Need Advice About Wet Food!

Catster17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll be going away on a long road trip soon with my cat. I'm trying my best to research and find out about anything travelling with cats because this is my first time!
I just wanted to ask what kind of food you're supposed to take on a long road trip, dry or wet? The area I'll be travelling to will be generally colder than my home, so is it okay to take wet food? My cat takes alot of time finishing just one pouch because he prefers small, scattered meals throughout the day. That means that I often have to refrigate the open pouch to make sure it doesn't spoil. Unfortunately, I'll be spending about 50% of my time in the car, and the place I'm going to is rather rural so I doubt they'll have fridges there.
My kitty just can't survive without his wet food for very long (he's a picky eater), so I HAVE to bring the wet food no matter what. What I'm wondering about is whether or not I'll have to give him just dry food the whole two weeks I'm there, and also is there any way to preserve jelly food for than an hour without putting it in the fridge? Can I put it in an airtight bag, perhaps?
Thanks! <3

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Would you have access to a cooler and ice, or an ice pack?

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think so, other than keeping it cold. If it's only out for an hour and sealed, it might be ok. But it's like any meat we would eat, after a few hours at room temperature bacteria can start to grow and make them sick.

It's a waste, but you could bring extra pouches with you and throw out what he doesn't eat. but even sealed won't preserve it any longer since there will still be some amount of air inside. Maybe someone else has other ideas, but I don't know of a good way to keep it safe after, say, 3 hours. I guess maybe one of those vacuum-seal food savers might do a better job? But that is outside my realm of expertise at that point.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catster17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think so, other than keeping it cold. If it's only out for an hour and sealed, it might be ok. But it's like any meat we would eat, after a few hours at room temperature bacteria can start to grow and make them sick.

It's a waste, but you could bring extra pouches with you and throw out what he doesn't eat. but even sealed won't preserve it any longer since there will still be some amount of air inside. Maybe someone else has other ideas, but I don't know of a good way to keep it safe after, say, 3 hours. I guess maybe one of those vacuum-seal food savers might do a better job? But that is outside my realm of expertise at that point.
Thanks for the help, though. I really appreciate it!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I leave wet food out for my guys for 3 to 4 hours, and have not had a problem. I dont think i would want to leave it out longer than that. You might could keep an ice chest? If the unused portion was in a zip lock baggie, and in a cold ice chest i think it would keep a few hours longer.

otherwise i would take extra wet food, you may just need to throw some food out for these 2 weeks. and try to supplement a little with dry.

Catster17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I leave wet food out for my guys for 3 to 4 hours, and have not had a problem. I dont think i would want to leave it out longer than that. You might could keep an ice chest? If the unused portion was in a zip lock baggie, and in a cold ice chest i think it would keep a few hours longer.

otherwise i would take extra wet food, you may just need to throw some food out for these 2 weeks. and try to supplement a little with dry.
Thanks

ej x

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
just bring extra pouches, they should be good once opened for 5 to 6 hours.

If it is a rural place, whatever is left over just leave it somewhere on the ground (just the food not the trash) and let another animal take care of it so no waste! Lol

Buy extra food and write it off as traveling expense, take some kibble just in case you run out of food, and you can maybe alternate. (only if he is used to kibble)
new food + new place = too much stress

Catster17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

If it is a rural place, whatever is left over just leave it somewhere on the ground (just the food not the trash) and let another animal take care of it so no waste! Lol

Buy extra food and write it off as traveling expense, take some kibble just in case you run out of food, and you can maybe alternate. (only if he is used to kibble)
Thanks a lot! I really appreciate it!

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get a har ness for your cat. Then you can attach as leash to it when ever you stop and let your cat out for relief. Don use a collar and leash. A cat can slip out of a collar in a second. Good luck!

Catster17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate it!

Catster17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Get a har ness for your cat. Then you can attach as leash to it when ever you stop and let your cat out for relief. Don use a collar and leash. A cat can slip out of a collar in a second. Good luck!
Thanks!

MargoLane

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You could try freeze dried raw for the trip, if you're into that. Shelf-stable, and just add water and mix up to give a wet-like texture. Then you can only make what you need for each meal and not have to waste any. The only issue would be cleaning of the tools/plates for feeding, but you could use disposables.