Need advice- humping kitty

christinemoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat (M/ 8.5m/ neutered per shelter and vet) has been expressing his love for my electric blanket for at least the past month. Every time he spots it, the hips start going. When someone walks in he runs to the window to finish what he started.

The issue is I don't want to remove or keep washing the electric blanket I use daily. If I cover it, he pulls back the comforter to reunite with his love.

Thankfully, it's just the blanket (and 1 time, a plush winter hat). He doesn't bother with the other cat (F/ 6m/ spayed), there's no spraying, etc. The vet says it's normal, so I don't want to discourage him, just help him find a more suitable lover. I'd happily leave a different fleece blanket or stuffed animal out for him. Any advice?

momstiel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Obviously I’d understand if it was unable to happen due to any financial restrictions, or anything else. However, what comes to mind is just having to bite the bullet and buy another electrical blanket.

My cat is rather attached to her (my old electrical blanket) because of the heat source. So my other suggestion is maybe get him a heater, or something that can be warmed up.

I‘m no cat expert but from my experience, but my cats all love the electrical blanket & heater. Of course, sun spots too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

christinemoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Obviously I’d understand if it was unable to happen due to any financial restrictions, or anything else. However, what comes to mind is just having to bite the bullet and buy another electrical blanket.

My cat is rather attached to her (my old electrical blanket) because of the heat source. So my other suggestion is maybe get him a heater, or something that can be warmed up.

I‘m no cat expert but from my experience, but my cats all love the electrical blanket & heater. Of course, sun spots too!
He's not into the heat, it's the soft fleecy blanket he likes. I just haven't found a suitable fleece alternative yet.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Was he neutered long enough ago so that the hormones are out of his system?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

christinemoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Was he neutered long enough ago so that the hormones are out of his system?
He was spayed on 6/14 (approx 10 weeks old). We adopted him on 10/13, and I've noticed this behavior for about a month now, which might just be when he first discovered the blanket.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My GSD and Billy, now deceased, used to hump each other. Both were fixed at a very young age. The dog would go over and pull Billy under him....apparently Billy had no objections.....or Billy would go over if the dog was lying down and start. I know that does not solve your problem though.