Need Advice

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hi, so I have posted before about my cat Logan who randomly pees on the dog beds, and how we are pretty sure it’s a behavioral issue, since medical issues have been ruled out. So I’ve been dealing with the peeing on the dog bed issue and while a pain it’s something I can deal with however today he peed on my couch! I was sooo mad. We all know how bad cat pee smells and even if you clean the area really well it’s hard to get the smell out and with a couch it goes into the cracks and all that padding, and I can’t just throw it in the washer. So right now I cleaned it as best I could and I put some water proof blankets on the couch, but peeing on the couch is not ok! This couch is pretty new too. So I came up with a plan but I don’t know if it is mean.

So Logan likes to go outside, infact the first time he got outside by mistake he stayed out in the yard for three hours and when he came back inside, he didn’t pee on a dog bed for over a week which was a record for him. So I was thinking that I will let him be outside during the day, and when I bring him in in he evenings I’ll put him and his “brother” cat Charlie in my cat room, it’s a large room, all hardwood, lots of toys and cat furniture, and most importantly nothing to pee on that can’t be easily cleaned.

This is the only thing can think of to do. Like I said peeing on the dog beds is one thing but the couch is another.

You think my plan would be ok?
Or I’ll take any other suggestions.
Thanks!

Also my yard is pretty secure, no spots for him to squeeze out as I have been watching him. Eventually I realize as he is more use to being outside that he is a cat and will eventually find a way. But... I don’t know what to do.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am assuming he has been neutered? if not that's the first thing to do. If the vet has ruled out all medical reasons, then it most likely is a territory thing. i have not faced this with my cats, but i know there are enzyme cleanser and sprays you can get for the couch and such, so that he wont smell where he marked and do it again. Maybe others will chime in on how they have dealt with this.

Im torn when it comes to inside outside cats. I grew up, a long time ago :), on a farm and we always had outside cats. some lived a long time, some did not, but then it was just seen more as the natural order of things. My neighborhood has inside outside cats. There are several ferals in the neighborhood that i feed as well, some of them have been around several years. I do see them hurt and beat up occasionally, toms like to fight, and im sure dogs and things bother them. Most cats enjoy outside, and i think they do miss out when we keep them in. But they miss out on the bad as well. My inside 4 never get out, and i hope they never do, i don't think i could take the stress :) told you i am torn..lol. That being said outside during the day, and in at night may be your best option, only you can decide what is best for you and your cats. In some rural areas, and in many other countries outside cats are still the norm. Best of luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes he is neutered, this actually all started a week after he was neutered. When he goes outside (at least for now which has only been 3 times) he stays in the yard and lays in the grass or sits on the table outside. I’ve tried all different types of cleaners and nothing worked on the dog beds and now that he started with the couch I’m at my end. I can lock him and his brother in the cat room when I’m at work or sleeping and try to make sure to teach them not to be on the couch, but he is stubborn and doesn’t learn were my other cat after 5 minutes got the hint and hasn’t even tried jumping on the couch. I think maybe for him being outside, on days I’m off work would be good as long as he doesn’t start wondering off, then I’ll have to come up with another situation. It’s so frustrating because he loves the dogs and his brother cat, he loves me and all people and isn’t scared of anything, but I guess maybe he is just naturally territorial or something.