Need A Running Water Bowl Without Plug In

kittycity16

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I've tried looking through the forums, so sorry if this is a repeat question.

I have two cats who are on a wet food diet, and I have not seen them drink water for years now!! I don't think they are dehydrated or anything, but I'd like them to have a water source they're interested in. I have been looking at the running water fountains, and my main problem is that one cat (part Bengal) loves water. She uses her water dishes as play toys and can manage to splash almost the entire bowl out. Therefore, I want to avoid a water fountain that plugs in to a wall. Any suggestions on this?

One I've just found is this: Heyrex Torus Filtered Water Bowl, 68-oz
Not sure if it is "running" though in the same way as a typical fountain.

Thank you all!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That one isn't a running water fountain---the reservoir water goes through a filter on its way to the bowl, that's all.

Any running water feature needs electricity to pump the water. There are some battery-operated aquarium pumps available, but they aren't really made for daily use (normally used for aerating a bucket while traveling, or during a power outage) and would probably go through a ton of batteries.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Running water kinda needs a plug to get it going. Even outdoor fountains have to be plugged in to work. We have a bird bath in our aviary that doesn't but it isn't running really. It is hooked up to the sprinklers and when the plants around get watered the dish overflows and refreshes.

If the worry is the electrical aspect. Even if your cat plays with the bowl the motor itself is safe for water and the cord can get wet. The outlet can't but it can be a foot or two away. At our house that outlet is actualy a few inches up and a foot or two away. We have the cord go up to a shelf above it and then back down so the cord isn't on the floor (and it is bundled with another cord going to the same outlet). We also have the fountain itself on a large tray with a lip so that any splash or overflow doesn't actually go on the floor. This is a horrible picture but you can see the black cord going up and then back down to the outlet on the far right....

20170514_144218.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittycity16

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for this advice. I can probably try and rig something similar!
I've found one fountain that runs on batteries... gorgeous too.. but ceramic, handmade, and several hundred dollars... sooo that's not gonna happen!

kittycity16

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That one isn't a running water fountain---the reservoir water goes through a filter on its way to the bowl, that's all.

Any running water feature needs electricity to pump the water. There are some battery-operated aquarium pumps available, but they aren't really made for daily use (normally used for aerating a bucket while traveling, or during a power outage) and would probably go through a ton of batteries.
Thanks for clarifying!

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
I had one of those battery operated fish tank air pumps, and while one set of batteries did last the week and a half it took for the electricity to come back on it was a very, very noisy ratchet-sounding thing that would scare a cat away. And one set of batteries was four D cells.

The one concern I would have that no one else has addressed is that if the water is dumped the pump would be running dry and that will ruin the motor. You'll have to check the bowl A LOT since one cat is a splasher.

kittycity16

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good point! It may be that we have to only have it on when home... hm