Need a little help with young ferals !

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tomorrow I’m going to pick two approximately 8 to 10 weeks old kittens. Long story short I was visiting someone in the Bronx and the feral cats are everywhere. The lady I visited feeds them but that’s about it, they get sick injured and die of …There are two kittens I managed to pursue her to try to trap(She is extremely reluctant because of a bad experience with aspce) and today she called to let me know that she got them. Tomorrow I’ll be picking them up. I have a isolation room ready but nee more advice on what to put in ad to obvious water bed and Im guessing the food should not be available unless dispensed by me. Do I wait with toys and other things for a couple of days to give them time to adjust? The vet is coming Monday so medical issues are not priority But I would like to have them not traumatized by doing things that could of been done prior to their arrival. Any advice on that or how to handle them would be greatly appreciated. It’s my first with ferals and I would love to give them chance of loving home.Just to put a face to a story …
9CE8ED18-923A-4354-8EFA-1C92B5CF0A88.jpeg
F07BE9CB-B7BD-4E3F-951B-2043C0A87F6A.jpeg

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Awww, little cuties! Thank you so much for rescuing them.

At that age, and have already been used to people feeding them, it should be simple enough to get them socialized. Make sure the room you keep them in has been kitten proofed so they don't get trapped anywhere. It's OK to leave soft toys for them, but anything with string, feathers etc, that could get swallowed or wrapped around them, shouldn't be left with them when they're unsupervised.

Yes, feed them wet food 3 to 4 times a day while you are with them. Either from a wooden spoon, or get them to eat from a bowl while your sitting right next to them.

There's loads of good advice on Flatbush Cats or Kitten Lady's YouTube channels.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Tomorrow I’m going to pick two approximately 8 to 10 weeks old kittens. Long story short I was visiting someone in the Bronx and the feral cats are everywhere. The lady I visited feeds them but that’s about it, they get sick injured and die of …There are two kittens I managed to pursue her to try to trap(She is extremely reluctant because of a bad experience with aspce) and today she called to let me know that she got them. Tomorrow I’ll be picking them up. I have a isolation room ready but nee more advice on what to put in ad to obvious water bed and Im guessing the food should not be available unless dispensed by me. Do I wait with toys and other things for a couple of days to give them time to adjust? The vet is coming Monday so medical issues are not priority But I would like to have them not traumatized by doing things that could of been done prior to their arrival. Any advice on that or how to handle them would be greatly appreciated. It’s my first with ferals and I would love to give them chance of loving home.Just to put a face to a story …View attachment 453111View attachment 453112
Precious!!!!!!

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are you sure a waterbed's the best idea? It could seem really unstable to them and claws will puncture the bed (talk about freaking out kittens with water)! Yes to doing the food thing yourself but leave water always available - it's also good to learn in time which cat likes/dislikes what or who seems allergic to what. That face though! Wish we could see more of the darker one. I think a couple of small toys on the floor would be welcome - something to take their minds off the change maybe.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are you sure a waterbed's the best idea? It could seem really unstable to them and claws will puncture the bed (talk about freaking out kittens with water)! Yes to doing the food thing yourself but leave water always available - it's also good to learn in time which cat likes/dislikes what or who seems allergic to what. That face though! Wish we could see more of the darker one. I think a couple of small toys on the floor would be welcome - something to take their minds off the change maybe.
I’m not understanding waterbed reference?! I don’t own one, oh never mind just figured out. Water coma bed 😂😂. They are home for 3 to 4 hours and they are eating out of my hand (had the lady remove food around noon time and they got home pretty hungry) .I can touch them and they used litter box and starting to play. Lucky is probably understatement.
38887FE0-803A-4BA2-AC11-E5F061F2F74F.jpeg
DB345B0C-3074-4415-A84E-72F34B2938E1.jpeg

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, sounds like you're off to a great start!

If they are comfortable to play near you, try this;

Sit on the floor with your legs out stretched and a blanket over your lap. You want to completely cover your legs so the kittens won't be too aware of where the floor ends and your legs start. Use a wand toy to get them to play on the blanket. They'll soon be using your legs to ambush the toy. You can get them to come closer to you until they are on your lap while they are engrossed in playing. This helps to get nervous kittens used to being lap cats. Make sure you never try to force them to sit on you. You should let them come close or move away as they choose, but having them focus on a toy really helps keep them comfortable near people.

Soon they'll be taking their after-play naps on your lap.

:)

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, sounds like you're off to a great start!

If they are comfortable to play near you, try this;

Sit on the floor with your legs out stretched and a blanket over your lap. You want to completely cover your legs so the kittens won't be too aware of where the floor ends and your legs start. Use a wand toy to get them to play on the blanket. They'll soon be using your legs to ambush the toy. You can get them to come closer to you until they are on your lap while they are engrossed in playing. This helps to get nervous kittens used to being lap cats. Make sure you never try to force them to sit on you. You should let them come close or move away as they choose, but having them focus on a toy really helps keep them comfortable near people.

Soon they'll be taking their after-play naps on your lap.

:)
Thank you

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m not understanding waterbed reference?! I don’t own one, oh never mind just figured out. Water coma bed 😂😂. They are home for 3 to 4 hours and they are eating out of my hand (had the lady remove food around noon time and they got home pretty hungry) .I can touch them and they used litter box and starting to play. Lucky is probably understatement.View attachment 453215View attachment 453216
They are the cutest little dolls- Congratulations Mama! You are a Blessing that has just been doubly Blessed❤

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update on my ferals. Yesterday vet did basic check up and she took blood and stool . They ended up dewormed, eye drops , two weeks worth of antibiotics (that I chose to administer by myself, I believed that is not too far fetched) I did that because they where very … calm . So she called this morning to let me know that all blood work was good 😊 however there are roundworm in the stool 😒. She’l be back in 3 weeks to deworm again and give first round of vacations . In the meantime this is progress this morning. They are some 36 hours in the house. They are approximately 12<weeks old and 2lbs Respectively!!!!
Baby A (shorter fur) was not into photo shoot (antibiotics kicked in) too busy playing but baby B was a game , sooo look at happy, dry , warm,clean , first time bellies full of wet food , bursting at seams with …… joy!?!?
5EF922B2-47AC-46A5-A69E-A8C32B2C8815.jpeg
FF4D934C-A50A-4D3E-A1D0-C3569AAE9434.jpeg
958177CE-18EB-454E-B51A-BE2819D85539.jpeg
0DD57F82-3270-45A4-B372-72605499A858.jpeg
04EAB47E-90A0-4E40-9983-6536DCFBC352.jpeg
4AF8BE51-9F17-4915-A349-23AB700CB085.jpeg
E7C67E5E-3B7A-44CE-B475-360FE15383A3.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I was just coming here to ask for an update and noticed your last post.

OMG, they're so sweet! You're doing a wonderful job with them. How's everything going now?