Need advice, psyllium husk to soften stool forever?

fartymonk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a stray with an existing condition: his hip broke and naturally healed, although incorrectly. This hip pushed inwards towards his colon, causing him to have narrower than normal colon passageway.

The condition make even normal stool difficult to pass, which causing blockage in a few days time because the amount that do go out doesn't match the amount queued to go out, really. The hip cannot be repaired without putting him in a large, risky op which the vet won't agree unless it's life or death situation for the cat. Simply put, the cat is fine except for the potential blockage every other day, which is manageable with diet change (adding fiber).

So, the goal is to soften the stool enough to be push through the narrow passageway without getting stuck.

We had him on RC Gastro (Fiber) for two weeks before returning to raw chicken + psyllium husk (the vet ok-ed this because the cat prefer raw meat and we do give raw for our pet and other stray cat).

It's been almost 6 months since, and we see no problem with the cat. Clean butt, normal-sized belly, and we found occasional soft poop in the garden which means he pooped an expected softness of poop.

Is it fine to keep this forever? I read that psyllium husk isn't recommended for long usage because it will lose effectiveness. Considering this is the only thing that work for him, I have no other option. Pumpkin doesn't work as effectively and it's way harder to make sure he eat the necessary amount -which is a large amount- to keep his stool soft. I only need 6% of his diet to be psyllium husk as it's the amount listed in RC. (around a teaspoon daily)

Or maybe anyone knows other ingredient aside from psyllium husk that is easily administer daily to keep the stool soft? Preferably something that can be mixed with raw meat as the cat won't eat kibble unless it's the only thing left, and he'd rather leave to find food on another place before he touched kibble.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know that cats can have Miralax. And there are a BUNCH of stool softeners on the market for cats. I googled "stool softeners for cats, and found a HOST of them. I'd suggest you pick out a few that look good to you, then run them by your vet. I don't have enough experience with this to make an educated suggestion.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Or maybe anyone knows other ingredient aside from psyllium husk that is easily administer daily to keep the stool soft? Preferably something that can be mixed with raw meat as the cat won't eat kibble unless it's the only thing left, and he'd rather leave to find food on another place before he touched kibble.
I think if the psyllium husk is working so far, stick with it till it doesn't work.

(Good thing you have a rare cat that doesn't like kibble! Kibble can be very dehydrating, and doesn't always 'promote' softer stools.)
:biggrin:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask your dvm if it is ok to use it longterm. I hope he stays well with what you are doing 💕

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Absolutely, stick with the psyllium for as long as it is effective (and it may always be), but get a back-up list, so you are ready to go if it loses effectiveness. You don't want to be floundering around if and when your "tried and true" stops working.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fartymonk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, thanks for the ideas. Yeah, so far, I'm sticking with psyllium husk, hahaha. Just trying to find an alternative should the worst happen. RC Fiber recommended 2 months use, I think, and afterwards, vet visit is recommended to 'grant' further use. If someone have experience the 'losing effectiveness' I'd like to know how long it took to happen just so I can be prepared. 6 months is already a 'long time'.

I know about Miralax and it was the first thing I ask my vet on our visit to have stool extraction for the second time. FYI, Miralax doesn't exist where I live, so the vet here doesn't know of it. We had another laxative commonly prescribed for pets and Dulcolax, which they did prescribed on that visit. Another FYI, the laxative and Dulcolax that available here is the one with lactulose, while Miralax uses polyethilene glycol.

I don't know if Miralax would work, given no laxative with the same ingredient exist here afaik. However lactulose-based product did not work. The cat still have blockages and need to have stool extraction done again to clear it up.

I think "docusate sodium" will work as it is marketed as "stool softener", not laxatives. Dulcolax has a product with this ingredient. But again, like Miralax, this particular type of Dulcolax doesn't exist where I live.... 😭 I found one online seller selling Kirkland brand with this ingredient, but the seller is questionable at best and I never heard of the brand, so I didn't try it. Maybe someone here had experience with the brand?

That's about what I can find before I settle with psyllium, thus the reason I stick with it for this long.

fartymonk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ask your dvm if it is ok to use it longterm. I hope he stays well with what you are doing 💕
The vet already told us that his condition is for life. I just remembered that I did bring this up when the topic of psyllium husk came about. The vet never heard of that happening. At least, their patient prescribed with RC Fiber never complained about it losing effectiveness. Even if there is, there's no other way but to use RC Fiber / psyllium husk until the day nature take over because otherwise, the cat would die from blockage sooner or later.

You could say, this is the only thing that keep my worry in check.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet already told us that his condition is for life. I just remembered that I did bring this up when the topic of psyllium husk came about. The vet never heard of that happening. At least, their patient prescribed with RC Fiber never complained about it losing effectiveness. Even if there is, there's no other way but to use RC Fiber / psyllium husk until the day nature take over because otherwise, the cat would die from blockage sooner or later.

You could say, this is the only thing that keep my worry in check.
Ok, when you said someone said not to use it long-term I thought you meant it was gonna have some ill effect maybe. If your DVM thinks it’s OK I would just keep using it. I am not sure what else you can use for fiber I will try and look and see. When I used psyllium husk for my cats they had a bad reaction to it so I use pumpkin.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found on a list of fiber rich foods for cats that ice berg lettuce can also be used- one of my cats years ago LOVED it. If I took lettuce out of the fridge in certain to make a salad she would come running from any part of the house lol and insist on eating some 😹. I am not sure if that would help with your kitties health problems though. It is probably an acquired taste and cats because none of my other cats have ever showed any interest in lettuce.

fartymonk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found on a list of fiber rich foods for cats that ice berg lettuce can also be used- one of my cats years ago LOVED it. If I took lettuce out of the fridge in certain to make a salad she would come running from any part of the house lol and insist on eating some 😹. I am not sure if that would help with your kitties health problems though. It is probably an acquired taste and cats because none of my other cats have ever showed any interest in lettuce.

Hahaha, that is one gourmet cat. I do have cats that love to eat sweet fruit like mangos, papayas, bananas, or even munch on carrot, lemongrass, and orange kabocha. Never leafy veggies though, so I guess yeah, that's an acquired taste.

Oh, talking about this makes me remember about wheatgrass! It has less fiber than psyllium but maybe if I make a juice out of it, I can get the same amount of fiber without it overpowering the meat...

I guess I'll try the plants first as it is more accessible to me than the meds and see if it works as good.

Thanks for the insight!

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pumpkin can work for some cats. That would be plain pumpkin, no cinnamon or nutmeg/ spices -- just plain, canned pumpkin. You have to test it on your cat to see if it helps with constipation versus diarrhea issues -- it's a fiber that can go either way, depending on the cat. A lot of cats don't like the canned pumpkin, though, and people have more luck with sprinkling a bit of powdered pumpkin on top of the cat food.