Need advice on "expressing bowels"

petie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HELP. My 19 yr old cat Swisher Sweet "Sweetie" was diagnosed with a stroke last week,his back legs are paralysed, our vet gave him cortizone shots and we were told to wait and see.... but how about bowel movements? Ive been caring for him, feeding grooming, carrying him in and out, holding him over the litter box to pee, but how do I "express his bowels"? Anyone had to do this?

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
HELP. My 19 yr old cat Swisher Sweet "Sweetie" was diagnosed with a stroke last week,his back legs are paralysed, our vet gave him cortizone shots and we were told to wait and see.... but how about bowel movements? Ive been caring for him, feeding grooming, carrying him in and out, holding him over the litter box to pee, but how do I "express his bowels"? Anyone had to do this?
@petie...I'm so sorry that your 19 year old cat Swisher Sweet "Sweetie", is going through this paralysis.

I hope you managed to contact your Vet, and get the right methods, or get the Vet to show you precisely how to express his bowels.

There are some good Youtube videos that show how to express cat bowels.

But your Vet would be the best one to show you how, and guide you, or even the vet techs at the vet's office.

Sending you loads of health vibes for your Swisher Sweet "Sweetie".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

petie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much, I did get him straightened out, bowel wise, hoping he's up and moving again soon, such a sweet boy, just wants LOVE, cuddles and hugs, he's taking to wrapping his front legs around my wrist and hanging on, makes it hard to put him down, and all I have to do is look his way and he purrs......

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
My green eyed Swisher Sweet
Swisher Sweet is adorable!

Very glad that you got it all sorted out, and at 19 years old, ....you are one amazing cat guardian.

I don't know if it's cat genetics, or the food you are feeding, but having a cat reach 19 years is awesome.

Continued vibes being sent for your 'green eyed beauty'.

May he continue to improve, day by day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

petie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is his older "sister", she's 21.....and getting a lot slower and a little rickety, but it's all about the purrs, as long as they have an appetite and a purr, we're good....oh and Iams, I live in a very rural area, (the edge of a National Forest) and have rescued many furbabies over the years... felines and canines... but the cats mostly find me, I have indoor( my seniors) and out door cats, Ivey my oldest at 21 came in out of the cold last winter and decided to stay in, after 20 yrs we say she has qualified!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
This is his older "sister", she's 21.....and getting a lot slower and a little rickety, but it's all about the purrs, as long as they have an appetite and a purr, we're good....oh and Iams, I live in a very rural area, (the edge of a National Forest) and have rescued many furbabies over the years... felines and canines... but the cats mostly find me, I have indoor( my seniors) and out door cats, Ivey my oldest at 21 came in out of the cold last winter and decided to stay in, after 20 yrs we say she has qualified!
I love that...."as long as they have an appetite and a purr, we're good"...quote by 'petie'...That is so, so true.

Wow, Swisher Sweet has an older "sister". She looks very gentle and soft.

Now, I'm thinking it's a combination of great cat genetics, food, and the freshest air out there, being on the edge of a National Forest. 

Not to mention that they get plenty of exercise and loads of love, too.

(And yes, Ivey sounds like quite the senior character, ...finally deciding to retire to inside in winter. I think to Ivey,...age must only be a number. 
)

(Ivey probably has to keep an eye on the 'youngsters' and make sure they do not get out of line.) 

Still sending health vibes for Swisher Sweet, that his paralysis is only temporary.