Need advice on this product please

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Cat Lovers:
By mistake I was sent a case of Blue Limited Ingredient Fish and Potato cans for my cat instead of the usual Turkey and potato.
I alerted the Buffalo Blue company of the error and asked them what fish was in it. They told me it was whitefish, cod and pollock. I decided to try the fish to see if it might be the answer to her constant scratching and licking allergy -- and she went crazy for the flavor.
Now I am getting a bit worried because I have been reading here in another thread that whitefish can be dangerous. Am I safe in trying this a few days longer or should I just go back to the turkey and potato (or maybe switch them -- one at breakfast and the other at dinner?
I appreciate any guidance you can give me.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I think you will be fine switching between fish and non-fish canned cat foods. Maybe this little article will make you feel more at ease.
Cat Safe Foods - Whitefish

Environmental allergies can also occur in cats - dust, pollen, mold, cleaning products, perfumes, air fresheners, and so on. So, if anything has changed in any of these aspects around the time your cat started itching, they could be the culprit instead of the food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
But what about cod and pollock? There seems to be no information on these fish.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As far as I know cod and pollock are both whitefish - there are a host of fish labeled as 'whitefish'. What the generic reference to 'whitefish' means would have to be clarified by whomever told you of the fish ingredients contained in that product. The label just says 'fish' - so maybe they were telling you it contains whitefish, specifically cod and pollock.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aha!
Lesso learned.
Thanks a bunch teach!
:-)