Nearly three months in.....

turks rule!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
and its going well! Changing over to raw has not been easy, but i am really glad that we have hung in there. As other members have said, it is certainly a learning curve. I wanted to post my story so far to say a big thanks to the people who have given me lots of great advice. I also thought it may help people who are thinking about raw.
My kitten "moved in " early last September, he was fourteen weeks old. Up until three months ago he was fed store bought wet food with some kibble from the vets as an occasional treat. Knowing nothing about raw feeding, i was also feeding him a meal of steamed white fish a day. His vet said it was fine and Gilbert loved it. I think that i had worries about store bought wet food and was trying to add something "better" with the fish. I have since found out that fish is not so great....
After lots of research, i decided to take the plunge. I tried raw chicken at first, cut into tiny chunks. Gilbert said NO
, tried it with Fortiflora and Gilbert said sometimes.... I tried chicken wings. I gave him the whole thing, no wonder poor Gilbert had no clue what to do with it
Rabbit went down well but unfortunatly did not agree with him - neither did liver. Felt ready to give up at this point.
The turning point were the gizzards - man that cat loves em!!! After that came steak, turkey, pork,duck , kidneys and a sardine once a week. I have recently worked out that if i give a small bit of liver with a meal a day it is eaten (and kept down) with no problems. The chicken wings continued to be a problem until three weeks ago when i heard the lovely sound of crunching
They are the only thing i have to continue to put a little Fortiflora on. However he flat out refuses to eat .... chicken (meat from thighs) No wonder i had such "problems" moving him onto raw at first. Gilbert plain does not like it

Preparing his meals has also become much easier over time. We spend an hour every two weeks restocking the freezer.My husband chops and i weigh and bag. We wear gloves and Gilbert has his own chopping board .
I cannot source poultry hearts here, so he still has one quality wet meal a day. However it is becoming increasingly difficult to get him to eat it. I too thought i was a myth that a cat could look so good on raw, but after only a week the greasy fur down his back dissapeared. His angora coat is like glass now.
Thanks again for all your help fellow raw feeders