Need Advice.

TheCatLady35

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone,I new on here. I Will be fostering a Pregnant Cat. I have foster kittens,who were 1 week old but never a mom that's going to have babies. I dont know what to do,I have So many questions. I work just wondered if the momma will be ok alone? I will come home on my lunch and break to check on her. Another question is should she have the run of the house or should I leave her in a room? Thanks

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd leave her in one room. You don't want her to decide to have the kittens in an uncontrolled space. In most cases, Mom should be fine and able to take care of the kittens without human intervention. The risky moments are birth, if she has a hard labor or complications, and immediately after when you find out if she is a good momma. I wouldn't borrow trouble and stress too much. Just make sure you know the local emergency vet incase things go sideways and remember to weigh the kittens to make sure all the babies are nursing well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TheCatLady35

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd leave her in one room. You don't want her to decide to have the kittens in an uncontrolled space. In most cases, Mom should be fine and able to take care of the kittens without human intervention. The risky moments are birth, if she has a hard labor or complications, and immediately after when you find out if she is a good momma. I wouldn't borrow trouble and stress too much. Just make sure you know the local emergency vet incase things go sideways and remember to weigh the kittens to make sure all the babies are nursing well.
Where would i get a scale so I can weigh them?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree. So one room. Besides, a high preg is only happy with ONE safe room, her safe room, she doesnt need much more.
Its Ok too to leave her during days, especielly as you will visit her and check up during the day. IF there are any complications, you will notice this.

With any luck, having a momma taking care of 98% of the work, will make it easier for you than the first time, when you alone handraised the kittens.

Observe if the momma is shy - and many are esp if semiferales or dumped and long term homeless - she will almost surely copy. Let her land, and as soon she notices you are friendly and she and her children are safe, she will copy and even allow you to handle the kittens. Its not sure you will manage to foster a shy momma, but you will practically sure be able to foster the kittens, without protests from momma. As long as you do it respectfully...
No 100% bet, but a pretty sure rule of thumb.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here is an article about weighing kittens...

Weighing Newborn Kittens (and How This Could Save Their Lives)

Most kitchen scales will work well for weighing kittens. You only need it to go up to two pounds and kitchen scales can do the smaller weights of newborns. You can use a bowl lined with a clean cloth and zero it out so squiggly kittens stay in place.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Walmart has kitchen scales.

Make sure to put mom’s food, water, and litter bowls in the room where she is staying.