Need advice on sick cat

Marion wiggins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat may or may not have gotten into something Tuesday pm or we’d sometime. wednesday night he wouldn’t eat or Thursday morning he would not eat. I took him to emergency vet and they gave him fluids and check vitals all ok. Xmas am still not eating so too him back and checked all labs and X-rays with result of possible GI infection. He has antibiotice and appetite enhancer. He still will not eat but I am feeding him by syringe today with a soupy chicken\catfood mixture. first food he has had today totally maybe an ounce. On his own he will not eat.
how long should I let this go on? I have read if they don’t eat and fat brings down their liver can’t handle it and it can shut down.
any help would be much appreciated! I love my Piper boy

Attachments

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Once the antibiotic kicks in, he should start eating. Did they say he had gastroenteritis? You can try warming up food to see if that interests him. Continue syringe feeding him throughout the day. If he's not improved by Monday, I'd get him to your regular vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Marion wiggins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Once the antibiotic kicks in, he should start eating. Did they say he had gastroenteritis? You can try warming up food to see if that interests him. Continue syringe feeding him throughout the day. If he's not improved by Monday, I'd get him to your regular vet.
They just said possible G I infection. I forgotto mention he had thrown up green, clear, and yellow for 24 hours so we thought he may have gotten into something

Marion wiggins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No there was nothing that showed up in xrays

Felix19+

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
did you say whether of not your cat still drinking and peeing and your cats age ?

Marion wiggins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well I am syringe feeding so he is peeing and he has lapped up a little water. No poop

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try some Hartz Delectable Lickable treats in the stew. When my cats stop eating it is the only thing they will lap up, it is gel-like with shreds of meat. I put their meds in it too. Try anything to get him eating, I had one cat that would only eat fast food roast beef and chicken nuggets when he was sick. Can you think of anything he especially likes?

Marion wiggins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great news! piper had ultrasound no blockage. They did lab work again and he had white blood cells out the roof! He is being aggressively treated with fluids and antibiotics for infection and in 6 hours he has done a 180 and is eating ravishly according to the vet at the emergency hospital. I am so ecstatic!

thank you so much for your help and interest in Piper! I love him so much ! I appreciate the suggestions and help from you the cat site members.