Need an expert opinion please :)

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! I really need some opinions before my anxiety gets the best of me. LOL

The picture below is of my sphynx girl, Molly. She is a year old and may have been bred by our male sphynx and I'm looking for some advice on her condition. She would be 32 days today. She only has 2 boobies that turned pink. But look at her mammaries, I've never seen them that large before plus she's gotten firmer in the abdominal area. I first started noticing the firmer area about 2 weeks after she may have been bred. I did not witness a penetration, but my boy was trying his hardest LOL. He's still under a year and still not all with it in terms of breeding. He IS trying though, which is good to see. This would be my first sphynx pregnancy, and without hair, you can see SO MUCH MORE!!!

She has not gone back into heat either, which I know could still happen. I just need to know what it is I'm looking at. Taking her to the vet to me is wasteful of my time. Alot of times they just say they don't know and if all her boobies aren't pinked up, I'm sure they'd say no. I do plan on calling my vet to see what she thinks without seeing her, but I would like to hear opinions before then. Xrays won't show kittens for a couple more weeks at least. I just want to know one way or the other. I wouldn't treat her any differently than I currently do. All of my cats eat very high quality food as well as kitten food (for the kitten in the house).

Please talk to me, I need someone else's expert opinion. Puuleeeeeze

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First litters don't pink up on every nipple - usually its only the back ones or 4 of them (not the ones nearest to the front legs). If her nipples are a lot larger then a few months ago, I would say she is pregnant.

Remember they really don't even look pregnant till around 5-6 weeks pregnant. I'm sure you will see more "kitten" bodies on the sides in the next 2 weeks. That would make her about 6 weeks pregnant by then.

Will be interesting to see what she produces for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
AHA!!!! An expert's opinion!! Hubby just said he still doesn't believe it LOL. I believe what I'm seeing is a pregnancy despite what hubby says. You just get a hunch sometimes, and I always remind him of how I'm always right LOL. This is true normally for alot of things, I just hope I'm not proven wrong by wishful thinking.

Thank goodness for your answer about the boobies. It totally makes sense now, and because my Bonnie had her first litter last year, her boobies basically exploded on the 3 week mark and were hot pink so I was kinda going by that. Now, being that this isn't my first cat pregnancy, I know what to look for but this is my first Sphynx pregnancy if she is indeed pregnant.

GK, what did you think of her swollen mammaries? With normal coated cats, you wouldn't see that, so when I see that it sure screams pregnancy to me.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only sign my Meeko was preg was her nipples pinked up.
She looks preg to me.
I tried to respond to you on the sphynx list but my email has not been going through.

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much Jacky!!!

That's 2 votes for yes and 0 votes for no! Hubby is gonna lose on this one LOL

I just told Molly that we're gonna prove Daddy wrong LOL. Just showed him the sides of her abdomen and he thinks she is just getting fat. Geez, if we all thought that when we were first pregnant, there'd be a lot of OMGs gasped!! LOL

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tell you the truth all my pregnant cats had fur (Cornish Rex and Russian Blue) - so it may be quite normal looking for any cat - just that you notice everything on a furless belly

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
GK, yes and I knew that about your prior breedings that they all had hair. But, when you're dealing with experts in our field, just the smallest of insight is so helpful as you provided to me earlier.

I love knowing that I will be answered by someone in-the-know here at TCS. Now I just need to ask my vet and it'll be smooth sailing after that

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Jacky, once I get some kind of firm confirmation (other than my own) that she is indeed pregnant, I will be able to figure things out. She would be due January 9, according to my calculations. If I am unable to come down there in January, trust me I will find a time when it is suitable for us both. First week of March we're going to the Dominican, so Grandpa will be here watching the house, kids and cats. My dad is very well versed in the kitten raising dept so I know he'd do fine with my as always, explicit instructions LOL

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe I will have my 3rd sphynx by then.
I have not had any luck finding a good sphynx to show.
You can always make a trip in Sept for the TICA Annual.
I will be going to that.
It is less thn 2 hours from here.
Is your cattery website finished yet?
It is good you have a cat sitter.

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Jacky, it's ALMOST finished. I haven't published it on any search engines, and I've not officially announced it here. There are a few adjustments needed as I don't have access to the formatting. We own the site and the domain etc, but it's hubby who knows the way to fix it all up and he's not taught me how to do anything with it. There's just a few pics that need to be changed and a couple typos to be corrected.

I would love to go to the TICA annual, I would just love to get back to CA period for the warmth! It's almost -30 C here right now, it's gonna be a long haul till May.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are not going to believe this.
They expect 4 inches of snow here tomorrow.
We have been in 20's the last few nights with highs in the 40's.
We have a winter storm warning and a hard freeze warning.
Let me know if you can come early next year.

lele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry it took me so long to reply.....Don't want to be Debbie downer (she may be very well pregnant) but the swollen mammaries do show in sphynx when they are cycling in and out of heat and are not necessarily a sign of pregnancy. All of my girls will get very pink nipples and they will enlarge over the next week or two you should be able to start seeing definate signs. If you are still questioning it in two weeks I would say she is not. I will cross my fingers for you!!! Nonetheless, if she isnt now it should be soon. Sounds like everyone is ready to go!! I'm excited for you and the girls. Still miss those sweet babies... :-)

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
lele, thanks so much for responding!! I have booked an appt for the vet tomorrow afternoon and will see if she can palpatate her abdomen and feel what I feel. If nothing else, it will put my mind at ease because it is driving me to insanity wondering.

I didn't know the mammaries would stay large constantly. This is all new for me because I can SEE what is going on. Her abdomen is quite firm so that in itself has me wondering.

The nipple thing also...I know what I should expect and it's not all of them. Another confusing sign for me. I know that if she is NOT preggo, that she WILL get pregnant some time. Maddie has yet to go into heat and that was Molly's first VOCAL heat and it was strong.

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let us know what the vet says as soon as you can

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, as frustrating as it is, the vet says she thinks it's possible because of the firmness of her body, so she had the other vet examine her as well. That vet said he couldn't rule in either direction and the only way to detect it for sure is to wait another 1.5 weeks or get an ultrasound. We're just discussing it now and will continue after supper.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The ultrasound is great but sometimes they get the number of kittens wrong.
I was told Coco had 3 kittens but there was 5.
I hope you will get good news if you do the ultrasound.

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Jacky, we haven't decided yes or no to the ultrasound yet. Hubby doesn't think she's pregnant, but I am out to prove him wrong and a great step was taken towards that today LOL

The vet felt what I have been feeling...what a pregnant tummy feels like in the beginning stages--fullness and firmness. The second vet wasn't convinced either for or against, but did comment on her mammaries being so large and that's what has made him think more YES than no.

*Sigh* don't know what to do, I guess I'll see with more talking tonight LOL.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my Meeko was preg I argued with my brother.
She did not live with me at the leave time and I had to leave her at my dads until we found a place that took cats.
He swore the male was fixed but he wasnt.
I got my my cats back and noticed Meekos nipples were pink.
I told my brother I think she is preg and 2 weeks before Yoshi was born I went to the vet and he still was not sure.
Meeko just had 1 kitten and you would have never known she was preg except for her nipples.
I did feel Yoshi kick though.