give you a difinitive answer. Every cat is different and everyone has different opinions on what is the healthiest food. Wellness is a good food.

Then again, if you have only ever fed him Wellness and he is having unexplainable digestive issues, it may make sense to slowly switch him too a different food to see if it is the food that is causing the issues.

I can't be very helpful with dry food recommendations. I don't have a very high budget so I can't afford the very high end cat foods. My cats only eat wet food now, I switched them over about six months ago when my budget changed and I could afford to go to all wet food. I have given my cats Taste of the Wild dry, they loved it and it has very good ingredients for the price. There are better foods out there though, if you can afford them.

I will let others with more experience with dry food give more recommendations. Good luck on your search! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

andys1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If your kitty eats it without issues and likes it, I would stick with it. They problem is, I can't give you a difinitive answer. Every cat is different and everyone has different opinions on what is the healthiest food. Wellness is a good food.
Thanks! I think I'll stick to Wellness.

Fortunately, his tummy issues seemed to correct themselves when I switched from Blue Buffalo wet food to Wellness.

fidola

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm breathing a sigh of relief after reading how much your cat weighs. I just posted regarding my kitten who is same age as yours and weighs around 10lbs. I was worried if she's overweight or just a big cat breed mix.

Do u have a recent photo of your cat you can upload?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

andys1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm breathing a sigh of relief after reading how much your cat weighs. I just posted regarding my kitten who is same age as yours and weighs around 10lbs. I was worried if she's overweight or just a big cat breed mix.

Do u have a recent photo of your cat you can upload?
This picture is from last week. I actually weighed him after I posted my thread to make sure he's still around 11 pounds. He is 10.6 lbs as of today!

According to my vet, 10-11 lbs is perfectly normal for an adult cat. So, it's about a weight-maintaining diet to make sure the kitty isn't getting too much bigger.

IMG_3810.JPG

Dinosnores

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Young Again makes a low carb and zero carb dry food and is very similarly priced to the Wellness, I'd recommend checking it out. I've been feeding it for a while now and have been very impressed.