Need Advice

nicolelj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As some of you may have read my cat Zen was at the vet for having a blockage in his urinary track and for crystals.  He even went on a 4 day adventure in the vets ceiling.  lol  Anyway when he got home he seemed fine and since we had 2 other cats it was hard to tell if he was using the litter box or not.  Well the next day we discovered that he had a slight litter box aversion.  We are working on that and he has not had an accident since Friday.  Anyway our issue is how to get rid of the odour where he had accidents.  He peed on 2 couches, an old desk chair(we are replacing that) and a kitchen chair cushion.  We have tried washing it with a solution of GAIN and water, then spraying with straight vinegar and then as a last resort Lysol fabric refresher that kills bacteria.  Nope none of it worked.  HELP my house stinks.  And no worries Zen has not once gotten in trouble.  I think it was a fear reaction to all the pain he had been in.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The best is an enzyme cleaner. Some common brands are Nature's Miracle and Nok-Out. I have also had good luck with Fizzion.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have had good luck with Petsmart's own brand, called STINK FREE.  It is not an enzyme, it's an oxidizer.  I buy it by the gallon and keep it in spray bottles.  It doesn't have an overpowering smell itself and leaves things quite fresh.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nicolelj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tips and for the thread on removing the urine smell.  That has helped a ton.  Sorry I have taken so long to respond.  Been dealing with trying to get Zen to use a litter box again.  He used one just fine for the first 24 hours then stopped using it and had 4 accidents on different furniture.  So we locked up the other two in a big room that has a cat tree, food, water and plenty of windows and soft sleeping areas, so that I could tell when he was using it.  For 4 days he was using it just fine.  So I let the other two out.  Then he stopped using it again that same day.  She we locked him in our bathroom.  He out right refused to use it.  Going anywhere else in the room, including on the washer and drier and there were no clothes on them.  So now he is grounded to an extra large dog crate for a few days.  Litter box is in there and his food.  Plenty of room to lay down.  Took the lid off the litter box just in case that is the issue.  He went straight in and used it.  But we can't keep the covers off because we have dogs that like litter box crunches and there is no place we can put a litter box that the dogs can't get to it.  So we are going to pick up some of the extra large litter boxes(ours are medium but Zen is a fairly large cat) and after he has shown progress in the crate for a few days I will exchange the medium for the large with the cover on.  Then if I see that he is doing well we will try having him loose in the bathroom again for a few days and progress from there.  I HATE locking him up but I can't have him peeing everywhere.  So trying multiple things.  Let me know if you have any tips.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here are a few suggestions. Make sure if you buy the Nature's Miracle, you get the Urine Destroyer. They make several products and the UD is the one you want.

Try using some Cat Attract litter or additives.  Get the large box as soon as possible. Get one that is a different color than the ones you have. I know they don't see colors, but they do see differences in intensity.