Need Advice With Unfriendly Kitties.

ToriisMommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey fellow kitty fans.

I need a little advice and this might get long so I apologize. My two youngest kitties, Bushy and Wiggy have never gotten along. For the most part, they'd have little spats and that would be the end of it.
Within the last couple of months, it's gotten increasingly worse to the point that Bushy started lashing out and everyone. Neither one of them is spayed and that is the next step. I have been the victim of a few vicious attacks and it's made me lose my trust in Bushy.
I have taken her to the vet to try and figure out what is going on and the vet put her on Zylkene which has worked wonders for her.
I took her to get spayed last week and the procedure could not be done due to her being dehydrated and a newly diagnosed disease, stomatitis. shes currently being treated for that and we hope to get her spayed in the next few weeks. Her blood work came back normal and she's in very good health despite the stomatitis.
After doing lots of research, I found it's best to keep them isolated from each other with Bushy staying in one of the bedrooms with all her essentials.
The problem is, Wiggy knows she's in the bedroom (even after I blocked the view) and she keeps going to the door to antagonize her.

So does anyone have any advice as to how I keep Wiggy away from there?

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish you luck trying to keep Wiggy away from the door. Cats will be cats and they are intelligent. However, it would be best to fix the situation rather than avoid it anyway. Keeping Bushy locked up constantly isn't an ideal situation for anyone. I'm not experienced with cat aggression, but I believe animals have a reason for everything they do. The issue is finding that reason. Someone more informed will come along, but I would probably try reintroducing them. Take it slow. If Wiggy comes close and Bushy doesn't immediately attack, pet him and give him a treat. Reward good behavior. Also, try to play with Bushy as much as you can. It'll reduce the amount of energy he has to spend on attacking and increase his confidence. I don't really know what else to tell you, but I'm sure you'll get some more advice.

**On the off chance anyone noticed that it took, like, three tries to get this completely typed, that was my cat. I think she kept hitting the tab button.**

Last edited:

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How long have you had them? Did you introduce them slowly, swapping scents before the full introduction when they initially met? Perhaps they just don't like each other and in that case starting over completely with the introduction could help. It's hard to say if that will work or not since it sounds like they've been living together in the same quarters for a while, but it's worth a shot.
Other than that I'd say hormones could be playing a large role, so it's good that you're getting the spaying taken care of.

Feliway has worked wonders for a lot people dealing with behavioral problems in their furry friends. I myself just ordered a few calming collars which work in the same for my two newest additions who are more or less scaredy cats rather than aggressive, but I'm still waiting on them to arrive so I can't say whether they actually work at calming kitty or not. To me it seems like a feasible option for your problem as well.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say spay first & give her time for her hormones to get out of her system ..... then reintroduce them. Also don't forget to play with the cat that is getting picked on, one on one. That way you are building up that cat's confidence. I have read many posts about incurable bullies being solved with Prozac ...... however that seems way, way down the road. Best of luck :)