Need advice to encourage 2 kittens from different litters to get along

SliverKn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I've currently got a 13 week old BSH and 14 week old Burmese kitten. Individually they are very sweet. The Burmese is very vocal and loves being petted and stroked. He's playful and purrs a lot. The BSH is the most sweetest kitten. She's just so happy and settled in on the day we brought her home. However, together they just don't go.
The BSH is friendly and did originally want to meet him but he was hissing and growling. The BSH, during the first couple days ignored him and just moved away. Now she's started hissing back. They tolerate eating together and occasionally eat each other's leftovers with no squabbles and have occasionally slept near each other on the cat tree. They also share all the litterboxes. But they will ignore each other when awake and won't interact at all. If they do meet it will just end in a hiss and hiding. Its been a week since since they've met. I wasn't able to do the slow introduction due to the layout of my apartment. I tried a puppy pen enclosure but the burmese has learnt to climb out although the BSH can't yet. They're both really playful and gentle and enjoy the same types of toys and spots on the cat trees. They were both very active chasing and playing with their litter mates. So I see a lot of potential for their relationship but I'm worried they haven't hit it off yet at all. Am I expecting too much in a week?
I was told that even kittens from different litters will get on faster. I'm worried that the burmese's hissing is starting to put off the BSH as she's starting to lose some patience with his consistent unfriendliness. They came home less than 24 hours apart if that's helpful? I would really appreciate any advice or help. I'm really worried about their future because even if they aren't "in love" if they can get along without hiding and hissing I wouldn't worry about leaving them together alone for some time. I'm concerned that it will lead onto adulthood and want to help them get along better. I've ordered one of those feliway plugins to see if it makes a difference but apart from that any tips?

TL:DR 2 kittens from different litters don't get along and I want to help them out and be able to enjoy eachother's company

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've honestly never heard of kittens this young not becoming friends. That doesn't mean that the road is always going to be smooth or instant, just that they can work it out on their own, so don't worry! It might take a week or so.

So don't worry, and don't feel you need to micro them. They will work it out. Kitten plus kitten is as easy as it gets.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SliverKn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've honestly never heard of kittens this young not becoming friends. That doesn't mean that the road is always going to be smooth or instant, just that they can work it out on their own, so don't worry! It might take a week or so.

So don't worry, and don't feel you need to micro them. They will work it out. Kitten plus kitten is as easy as it gets.
Is there anything we can do in the meanwhile to help them along? When they're near eachother I do grab some treats and feed them at the same time and they love it but ignore eachother. They only hiss if they bump into eachother. I don't want to force it but at the same time i want to associate "good things" with eachother. I've always had dogs and these are my first 2 cats so this my experience with dogs. Wondering if I should keep doing this or not?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't need to do anything special at all, just let them have time together, but if you want to, the treat thing can only help. Most kittens are good to go pretty quick, but it can take up to a week or so.

Since these are your first cats, you may have questions about what normal play looks like next, sometimes it can look awfully rough to folks, especially if the same kitten is always the one to run away first, and maybe give a little hiss or squeal at times.