Need an alternative to Revolution

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cats, Eclipse who goes out on a leash daily and Fluffy who doesn't like the leash but loves hanging out in the mesh tent in the yard.   I treat Eclipse w/Revolution but Fluffy had a slight reaction to it so I have been treating her with Advantage which only kills fleas.  I have seen Advantage Multi on-line but haven't found it in stores.

Is the Advantage enough for Fluffy.  I'm worried Eclipse may bring something in, she is always on him sniffing when he returns.  We also have possum, raccoons, ducks, squirrels and skunks as well as feral cats tromping through our yard.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I use Advantage on my indoor cats and on the colony cats during the off-tick season. Not sure if you have ticks in your area. I use Frontline Plus for ticks and fleas, it works well against ticks but not as well as for fleas, only about a two week coverage for them. I think Advantage should be fine for fluffy.

boutoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is comfortis or frontline.

Frontline is non prescription and comfortis is prescription only and is an oral. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My daughter had goggled Frontline while we were at the store.  I forget why we didn't want that one.

boutoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I work at a vet and people don't have the greatest luck with frontline. I recommend trying comfortis if you think you can get a pill down kitties throat. 

Damn fleas.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would suggest against comfortis. I knew of two dogs that went blind while taking comfortis, I understand that there are possible side affects, albeit rare ones but still I think blindness shouldn't be one of them. I wanted you to be aware of that before you gave it to your kitties. I try very much to stay away from ingested flea pesticides as its still a pesticide and the cat will be ingesting it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That may be why my vet didn't suggest it when I asked what else I could use on Fluff.  He just said get something at the pet store.

boutoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have never heard of a dog or cat going blind while taking comfortis in all my experience working at a vet. 

Not saying that it hasn't happened, just that if it has, it is rare.

Because, if it wasn't, it wouldn't be sold. 

Last edited: