Neck Pulsing Cat

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok so I had another thread about this cat but going to start a new one, because I am noticing new symptoms which could possibly just be stress.

My cat was acting not normal for over a week, super tired, and not playing. He is normally super active. The vet thought maybe it was his teeth so they said to get a cleaning and put him on an antibiotic, and pain meds and told me to schedule the cleaning. They also took blood, and found he was slightly anemic (red blood down), and something low in the kidney functions but didn't seem to be a concern.

I had to find another vet for the cleaning and had the appointment yesterday. They checked his teeth and said they wouldn't recommend a cleaning at this time, that he did need it but it wasn't an emergency. They rechecked the blood and found the red blood went way up which is good. Probably due to the antibiotic. They gave me more antibiotic and I took him home. They mentioned his heart rate was up but probably due to stress of visit.

When I got him home yesterday he was stressed out which is understandable. Would not relax, and I noticed this heart beat thing where his neck was pulsing. Now today he is still the same, and the neck is still pulsing. He was laying on me for a bit falling alseep with his head up and I could clearly see rapid movement up and down in his neck. He seems to not want to rest or relax, and when he sleeps its like with one eye open. Any noise is scaring him. Also giving him his antibiotic seem to trigger more stress this morning ( he will not take in a pill pocket or hidden in food, I have to give orally). I get that he might be upset about the vet and the medicine but would his neck pulse like this?? I did a quick google and heart failure came up with this symptom. Does that match his bloodwork getting better on the antibiotic? I am going to tell the vet when they call to check on him, but with the Corona virus they have other stuff going on, and are not keep as long of hours (I am in New York).

Thanks for any help!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. How are they addressing the anemia? I realize you said his RBC is up, but between having been anemic - and, the resulting dehydration that usually accompanies that, usually from an iron deficiency brought on by anemia - the pulsing could indicate he still has an issue with building his blood back up. Anemia can also cause high blood pressure, which could also be a reason why you see his pulse in his neck. In general, anemia causes an increased workload on the heart. I would certainly call the vet and ask about it.

As far as the meds, can the pills be crushed? If so, place a crushed pill in a dish and then add just enough water from canned tuna or chicken to help mask the flavor. Once he has lapped that up, give him a piece of the tuna or chicken as a treat. You might even be able to add a tiny bit of the tuna or chicken with the water and pill to help get him to take it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!

Please don't wait, call them, because as already mentioned this sounds like one of the meds is possibly causing blood pressure issues.

Also, I don't understand, they say he needs dental work, but didn't do it? Waiting until dental work is an emergency is a terrible way to go about it. In the meantime your cat could be experiencing pain plus dental issues also effect other organs in the body including the heart.

Can you see a different vet about that?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi. How are they addressing the anemia? I realize you said his RBC is up, but between having been anemic - and, the resulting dehydration that usually accompanies that, usually from an iron deficiency brought on by anemia - the pulsing could indicate he still has an issue with building his blood back up. Anemia can also cause high blood pressure, which could also be a reason why you see his pulse in his neck. In general, anemia causes an increased workload on the heart. I would certainly call the vet and ask about it.

As far as the meds, can the pills be crushed? If so, place a crushed pill in a dish and then add just enough water from canned tuna or chicken to help mask the flavor. Once he has lapped that up, give him a piece of the tuna or chicken as a treat. You might even be able to add a tiny bit of the tuna or chicken with the water and pill to help get him to take it.

His Anemia improved by such a large amount (something like 10 points in a week) that they didn't do anything new for this. The vet assumed the low red blood was due to some bacterial infection that improved on the antibiotic. He was barley anemic too, like 1 point below normal or something. The new bloodwork they did yesterday the vet said was perfect.

That is great idea for the meds I'll try something like this tonight. Hes a very very picky eater, the lickable treats and stuff my other cats love he wont touch. Its hard for him to like anything but crushing it is a good idea going to see what I can get him to eat. If I could stop making him upset over this then I would get a better read on his personality.

Its so sad his whole personality has changed over these weeks, he used to be a very naughty active cat. I want him to come back!

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi!

Please don't wait, call them, because as already mentioned this sounds like one of the meds is possibly causing blood pressure issues.

Also, I don't understand, they say he needs dental work, but didn't do it? Waiting until dental work is an emergency is a terrible way to go about it. In the meantime your cat could be experiencing pain plus dental issues also effect other organs in the body including the heart.

Can you see a different vet about that?

Thanks for your comments, yes they didn't do the dental for a couple of reason, since he improved on the antibiotic they didn't want to put him under if he does have some low lying infection. They thought it would be better to wait a couple months and then do. I also made this decision with the vet, it was not an easy one, both me and vet went back and forth, as he was also on the fence. I also spent over a 100 bucks on car rides bringing him there and back so I didn't make this decision lightly it just felt right at the moment, and still does. Once the vet reran the blood and saw the improvement he felt it would be better to wait and see how he does.

He doesn't seem to be in pain from what I can tell, I have pain medication for him in case he is but it just knocks him out.

I will speak to the vet soon, I kind of want to give him a chance to rest and relax. Note that he is eating, drinking and going to the bathroom. It doesn't seem he is in any sort of emergency situation at the moment. He just seems off, and the neck pulse is very weird and stressing me out.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He just seems off, and the neck pulse is very weird and stressing me out.
I can't stress this enough, this isn't something to wait on, your vet needs to know so they can direct you as to changing the med as necessary, now.

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't stress this enough, this isn't something to wait on, your vet needs to know so they can direct you as to changing the med as necessary, now.

I will speak to them soon, I want to see how he does today, I am watching very carefully. I guess I want to see if he will calm down a bit so I have more information to give the vet. He is resting under a blanket right now. He seems more irritated than anything. I just checked on him and hes annoyed. I am not sure its the medication. He was on Clindamycin and they switched it yesterday to Clavacillin. I skipped a does yesterday because I could tell he had enough. So I started new with the Clavacillin this morning. I noticed he pulse thing before that.

I assure you if it becomes an emergency I will take him in. I have been to the vet twice now in the last 2 weeks. I always make sure my cats get care when they need it. He is still doing stuff like looking out the window at birds. He sin't totally disinterested or lying lifeless on the floor. Like I said he ate a full meal this morning drank water and went to the bathroom. That is why I came here first before calling. But I am aware of your concern, and appreciate.

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I sent a video of this pulsing thing to my vet, and they said its just his neck artery. Hahah I felt kind of silly. The told me to count his heartbeat while he was sleeping to make sure it was under 25 beats a minute and it is from what I can tell.

He is still super on guard I am thinking now it was the trauma of the vet visits and giving him the medicine. I was able to figure out a way for him to take the pill in treats ( wasn't easy, I am using a pin to hollow out those small hard treats and then cutting the pill up and sticking inside). But its working and I think is making him more calm. He wouldn't eat any sort of liquid concoction I made. He ate this morning a ton, drank water, and went to the bathroom. Is resting under a blanket now. I'm trying to leave him alone, I noticed that he wont fully rest, he keeps his head up and any noise he up. So its looking more and more that he is just super stressed.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
it is from what I can tell.
This is great information, I'll keep it in mind as well:)

So its looking more and more that he is just super stressed.
I don't recall if I mentioned it, but you could try cat music for him, there are a number of members who have had great results getting their cat to relax to it. For example spotify has one collection of harp music called Cat In My Arms that both of you might like :thumbsup:

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes I am in the routine of playing music for the kitties. I started doing this in December it really helps. I have some on now. Spotify does have a lot of good list! It relaxes me too!!

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks again for all of the help!! Hope to have my naughty kitty back to his normal self soon!

Ash468

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi L lesliel76 ! I know this is a super old post but did you ever get any answers for the neck pulse? Our little guy just started having that. Did they ever figure out what it was or did it ever go away? Did it end up being something to be concerned about and did it happen all of the time? Thank you!

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi L lesliel76 ! I know this is a super old post but did you ever get any answers for the neck pulse? Our little guy just started having that. Did they ever figure out what it was or did it ever go away? Did it end up being something to be concerned about and did it happen all of the time? Thank you!

Hi! Well I went through the ringer with my cat. I think the neck pulsing might of been me being super hyper concerned about him because he was very sick at the time and I was trying to figure out what was wrong. I guess it's normal the vet told me to sometimes see their pulse at the neck.

I took a video at the time and showed my vet maybe you can do the same to just make sure. They had me count his breathing in and out to make sure he was breathing properly and his heart wasn't going too fast and that was all ok.

Does your cat have other symptoms?

My cat ended up have this super rare bacteria infection in his spleen and lymphnoids. He went through several diagnoses and several vets before getting to this. They thought his teeth were bad , then Pancreatits, they thought Cancer, and finally this bizarre Infection. He was on antibiotics for like 6 months or something. At one point I didn't think he would make it but he turned a corner one day and is all better now...causing trouble! I'm beyond grateful of course to have my kitty not leave me yet.

So thats my story. I would say if there aren't other concerning symptoms it might just be his neck pulse. If your unsure check with the vet never hurts to have a peace of mind.

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A Ash468

I want to add that it was so rare out of the 3 vets I took him too none have ever seen it and all of the Specialized Doctors in the hospital never saw it. They said that there isn't even much written about it in case studies. This was a hospital in the middle of Brooklyn NY that's sees lots of animals so it was a very strange thing with my cat. They said they wanted to study him that's how weird it was and hard to diagnose.

So I guess the point to that is don't be nervous your cat has because it's unlikely.