Need advice: cat with lower lip deformation

K Schmidt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Hela is about 2 years old now. I found her with an abscess/ulcer on her lower front gums, and 1/3 of her tail was necrotic. The lip injury healed, and her tail fell off and healed as well. However, her bottom lip appears to have never grown "properly". Her bottom gums protrude and her little lip barley exists (see photo, lip is half pink/half black). I haven't found any info online for any other cats with this issue. It has an impact on her ability to eat most things.
Sometimes she struggles with eating wet food, and even fresh chicken, turkey, tuna etc., no matter how it's presented. I often take the time to hand feed her these. She goes nuts for soft treat sticks (unhealthy though!) because she can demolish them on her own. My only other cat is a huge (dominant) male and he even lets her take half of his treat stick every time without a care!!
Any suggestions for feeding/care that could help her eat more than treat sticks all on her own?

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I presume a vet has taken a look at her lip? What are these soft treat sticks that she can eat - might help members come up with other ideas. How do you currently hand feed her - that might help too!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Can she eat food which has been mixed in a blender? What about the way that the lip healed prevents her from eating?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is it the angle/height that the treats are held at? Maybe if her food could be provided somehow in a similar way?

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Forest Cat, in my banner below, has trouble eating too. He mainly shovels the food out of the dish and onto the floor while trying to lick it. He does really well on soft paste type wet foods for senior cats.

He's on an Aixia one. They do a whole range of senior care, kidney, care, hydration care and high calorie pastes for malnourished cats.

Aixia Kenko Pouch Water Supplement Tuna Paste Cat Food 40g – Clearance