Need Advice on PU Surgery Wound

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoMoMeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Were you able to get ahold of the vet today?
Yes! I called his vet and was able to send some pictures to them of his wound, and now I'm currently waiting for them to call me back and see what's up.

Unfortunately, this morning he managed to get his cone off and lick himself a few times before I was able to reach him. He did bleed, but thankfully the amount of blood was worse than any actual damage he did to the wound. It looks the same, if only just a bit irritated now, and the bleeding stopped pretty quickly. I told the vet this as well when I called.

Hopefully I'll know their thoughts soon.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! I called his vet and was able to send some pictures to them of his wound, and now I'm currently waiting for them to call me back and see what's up.

Unfortunately, this morning he managed to get his cone off and lick himself a few times before I was able to reach him. He did bleed, but thankfully the amount of blood was worse than any actual damage he did to the wound. It looks the same, if only just a bit irritated now, and the bleeding stopped pretty quickly. I told the vet this as well when I called.

Hopefully I'll know their thoughts soon.
Poor little guy.. Hopefully that doesn't happen again. What kind of cone do you have? Do you have a cat collar or can you get one?
If so after you put his cone on then you would put a collar on the inside this way if he tries to pull back out of the cone it stops on the collar.. I had to do that with my girl when she was spayed.

I hope the explanation makes sense..

MoMoMeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Poor little guy.. Hopefully that doesn't happen again. What kind of cone do you have? Do you have a cat collar or can you get one?
If so after you put his cone on then you would put a collar on the inside this way if he tries to pull back out of the cone it stops on the collar.. I had to do that with my girl when she was spayed.

He used to wear an Elizabeth cone, but he has issues with mobility in it and gets very frustrated that he can't see where he's going when he wears it, so he starts biting and kicking and generally tearing it up near constantly. I had to switch to a donut because he was stressing himself out doing that. He's very clever, he can get just about any cone off if he's determined enough, but it's much rarer for him to do so with the donut because he can see and move around in it easier, so he doesn't mind it as much. He even uses it as a pillow to nap on!

He likes to groom himself after using the litterbox, and so when he was done and I was cleaning up after him that's when he managed to get at himself. I guess he was very set on trying to clean up today.

I do have the donut like you mentioned, with the collar attachment. If he's focused enough, he has slipped out of it before. His determination is admirable honestly.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He used to wear an Elizabeth cone, but he has issues with mobility in it and gets very frustrated that he can't see where he's going when he wears it, so he starts biting and kicking and generally tearing it up near constantly. I had to switch to a donut because he was stressing himself out doing that. He's very clever, he can get just about any cone off if he's determined enough, but it's much rarer for him to do so with the donut because he can see and move around in it easier, so he doesn't mind it as much. He even uses it as a pillow to nap on!

He likes to groom himself after using the litterbox, and so when he was done and I was cleaning up after him that's when he managed to get at himself. I guess he was very set on trying to clean up today.

I do have the donut like you mentioned, with the collar attachment. If he's focused enough, he has slipped out of it before. His determination is admirable honestly.
My little lady had a soft elezebeth cone and I put her regular collar on her on the inside because she would use her paws and push the cone Then back out of it lol her regular collar acted as a stopper where the cone couldn't come off.
I'm glad that the donut one is helping him
I think for most cats it is the fact they can't really see because the cone restricts their line of sight.
I tried to turn her cone around as recommended by the vet but she would go to lay down or walk and step on the inside of it and pull her head down to the floor lol I felt bad so took that off turned it around put it on then her collar on and it worked. Without her collar on as well she would slip her cone every time

MoMoMeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

My little lady had a soft elezebeth cone and I put her regular collar on her on the inside because she would use her paws and push the cone Then back out of it lol her regular collar acted as a stopper where the cone couldn't come off.
I think for most cats it is the fact they can't really see because the cone restricts their line of sight.
I tried to turn her cone around as recommended by the vet but she would go to lay down or walk and step on the inside of it and pull her head down to the floor lol I felt bad so took that off turned it around put it on then her collar on and it worked. Without her collar on as well she would slip her cone every time
Haha, yup! The Elizabeth was a soft one too that he got sent home with, and he just can't stand not being able to see. He would stand up on his hind legs and fall backwards when he got "stuck" at a certain angle and he thought he couldn't turn or tilt his head down. Very dramatic. He does this odd twist and kick to get all his cones off, and it works at a 95% success rate.

I also tried to flip it down over his shoulders so he could see, but somehow he managed to contort his body enough at the perfect angle where he almost licked the wound when the stitches were still in! He's a brat! He also stepped on it like you mentioned and would stand there waiting for me to help him lol.

But yeah, for now the donut is the best option. I just monitor him very carefully in case he decides he wants to be an escape artist again. Thankfully he's pretty chill with it.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Haha, yup! The Elizabeth was a soft one too that he got sent home with, and he just can't stand not being able to see. He would stand up on his hind legs and fall backwards when he got "stuck" at a certain angle and he thought he couldn't turn or tilt his head down. Very dramatic. He does this odd twist and kick to get all his cones off, and it works at a 95% success rate.

I also tried to flip it down over his shoulders so he could see, but somehow he managed to contort his body enough at the perfect angle where he almost licked the wound when the stitches were still in! He's a brat! He also stepped on it like you mentioned and would stand there waiting for me to help him lol.

But yeah, for now the donut is the best option. I just monitor him very carefully in case he decides he wants to be an escape artist again. Thankfully he's pretty chill with it.
My girl Gabby got used to the cone and it was even a longer one by 4 extra inches because with the one for her size she was folding herself in half like a lawnchair to lick her spay incision. Anyway with the longer one it worked but she was so funny when she walked she would sway her head side to side as if she was doing it so she could see farther side to side. It was really cute to watch actually lol

MoMoMeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

But yeah, for now the donut is the best option. I just monitor him very carefully in case he decides he wants to be an escape artist again. Thankfully he's pretty chill with it
My girl Gabby got used to the cone and it was even a longer one by 4 extra inches because with the one for her size she was folding herself in half like a lawnchair to lick her spay incision. Anyway with the longer one it worked but she was so funny when she walked she would sway her head side to side as if she was doing it so she could see farther side to side. It was really cute to watch actually lol
I thought he'd get used to it eventually, so I put up with his shenanigans for about three weeks, but I think he just started hating more with time. He's a very opinionated cat if he doesn't like something he'll make it known! Every time I told him to calm down and stop fighting with it he'd give me a death glare and huffy sigh haha.

I think he's much happier now with his built in neck pillow, and takes better naps too!

MoMoMeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update!

Finally got to speak with the vet after an error with the pictures I sent. He does have a skin infection in the area, which I noticed started to look a lot more damp and irritated before the appointment. He's going to get some antibiotics for it, and then get rechecked for the issue of the wound not closing once he's all clear.

They said something about possibly needing to close the wound? In all the research I've done for this surgery and recovery I don't think I've come across anyone needing a re-suture this late in the healing stages. It's kind of scary, if anyone knows anything about it I'd appreciate any info.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would go ahead and order him an elizabethen collar alternative maybe something like one of these to have when he comes home from the next surgery.
If I were you thinking there is a possibility of another surgery I would order one of these and when they come in the mail I would go ahead and put it on him to get him used to it. This way when he has his surgery he won't mind having it on.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08ML4GK1M/?tag=thecatsite

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C139JL6W/?tag=thecatsite

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B6HKV5WH/?tag=thecatsite

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BJKXYD2Y/?tag=thecatsite

How is it looking now? Has it gotten worse since the last photos? Have you been taking pictures to see if you could notice a difference in his healing?

MoMoMeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update!

Finally got to speak with the vet after an error with the pictures I sent. He does have a skin infection in the area, which I noticed started to look a lot more damp and irritated before the appointment. He's going to get some antibiotics for it, and then get rechecked for the issue of the wound not closing once he's all clear.

They said something about possibly needing to close the wound? In all the research I've done for this surgery and recovery I don't think I've come across anyone needing a re-suture this late in the healing stages. It's kind of scary, if anyone knows anything about it I'd appreciate any info.
I would go ahead and order him an elizabethen collar alternative maybe something like one of these to have when he comes home from the next surgery.
If I were you thinking there is a possibility of another surgery I would order one of these and when they come in the mail I would go ahead and put it on him to get him used to it. This way when he has his surgery he won't mind having it on.

Amazon.com

Amazon.com

Amazon.com

Amazon.com

How is it looking now? Has it gotten worse since the last photos? Have you been taking pictures to see if you could notice a difference in his healing?
What a coincidence! I was planning on buying the collar in the third link, because he figured out how to reach himself in this one. I liked how wide it is. Hopefully it'll work to deter him, because he's been trying to get at himself very often from the discomfort of the current situation.

It looks the same in terms of healing. Still pretty open and tender, even more so now with the infection, which has him irritated and damp. I wouldn't say it's gotten worse in terms of the actual wound itself, just uncomfortable looking for him with everything going on. I did take pictures, but they looked the same when I compared them later on. He really hasn't healed unfortunately.

His recheck and possible procedure is on Monday, I'm pretty nervous about it considering I'm not exactly sure what's going to be done to him. My only guess is it's most likely a re-suture, since they said he needs to be assessed to see what's the best route to take (poor guy is very tired of being prodded back there and gets defensive, so it's hard for them to get a good look at him.)

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update!

What a coincidence! I was planning on buying the collar in the third link, because he figured out how to reach himself in this one. I liked how wide it is. Hopefully it'll work to deter him, because he's been trying to get at himself very often from the discomfort of the current situation.

It looks the same in terms of healing. Still pretty open and tender, even more so now with the infection, which has him irritated and damp. I wouldn't say it's gotten worse in terms of the actual wound itself, just uncomfortable looking for him with everything going on. I did take pictures, but they looked the same when I compared them later on. He really hasn't healed unfortunately.

His recheck and possible procedure is on Monday, I'm pretty nervous about it considering I'm not exactly sure what's going to be done to him. My only guess is it's most likely a re-suture, since they said he needs to be assessed to see what's the best route to take (poor guy is very tired of being prodded back there and gets defensive, so it's hard for them to get a good look at him.)
Poor little guy. Yea I figured if he had something like one of those cone alternatives it might help him to accept it easier as he will be able to see as well.
I feel bad for the little guy. He has been through enough back there let alone any infection/complications.. Hopefully his appointment they will figure out what needs to be done to help it heal. Whatever that may be hopefully it won't be too uncomfortable for the little guy.

MoMoMeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update!

Amazon.com

Amazon.com

Amazon.com

Amazon.com

Poor little guy. Yea I figured if he had something like one of those cone alternatives it might help him to accept it easier as he will be able to see as well.
I feel bad for the little guy. He has been through enough back there let alone any infection/complications.. Hopefully his appointment they will figure out what needs to be done to help it heal. Whatever that may be hopefully it won't be too uncomfortable for the little guy.
Yeah, thank you for the extra options linked in there!

I feel the same. He's been through the wringer these past few months, and he's still been his sweet self through all these issues. I'm really hoping that whatever happens on Monday will finally get him to the last stages of recovery so he can just relax and be stress free again. He deserves it.

MoMoMeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I decided to post some updated photos of the area, for anyone curious or coming across this thread in the future that needs any references. It's still a bit red and irritated because he just got cleaned up and shaved at the vet, plus it's only day one of the antibiotics. 20230911_122402.jpg 20230911_122416.jpg

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I decided to post some updated photos of the area, for anyone curious or coming across this thread in the future that needs any references. It's still a bit red and irritated because he just got cleaned up and shaved at the vet, plus it's only day one of the antibiotics.View attachment 459225View attachment 459226
Awww poor little guy it just looks painful.. at least the hardest part (the original surgery) is behind him.. Hopefully after Monday at this vet appointment coming up they will do whatever they decide and it will be the final thing done.. I feel bad for him.

MoMoMeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awww poor little guy it just looks painful.. at least the hardest part (the original surgery) is behind him.. Hopefully after Monday at this vet appointment coming up they will do whatever they decide and it will be the final thing done.. I feel bad for him.
It's definitely been bothering him, but the antibiotics should at least alleviate some of his discomfort now, and being shaved will definitely help me not have to intervene and clean him as often so the area will get some time to be left alone. He's a pretty tough guy, and has been otherwise doing well (good appetite, playful, normal litterbox use etc.) Hoping he can power through this next challenge and get where he needs to be in his recovery.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
It actualy looks alot better in the recent pictures, the puss is gone too that is in the early photos.

You are lucky if the CD-ROM shaped cone works, it sure didn't for any of my cats. It was back to the clear satellite dish buster for them.

MoMoMeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's definitely been bothering him, but the antibiotics should at least alleviate some of his discomfort now, and being shaved will definitely help me not have to intervene and clean him as often so the area will get some time to be left alone. He's a pretty tough guy, and has been otherwise doing well (good appetite, playful, normal litterbox use etc.) Hoping he can power through this next challenge and get where he needs to be in his recovery.
It actualy looks alot better in the recent pictures, the puss is gone too that is in the early photos.

You are lucky if the CD-ROM shaped cone works, it sure didn't for any of my cats. It was back to the clear satellite dish buster for them.
Hmm, you think it does? That's good. Him being thoroughly cleaned up and clipped definitely is an improvement to the way it looks, otherwise I can't really tell if the wound actually changed.

This guy dislikes any cone and can slip out of them no problem if he tries hard enough, but for some reason he's particularly averse to the satellite ones. As long as he can see and move his head he'll tolerate them, but I can only cross my fingers and hope he'll humor me and keep one on.

MoMoMeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update #2!

So, he underwent a small procedure today, and did well. Basically, the surgeon took the non-irritated skin and stitched it together to cover the wound. They weren't too sure why it hadn't healed, especially when his new urethra area looked good, or why some of the dissolvable stitches hadn't fallen out like they were supposed to even after almost four + weeks of having them in (but those are all removed now). These new stitches aren't dissolvable, so he'll be going back in two weeks to get them removed.

He still needs antibiotics for now as he was still appearing a bit infected, and he's on some anti inflammatory for swelling. I'll post some pictures of the site's current status later, once he's settled in and more relaxed. He looks pretty raw back there now, poor guy. I'm waiting for him to use the litter box, which is pretty nerve wracking as I want to make sure he can urinate properly still. That was a big issue for him when he first came back after the surgery due to the swelling, and resulted in the Emergency vet visit and few days long catheterization.

But for now he's alright, and hopefully today's events will help him heal completely.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update #2!

So, he underwent a small procedure today, and did well. Basically, the surgeon took the non-irritated skin and stitched it together to cover the wound. They weren't too sure why it hadn't healed, especially when his new urethra area looked good, or why some of the dissolvable stitches hadn't fallen out like they were supposed to even after almost four + weeks of having them in (but those are all removed now). These new stitches aren't dissolvable, so he'll be going back in two weeks to get them removed.

He still needs antibiotics for now as he was still appearing a bit infected, and he's on some anti inflammatory for swelling. I'll post some pictures of the site's current status later, once he's settled in and more relaxed. He looks pretty raw back there now, poor guy. I'm waiting for him to use the litter box, which is pretty nerve wracking as I want to make sure he can urinate properly still. That was a big issue for him when he first came back after the surgery due to the swelling, and resulted in the Emergency vet visit and few days long catheterization.

But for now he's alright, and hopefully today's events will help him heal completely.
Poor little guy has been through the ringer with this procedure. Hopefully this will be the end of it and he will heal properly now.