need advice possible ringworm on feral cat

bastfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay deleting my first version of this as I was hysterical.    There's spot on my Big Guy's cheekbone that looks very much like ringworm.   I can  handle him just fine but my other indoor kitty is his feral mother who cannot be pilled or restrained in any way.   I'm really worried about what I'm going to do if she needs treatment.    The last time I fought the ringworm battle it was 18 years ago and required many weeks of pills and baths - all completely impossible for Patches.    Have there been any advancements in 18 years?   What are my options?   Big Guy sees the vet Saturday  so hopefully I'll know something for sure then.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

bastfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know if this matters but Big Guy is 8 years old and Patches is 10.    He's long-haired and she's short-haired and both are healthy.    Any chance they might resist it on their own?

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ringworm is such a pain.  It is pretty much around all the time.  Unless the cat's immune system is weakened, they can usually fight it off and won't develop the sores.

So where and when do you think the ringworm came from?  If it was recently introduced into the house and their immune systems are up to snuff, they should be OK.

But their immune systems may be weakened for some reason, so I think I'd have Big Guy checked by the vet, just in case.

Good luck!  I had a ringworm breakout about three years ago and do not want to repeat the experience.

bastfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks Ondine, yep Big Guy guys to the vet tomorrow.    My recent apartment move was really hard on both cats but particularly him and there are constant sources of noise stress around the apartment (TWO  neighbors who crate their barking dogs) which may add to stress for him - certainly me!    Both he and Patches had a little flare of their feline herpes eye virus over the last few weeks but it had calmed down - still another sign of the stress though.

And yes it is dreadful, did you get it yourself?   I did years ago - hard to get rid of on humans too and embarrassing.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got a small spot on my wrist but my sister used to get it a lot as a child, which is why it doesn't bother me too much.  I had friends who came to visit, saw the kittens with ringworm and turned right around and left!  If it wasn't so sad, I'd have laughed.

People don't wash their hands after using the toilet but freak out about ringworm.  Geez!

Good luck at the vet!

bastfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You'll probably think I'm a sissy too but I'd run from kittens with ringworm also.    While it's certainly not lethal it is really hard to treat and get rid of - it lingered in my mother's home after its initial introduction for THIRTY YEARS.    She still has problems with it to this day and I still sometimes pick it up when I go visit her.   In fact that is where this current ringworm may have come from.  Any skin disease that's very contagious and hard to get rid of that makes unsightly sores is a problem!     All that said though I'll still be relieved in a way if the vet says what Big Guy has is ringworm because the other alternatives would be worse - his spot isn't responding to antibiotic ointment.

Last edited:

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most people don't realize that ringworm, like most viruses/fungi/germs, is out there all the time.  It shows up because the immune system of a person or animal has become compromised in some way.  My sister would get a cold, develop bronchitis and within a week, have a ringworm sore.

So, technically speaking, you can't run away from it! 

You can be vigilant, though, and it sounds like you have been.  BTW  - the antibiotic ointment won't help (and may hurt).  It may kill the "good" bugs naturally on your skin that are helping fight of the ringworm fungus.  Most likely, the vet will treat it with an anti-fungal.

bastfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So update looks like it's NOT ring worm.   Whew!!!!     It seems he has a scratch probably from harassing his mother too much and the his habit of rubbing his face into cabinets to open them made the scratch not heal cleanly.      The vet gave me some anti-bacterial anti-fungal stuff of a different consistency that should work better than the gel I was using.    Thanks again for the support!