Need Advice On Obtaining Veterinary Care For Sick Cat With Very Little Money.

tuskosmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We adopted our cat, Tusko, a long time ago and she is now likely well over 10 years old.

We took her to the vet in the fall because we noticed her eye sight seeming to get worse while simultaneously she developed a limp and a mass on her back was growing. Unfortunately, our family has been on hard financial times since the summer, so we spent as much as we could to find out what was going on. The most our vet could give us with the money we had was a couple preliminary tests (in which she was diagnosed with hypertension) and the initial medication to treat it. We were basically told some more tests costing over $1000 could possibly determine what was going on with the mass on her back, but then it would be much more for more tests, x-rays, surgery, medication, etc. At this point we realized we just don't have the money to help her and the best course was to treat her hypertension as best we could.

She did well with this for a while, but 2 days ago as I was cutting some mats out (she has been grooming much less than usual the past few months), I accidentally tore some of her skin off. :( A quick internet search later revealed that I am never supposed to use scissors to cut out mats, which I never knew and I feel terribly about. But I've always done it that way and never had a problem. She didn't seem to be in pain (like I didn't even notice the first two nicks I gave her because she didn't react at all and kept purring) but they looked pretty alarming. I put some CBD salve on them to soothe the tears and protect from infection for now.

I feel like a terrible cat mom and don't know what to do. I simply cannot afford her veterinary care the way that I used to be able to, and I don't want to abandon her. I've been researching to see if I can come up with some answers myself, and even though I'm not a vet and shouldn't be diagnosing her myself I don't have many other options. It seems like she could have Cushing's disease? The mass on her back is right where her kidney is, her skin seems very fragile, and it described other similar symptoms to what she has, including hypertension.

Anyway, I would like to know more about if this matches anyone's experience with Cushing's or another possibility. More importantly, I'm looking for advice on where I might be able to get her medical care for free or very cheaply. We have done care credit before for over $1000 but we barely paid it off in time and I don't think it's an option this time around. Has anyone here ever found a vet willing to remove a mass without doing a bunch of tests first? I could find a way to squeeze a smaller amount of money from my paychecks for treatment like meds. I don't know :( Any tips or resources appreciated.

ahunter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry that you're going through all this stress. You sound like a wonderful cat mom to be so concerned!

Our senior adopted dog had Cushings. He lived several years with it. From what I have read online, cats who get Cushings will have some of the same symptoms: weight gain, muscle-wasting, and pot-bellied appearance. One veterinarian site online noted cats can get something called fragile skin syndrome, where the skin is easily bruised and torn. If your cat has Cushings, this might explain what happened when you cut the mats.

Our dog came to us with Cushings and so I admit to being somewhat ignorant about it. However, I do know that there are two standard tests: the ACTH stimulation test and the LDDS test. Although there will be differences in how the disease presents itself in the two species, you might search for K9 Cushings Support and ask the group for advice. They're extremely knowledgeable about Cushings!

From what I have heard veterinarians say, I think they are required to give tests before administering treatment. It's the only way for them to know what is really wrong. For medical help, try looking for Care Credit Card. I have never used it, but veterinarians here have recommended it to clients who are financially strapped. Alternatively, you might ask if there is any group in your area that supports pet medical emergencies, and see if you can help this way.

Keep us posted on Tusko. Hugs!

tvet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a cat that also developed a mass on his shoulder. My vet did surgery to remove. It was cancer. It sis come back and I had a second surgery done. It came back again. She advised that the cancer was very aggressive and that if she did not get every cell, it would continue to come back. Very unlikely she could get every cell. I decided no more surgeries (he was 16). When the time came, he let me know and I sent him over the bridge. The surgeries cost $200 each. Maybe you could try and start a go fund me page on the internet? Good luck with your kitty.