Need advice

Gunther4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We recently acquired a feral neutered male "cat" adult. Story is long about the how's and why's but he's having a difficult time adjusting and so are we with the huge hisses and snarls. Currently he has a bedroom to himself - no bed to hide under at the moment but he does have lots of space. He had been friendly for the short time he was at the foster but here ----holy smokes his name was going to be Jr. but now we are leaning towards "Satan" as his name. He will come close to me for food, but just when I think "maybe there is hope" the hiss comes out again and the way he looks at you and yes I do the slow blinks. Any ideas would be welcomed as we want him to enjoy life like our two girls do and boy do they enjoy life. Appreciate any help. Sending him back to the foster is not possible at this time due to distance and their health. Thank you.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, I'd give him a couple of boxes on their side so he can go in, and two chairs with a blanket draped over so he has some places to disappear into. He's feeling incredibly exposed and vulnerable right now as he's working to learn that all the sounds, smells, and activity that's going on around him won't harm him.

That he'll come close to you is a huge accomplishment for him. Something to do is to sit on the floor and read, even sometimes outloud to him, but don't look at him very much. That can seem aggressive to cats even with the slow blink thing. Also try to lie down, with your back to him. Turning their back can mean they're ignoring you, so being there but ignoring him gives him the emotional space to do some more figuring out of things.

You'll want to adjust your expectations. Things will occur on his timeline, which could be very, very slowly. You have all the time in the world, there's no need to rush. He's with you, safe, warm, fed and sheltered.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree that with almost any rehabilitated feral, there is a very long timeline for socialization.

https://americanpetsalive.org/uploa...ing-Cats-that-are-nonsocial-to-humans52F6.pdf
This has been compiled from advice given by some well known feral cat rescue groups.

Definitely let him have a den of some sort; he does not realize that you were kind enough to give him a room and sees it as a big open space. I understand you don't want him under a bed or dresser, but a smaller hiding area will help him to build up some trust.

All of my cats have been former ferals.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gunther4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish he would share that timeline calendar with me so I don't feel like I am just totally letting him down

Thank you for the info I will take any and all advice as I want this to be successful for him and us.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are not letting him down at all. Imagine it from his perspective. He is frightened and does not know if he can trust you yet, but a lot of this is coming from his previous experiences. Having a safe place with food, shelter, and protection in your home might seem to him like the most incredible thing that has ever happened to him.

taming a feral cat - Google Search
Some videos which might help

Last edited:

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with what the others have said. I think you're on the right track - it will just take time - and it has to be on his terms and timeline. Maybe try to find his "thing". Maybe it's a toy where you can interact? Maybe it's food - one of those mousse tubes? Maybe some background noise to help mute some of the other unfamiliar "new house" noises. The payoff will most likely be worth it!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
We recently acquired a feral neutered male "cat" adult. Story is long about the how's and why's but he's having a difficult time adjusting and so are we with the huge hisses and snarls. Currently he has a bedroom to himself - no bed to hide under at the moment but he does have lots of space. He had been friendly for the short time he was at the foster but here ----holy smokes his name was going to be Jr. but now we are leaning towards "Satan" as his name. He will come close to me for food, but just when I think "maybe there is hope" the hiss comes out again and the way he looks at you and yes I do the slow blinks. Any ideas would be welcomed as we want him to enjoy life like our two girls do and boy do they enjoy life. Appreciate any help. Sending him back to the foster is not possible at this time due to distance and their health. Thank you.
One of my cats is defensive about her food so it makes since for him to growl. When I rescued my cat Maggie she had an enclosed bed and I would softly talk to her. Be wary of noise from outside or the tv. My cats like music,not to loud. Your new cat would not have made it if you did not rescue him! This always reminds me of Grandpa Mason,battle scarred feral rescued that befriended many kittens

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This may sound odd, but please also adjust your wording for him.

He's a scared cat, not a bad cat. Adjusting your words will help shift your perspective which will help increase your bond.

Hissing is not agression, it is communication. It's saying, "I don't like that!" "You're going to fast for me!" Cats don't have words to talk to us about these things, or each other. Their vocalizations are their communication.

Growling can be agressive. Fear often comes out as agression. We often think of cats as these great predators, but they are actually mid-food chain. They are at risk to be eaten from foxes, coyotes, wolves, some weasels etc. Plus they have to fight for their food with raccoons, owls, foxes, other weasels and similar sized carnivores. Food insecurity for cats who have lived outside is VERY normal.

As he gets used to the idea that you will help protect his food and not steal his food, he will cease growling.

A tube treat is a great idea. Even to start, providing the food and sitting down with your back to him (go slowly), or your side to him and reading a book outloud might be helpful. You may start with reading a book outside the door while he's eating or outside of a gate where there's some visual.

Use words with him. He will learn what some mean. If he grows, in a soft voice tell him you won't take his food. I've worked with a few food insecure cats and it's really beneficial to use words during desensitization and training.

Gunther4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I'd give him a couple of boxes on their side so he can go in, and two chairs with a blanket draped over so he has some places to disappear into. He's feeling incredibly exposed and vulnerable right now as he's working to learn that all the sounds, smells, and activity that's going on around him won't harm him.

That he'll come close to you is a huge accomplishment for him. Something to do is to sit on the floor and read, even sometimes outloud to him, but don't look at him very much. That can seem aggressive to cats even with the slow blink thing. Also try to lie down, with your back to him. Turning their back can mean they're ignoring you, so being there but ignoring him gives him the emotional space to do some more figuring out of things.

You'll want to adjust your expectations. Things will occur on his timeline, which could be very, very slowly. You have all the time in the world, there's no need to rush. He's with you, safe, warm, fed and sheltered.

Gunther4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the tip on the boxes he now has his own box condo which is his "man" cave which he will saunter out of to get food but still is a hissing machine about any attempt to interact. But as you say no need to rush. Oh and he has now decided to get picky about food, he likes chicken and turns his nose up at fish flavors - I think I have a feral diva.

Gunther4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well hope springs eternal, per advice given he has a box that he seems to relish. I purchased a door screen on Amazon which is great, our current cats can be on one side of the screen and Mr. Hiss-a-Mania on the other although none of the cats have hissed at each, it seems he likes to bestow that at me. The youngest of the two cats who rarely meows has gone up to the screen a number of times and did her little meows and chirps to no avail, it seems like she is trying to tell him Hey we can be friends, just get to know me but it's met by wide stares and disinterest. But as everyone advised it will take time. Happy that he' safe, well well fed and as comfortable as he will allow himself to be in a new place. Appreciate all the advice and the links that were provided to other sites with info. Makes me feel better that we are on the right track (fingers crossed). Be well.

Gunther4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh rest assured I will be a pest on this site, despite having had cats most of my life this fellow is a whole new adventure. Our sweet male cat Gunther passed last summer at the age of 24 years 8 months of age. Ultimate TV buddy to my husband, had no idea that cats liked golf..lol Hopes are JR will just get to where he is happy, healthy and doesn't mind the two busy body female cats no requirement for him on liking golf.

Gunther4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh rest assured I will be a pest on this site, despite having had cats most of my life this fellow is a whole new adventure. Our sweet male cat Gunther passed last summer at the age of 24 years 8 months of age. Ultimate TV buddy to my husband, had no idea that cats liked golf..lol Hopes are JR will just get to where he is happy, healthy and doesn't mind the two busy body female cats no requirement for him on liking golf.

Gunther4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today at 12:32 PM
Hi - I do appreciate the helpful advice and hints to try with our Hissing machine. He has a box (actually 2 but he likes the one better). He has a chair to plop on and a tree and a closet (which he refuses to visit) and nothing is working - it's been a month and we are still met with hisses. He happily eats chicken out of my hand but try to touch him and holy smokes - teeth and hiss. He is also addicted to Gerber chicken baby food. And frankly now I am a bit afraid of him - any ideas? I do have heavy gloves from Amazon that "say" they are for handling animals but will t his set him even further back? - Thank you

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Exactly when does he hiss? Is that why you are afraid of him? When my cat peaches was younger she would hiss or growl if someone tried to take her food. She's now 10. Some cats do take more time to adjust.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Coco was born on my porch,taken 5 weeks old from her mom,came back 1 yr old. Under my couch for 3 months,bedroom for a year,then came out on her own. She's now with me,8 yrs old. Long story in my profile. Is he fixed?
20170425_203134-COLLAGE.jpg

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Also want to add,any cat I have rescued does not like a tall creature walking towards him/ her so i would get down at his/her level. If your having trouble patting start on th floor,cheeks,head tail very slowly progressing. How old is he? Also no loud talking

Last edited: