Need advice on Catching an Injured Cat Outside- URGENT!!!

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a cat in our yard with a freshly missing eye. He's unsteady on his feet, and keeps walking into things. Understandably, he's a bit scared of people at the moment. Please give advice on how to catch him so we can take him to the vet.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried stinky food like tuna or meow mix? Put it in a carrier with a rope tied to the door & when he goes in pull the rope so the door closes? That's the only thing I can think of.

Good luck catching the poor thing!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Have you tried stinky food like tuna or meow mix? Put it in a carrier with a rope tied to the door & when he goes in pull the rope so the door closes? That's the only thing I can think of.

Good luck catching the poor thing!
Tried. It's so scared, it's not even REMOTELY interested in food. Thank you, though

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CommonOddity042

Tried. It's so scared, it's not even REMOTELY interested in food. Thank you, though
If you're fast enough, and if you're singled minded enough, you can try this:

1. Make sure you have a partner, who's sole job is to pay attention and get the carrier (kept open and ready) to you as soon as you grab the cat.

2. Your job is to approach the cat, and - in one confident and fast move - grab the cat.

If your partner is the faster one, obviously exchange rolls. It might sound impossible, but it's not, it's how we got Talin.

The catcher will get scratched and bit - and must be prepared to put up with this and still not let go. If the carrier is good, this will only last a second.

If you're not confident you can do this, please ring your vet and local feral catching agency - they may have some ideas; they may even be willing to help, if they know you're taking responsiblity for the animal.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried throwing a blanket over it? If you can get close enough that is!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Run up to your local shelter and let them know about the injured kitty. Ask them if you can borrow a humane trap. If you have no luck with your shelter, many no-kill shelters and rescues also have traps to and are excellent about letting people borrow them
Sometimes they will let you borrow ir for free and even help you catch it (and sometimes there is a small fee $10 to rent it) Once you get the humane trap, you need to line the bottom of it with paper (make sure it's soft so he doesn't know he's stepping into a metal cage. Then you need to bait the trap with extremly smelly food (tuna, anything fishy, very pungent soft cat food...) Put the food in the back of the trap. Once the cat walks over a certain part of the trap, it will close him in. Also, be sure to cover the outside of the trap with a blanket or something (leaving the entrance exposed. The cat will be more likely to go into it if it's calm and quiet. / I would recommend trying to humanely trap the kitty rather than some of the other methods mentioned earlier- because if he is already injured, you could do more damage trying to wrestle with it to catch it. Good luck sweetheart. That kitty is lucky to have you out there trying to help it. Remember- the key is to trap the kitty safely to avoid further injury rather than quickly. (Usually if it's hurt and hungry enough, the bait will work like a charm
) I set humane traps all over the city with the shelter I volunteer with. We trap and alter them all day long
Send me a pm if you need anything else.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

I would recommend trying to humanely trap the kitty rather than some of the other methods mentioned earlier- because if he is already injured, you could do more damage trying to wrestle with it to catch it.
I would too, expect for the part where she said it wasn't responding to food.

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've moved your thread to the Caring for Strays and Ferals forum, where hopefully our members experienced in catching hard-to-catch cats will be able to help you. Good luck in trapping kitty!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would not advise you to snatch and grab this cat. It sounds like he has had a collision with an automobile (or a nasty bad human). He possibly has brain damage, and brain damaged cats can get aggressive quickly.

Your best option for him is to call your local animal control officer. Tell him you will take FULL responsibility (financial and otherwise) for this cat and ask them to come out and net him. He isn't going to go into a trap, especially if he is bumping into things.

If the animal control officer is not willing to help you out, please send me a PM through this website and I will put you in touch with someone who will talk you through how to corner, net and capture this cat. But try the animal control officer first. Netting an injured cat is not easy for a first-timer. It can be done, but you need the right equipment, another person to help you and a lot of courage.

Thank you for caring when so many do not-

Forgot to add. If you don't say you will take full responsibilty and they do come out and capture him, they will kill him instead of treating him. Ok euthanize, but same thing-

MA

fishtreatsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would call Animal Control too. This cat maybe in a lot of pain. The last thing on his mind is food right now so baiting with tuna may not work. You don't know the extent of the injuries, he could have internal injuries as well. And he may be feral. The Animal Control people know how to capture injured animals, they do it all the time. This cat will need a lot of help once he's at the vets, if he's feral many vets won't want to treat him - so that's something else to consider.
Call AC and get the cat captured first, thats the first step.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the others, I think calling animal control is your best bet.
As suggested just make sure that you tell them you're going to take responsibility for the cost of Vet care.

Bless you for trying to help this baby, and good luck in catching him/her.

mikemoore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I  HAD SAME PROBLEM. THE HOLY SPIRIT GAVE ME THE ANSWER. GO TO WALMART AND GET G&B Mat 308478B 60 in x 50' 2 in Mesh Hexagonal Poultry Netting.( IT COSTS $17.00)  LAY IT OUT, PUT BOWL OF FOOD IN CENTER OF NET; WHEN THE CAT STEPS IN TO EAT GENTLELY PULL STRAIGHT UP TO LIFT THE NET AND THE CAT IS TRAPED. GO TO WALMART WEBSITE (OR WEB SEARCH) AND LOOK UP  SMALL ANIMAL CAPTURE NETS.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I  HAD SAME PROBLEM. THE HOLY SPIRIT GAVE ME THE ANSWER. GO TO WALMART AND GET G&B Mat 308478B 60 in x 50' 2 in Mesh Hexagonal Poultry Netting.( IT COSTS $17.00)  LAY IT OUT, PUT BOWL OF FOOD IN CENTER OF NET; WHEN THE CAT STEPS IN TO EAT GENTLELY PULL STRAIGHT UP TO LIFT THE NET AND THE CAT IS TRAPED. GO TO WALMART WEBSITE (OR WEB SEARCH) AND LOOK UP  SMALL ANIMAL CAPTURE NETS.
That thread is old, but I suppose this tip works still into this day.   Of course it does, YOU had your experience recently.  :)

But please, write in the usual small letters, its easier to read.    :)

Tx, and

Good luck!

Last edited: