Need Advice: Potential Cancer Diagnosis

xthoroughbred

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just received a call from my vet with bad news. I took my 14 year old cat in because we was acting off--hungry but not eating as much as he used to, not as excited to see me, a little more subdued, etc. They ran a variety of bloodwork, some of which they were able to compare to last month when I took him in for a URI. He was given an antibiotic and Cerenia at that appointment. Here are the results.

"A slightly angry pancreas" (which was also angry a month ago)
PCV: 25% (it was 30% last month, so that is concerning)
Creatinine: 2.9
BUN: 26
Ulcers in his mouth (weren't there a month ago)

He has hyperthyroidism, high blood pressure, and stomatitis, but his kidney values have never been off before. I've been feeding low phosphorous food for the past two years.

My vet said that this bloodwork is likely an indication that he has cancer somewhere. Of course, I'm devastated. I've made an appointment for an ultrasound next week but I'm also wondering if it's unnecessary. I definitely want the peace of mind in knowing what he has if we have to euthanize him, but he hates the vet and hates to be restrained and flipped around. Has anyone seen similar numbers like this? Should I stop here and admit that I'm just prolonging the inevitable?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If you need the peace of mind of knowing what is wrong, you might want to pursue the ultrasound. If you will be okay making a decision based on a conversation with the vet then possibly you can skip the ultrasound. I have done lots of them on dogs and cats and last few were on Jamie, a 3 year old cat. He has to be sedated, wakes up madder than a hornet and won't let anyone put him in his carrier but me, but he survives. Personally, I always want to know a little more than the first round of testing if something that serious is on the table.

Pouncecat1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do the ultrasound. Bloodwork and x rays don't detect cancer. They can hint at cancer, but that is all. There are treatments available depending on the type of cancer and diagnosis.

It could be inflammatory bowel disease or small cell lymphoma. See the ibd kitties website. Cancer is a possibility because of age.