Need advise on finding my girl a company

goo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I am not even sure if this is the right place to post, feel free to move it if it isn't.

I adopted a cute little girl (born aug 2009) back in July and she is the most tamed cat I ever met. By tamed I mean I don't even have a single scratch from her after 5 mths and she has 0 aggression.

She is a tiny mix scottish fold(we assume) and to give you an idea how tiny she is the vet suggest her ideal weight to be about 7lb.

Long story short, I lost my 16yrs old cat last week and I will be starting to look for a new family member. My prev cat are both big boys(15+ lb) and I know how rough boys play and fight.

Should I be worried about bringing in another cat? If my 16yrs old that could barely walk could still dominate her, I am kind of worry about bringing in a kitten or young cat.

Anyone have experience with such situation?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Visit your shelter or rescue center, and search on Pet Finder, let the shelters and rescues know you are looking for a stable calm motherly-to-other-cats type cat.

I'm sorry for your loss of your older kitty.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

Visit your shelter or rescue center, and search on Pet Finder, let the shelters and rescues know you are looking for a stable calm motherly-to-other-cats type cat.

I'm sorry for your loss of your older kitty.

I would go with a rescue, as they seem to know the cats very very well...
When I adopted mine, I would tell the rescuer exactly what I was looking for as far as personalities, and she send me three matches made in heaven - so much so that my longest introduction took probably a day (before this last one, that was not through a rescue, but it is a whole other story entirely
)
Because rescues live in a house with the rescues (usually), they get to know the cats in a personal level, how they interact with other cats, in a home environment... It is different from a shelter IMHO.
This is the route I took and I highly recommend it - you would be saving a life all the same, as rescues pull cats from shelters, so nothing to feel bad about it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess i have to put my plan for a Maine Coon or Ragdoll on hold then, I prefer a bigger cat. Maybe I miss my boys too much.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Goo

I guess i have to put my plan for a Maine Coon or Ragdoll on hold then, I prefer a bigger cat. Maybe I miss my boys too much.
There are breed specific rescues too. I just read recently that somewhere up around 25 % of cats in rescues and shelters are pure bred. I don't know if that is accurate, but there are certainly some pure bred cats in shelters and rescues.

Just don't make the mistake of trying to duplicate a kitty who has passed on. Each cat is an individual, and it isn't fair to adopt a cat because he looks just like a kitty you once had, and expect him to be the same.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

There are breed specific rescues too. I just read recently that somewhere up around 25 % of cats in rescues and shelters are pure bred. I don't know if that is accurate, but there are certainly some pure bred cats in shelters and rescues.

Just don't make the mistake of trying to duplicate a kitty who has passed on. Each cat is an individual, and it isn't fair to adopt a cat because he looks just like a kitty you once had, and expect him to be the same.
Sure there are... I have 2 purebred rescues, Bugsy and Lucky... Hope came from the same rescue, but is a DLH. The rescue my kitties came from is a purebred Ragdoll and Maine coon rescue, coincidentally

ummm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of our cats Kunik is thought to be a Scottish Fold (with straight ears). He's on the small size too - he's about 1.5 years old, was about 7lb when we adopted him from the rescue, and is now about 7.75lb. The vet thinks he should be around 8-9lb. (You can see his picture if you click on his picture next to my name - he's the one with the big round head!)

He was very lonely after we adopted him (his old foster home had 5 other cats). So 2 weeks after that we adopted another cat who is a Maine Coon (mix?) around 2-3 years old. They get along fine, but Kunik likes to chase and wrestle, and Tallulah doesn't.

So 3 months after we adopted Kunik, we adopted a 5 months old Siamese mix boy, Sesame. Kunik and Sesame will chase and wrestle all the time!

Luckily all 3 cats get along fine. Hardly any fights, though Kunik gets a little jealous of Sesame I think - the 2 boys have adopted my husband as their person (and Tallulah adopted me). Kunik wasn't a lap cat the first 4 months we had him (Tallulah would sit on my lap, but hardly on husband's). Sesame has been sleeping on husband's lap and hang around him all the time, and Kunik has started sitting on husband's lap the past couple of weeks!

So I think what you should look for with your 2nd cat, will depend on the first cat's personality. While Kunik and Tallulah are a good match, Kunik and Sesame are a better match.

Good luck! Would love to see some pictures of your cat!

(And sorry your older cat passed away
)