Need constipation help

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have been to the vet, twice. Had blood and X-rays done on both my 4 month old kittens. They were both severely constipated, to the point they were not eating and barely moving. They each had an enema done and we were sent home with lactulose to be administered twice a day.
One of them has somewhat perked up, played a bit today but mostly sits or lays around. The other lays around all the time, and if he sits up it’s like he can’t keep his eyes open.
Its horrible. This all happened after they were both dewormed on Tuesday, and then received a probiotic once a day for 2 days.
They are on a high quality wet food only diet. Nothing else has changed. The vet said that the poop that came out with the enema was chalky and very smelly but no signs of worms at all. The vet also said in his whole career he’s never seen a case like this.
My question is, is it normal for a constipated cat to be so down and out? Laying around, won’t play, low appetite. It’s like they’re senior cats, that’s how they’re acting.
My vet said they are just very constipated by the X-rays, but I feel like the way they are acting is so extreme for constipation. Though I’ve never dealt with a constipated cat before.
Any thoughts? Advice? At this point I’m worried they’re going to die overnight. I want to trust my vet but I feel like they’re missing something.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What brand of canned food are you feeding? Too much bone / calcium is known to cause constipation in raw fed cats. Canned food shouldn't have too much calcium but maybe try a different brand for awhile just to see if that makes any difference?

Instead of lactulose which some cats may not like to take, you can try Miralax or generic equivalent instead. Ask the vet first. Or a different vet if you don't feel the current vet is addressing the issue. Most cats don't notice the Miralax (dissolved in some water first) in their canned food.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with LTS above. There is frequently people on the forum saying no difference after lactulose. I go to a cat only clinic and my vet straight to Restorilax for our cat which is the same as Miralax. You'll need a vet to tell you the dosage for such young cats.

Yes severe constipation can cause those symptoms.

When I look at the kitten poo chart, it says abdominal infection or imbalance. Did your vet run the stool sample culture?

Has blood work been run?

Have they pooed again? What colour and consistency is it?

Kitten Care Basics • Kitten Rescue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with LTS above. There is frequently people on the forum saying no difference after lactulose. I go to a cat only clinic and my vet straight to Restorilax for our cat which is the same as Miralax. You'll need a vet to tell you the dosage for such young cats.

Yes severe constipation can cause those symptoms.

When I look at the kitten poo chart, it says abdominal infection or imbalance. Did your vet run the stool sample culture?

Has blood work been run?

Have they pooed again? What colour and consistency is it?

Kitten Care Basics • Kitten Rescue.
Yes blood tests were done, white cells were just slightly raised but vet said not enough for antibiotics to be needed.
. They have both pooped again yes, goes between light brown and soft and dark brown.
They have not run a fecal, no, but probably will tomorrow as I will be back yet again. They’re both totally lethargic today, no change from yesterday. They ate breakfast and I noticed one having a big drink which is good, but energy levels are just terrible. I’m really starting to wonder if it’s an infection of some sort and they need an antibiotic shot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What brand of canned food are you feeding? Too much bone / calcium is known to cause constipation in raw fed cats. Canned food shouldn't have too much calcium but maybe try a different brand for awhile just to see if that makes any difference?

Instead of lactulose which some cats may not like to take, you can try Miralax or generic equivalent instead. Ask the vet first. Or a different vet if you don't feel the current vet is addressing the issue. Most cats don't notice the Miralax (dissolved in some water first) in their canned food.
Performatrin kitten, fancy feast classics.
I’ll ask about Miralax at my vet tomorrow. I was there three times last week, and back tomorrow. This feels never ending.