Need a few brush suggestions for my long hair siberian cat

catquestions232

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey All!

About 2 months ago I purchased a Siberican cat. She is just starting to shed now and I have no idea what kinda of brushes/combs i need to buy. I got a few suggestions for a greyhound comb which I have in my amazon shopping cart as I type this out. Do I need anything else?  Any other brushes or anything?  Specific suggestions would be appreciated!

Thankyou!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have several items I use:

Furminator - a must.

Wide tooth metal comb

Soft bristle brush

Zoom Groom by Kong

Mat cutter (really necessary sometimes!)

I use all of these on both our long haired and short haired cats. 

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I've found that a comb generally works better than a brush for longhaired cats. You can get a comb all the way through the fur rather than just smoothing over the top layer. A comb with rounded metal teeth is better than plastic, at least to reduce the static build-up. I like the ones that have finer teeth on one end and coarser teeth on the other.

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I own a ton of implements, but I find I really only use three items for my two Siberians:  the greyhound comb, polishing brush, and electric pet clipper.  The comb followed by polishing brush is for regular grooming, and the clipper is for removing mats.   Point the edge upward (away from the skin) and tease gently at the mat until it comes out.  I've found everything else either is ineffective, like brushes, or highly objectionable to the cat (Furminator, mat breaker).  Also when you use the comb, don't yank at the cats' fur.

An optional extra device is the purple rubber Kong comb.  It grabs dead hairs quite effectively, and the cats like it much better than the comb.  It doesn't replace the comb when it comes to dealing with the undercoat though.