Just a cat-lover like the rest of you
Young Cat
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

WolfenLynx

Young Cat
Purraise
More bad news: Today, (3/26) we took Jasmine to the vet (as an emergency visit). She hasn't peed since Wednesday, and the vet said she has a VERY full bladder, and constipation. There is no room left in her abdomen. (they did an X-ray)

We are assuming the medication we gave her caused this, as it causes constipation. We got this medication to ease her anxiety and stop her from peeing in the living room, not for her to stop peeing at all and be in constant pain :/

She will be in veterinary care for the weekend.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You and Jasmine just cannot seem to get a break, can you? Thank goodness you took her in.

Let me suggest something. Try her on chamomile tea for anxiety. It does not sedate, it gently calms. It does not affect the digestive tract at all. Use tea bags from the grocery store, plain, unblended chamomile. Brew a cup, chill it, and administer 1-3 teaspoonfuls, 3 times a day. If she is 11 pounds or more, use tablespoonfuls, instead. Administer via syringe or medicine dropper.

I always recommend the prepared bags from the grocery store because ALL of them are the German chamomile variety...medicinally active and safe for cats in the recommended dosages. The English variety that grows in so many gardens is useless medicinally and is toxic to cats.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
More bad news: Today, (3/26) we took Jasmine to the vet (as an emergency visit). She hasn't peed since Wednesday, and the vet said she has a VERY full bladder, and constipation. There is no room left in her abdomen. (they did an X-ray)

We are assuming the medication we gave her caused this, as it causes constipation. We got this medication to ease her anxiety and stop her from peeing in the living room, not for her to stop peeing at all and be in constant pain :/

She will be in veterinary care for the weekend.
Oh, no. Poor Jasmine. So good you took her to the ER. Sending healing vibes that she gets better quickly, and will be back home soon.
:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you should try one of the boxes with just regular litter and see if she will go in that. Scoop Away at Walmart is good at eliminating odors. A lot of cats don't like pellets and covered boxes. she may be one of them. I would confine her for a while to a smaller room and see if she will start using the box, "retrain" her.

WolfenLynx

Young Cat
Purraise
Ok Big update: The bloated abdomen was simply constipation. She got back from the vet yesterday and we don't know what caused her constipation because they didn't really tell us anything.
We researched the anxiety meds she was taking and ended up researching the wrong ones, so they may or may not be the cause. we don't know.
She is currently getting less lethargic and we think she's peeing in the litterbox.

However we are going to have to call back in order to find out the cause of the constipation and if it will happen again. She is all cleared up for now.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i hired a behaviorist for this same issue. even though i thought the peeing cat got along with others it was still a territorial thing. the suggested help was to change to cat attract litter, brush each cat several times a day using the same brush so their scent is on each other all the time. also lots of play. and adding litter box options. i was kind of shocked at how little we needed to do, but we have been pee free for almost two months. another option was if she starts to go in just one place we put a zapper type thing there because some times it becomes more of a habit. good luck.

MomCatMomCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry to read all this, and I hope you're moving toward resolution! We had a stubborn pee-er, and Cat Attract made all the difference. But she wasn't dealing with the physical challenges, just emotional ones.

We found it effective with another cat to not only use the odor removers, but to cover that part of the carpet with aluminum foil and orange rinds. They don't like the sound or feel of the foil, and citrus repels them. Worked very well.

Good luck!

WolfenLynx

Young Cat
Purraise
Jasmine is doing okay lately. She is only using one litterbox, but she has not peed outside of it since her vet visit.
She's happy and energetic again, actually meowing more than usual.

Sad to not know what caused her constipation, but glad it's over.

WolfenLynx

Young Cat
Purraise
She has begun to pee again. Scraping away pee pads to pee again.

She has 2 litterboxes, one upstairs and one downstairs. Not that it would matter, since she used to have a box in the area she peed and ignored it.

The only thing I can do right now is:
- get sticky pads and take her out side more often

And if that doesnt work, I have 2 options:
- give her away (but to who??? who would take care of her properly?)
- let her outside unleashed. let her have the chances of being killed or stolen. I am trying to come to terms with this. the fact that I probably won't be able to take her to live with me. and the fact that she could possibly never return if we let her out. Just like my 6 year old tortie patches, just up and gone one day.

WolfenLynx

Young Cat
Purraise
Note: I can also start giving her her anxiety medicine as well.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is there any chance that she is starting toward constipation again? At least if you place the pee pads inside a low sided box, if she scratches them away to pee again it is contained in the box. Whatever came of the urinalysis/urine culture for checking to a UTI? I must have missed it. Any way, if there was a UTI and the incorrect antibiotic was used to clear it, it can easily become worse again. If there was no UTI and it would seem she has cystitis, perhaps the anxiety meds is part of the answer. Did you read through the FIC article given to you earlier?

Are you considering the options you listed above because you are moving away (for school?)? I take that to mean your mom is not willing to take care of her as you have? If you are leaning toward giving her away or letting her outside all the time, then start a search with rescue centers that often work with fosters and other cat lovers who might be willing to take her and try to work with her to solve her peeing problems/possible FIC. If there is a possibility that some of her issues have to do with her relationship with Sophie, perhaps she should be in a single-cat household?

WolfenLynx

Young Cat
Purraise
Is there any chance that she is starting toward constipation again? At least if you place the pee pads inside a low sided box, if she scratches them away to pee again it is contained in the box. Whatever came of the urinalysis/urine culture for checking to a UTI? I must have missed it. Any way, if there was a UTI and the incorrect antibiotic was used to clear it, it can easily become worse again. If there was no UTI and it would seem she has cystitis, perhaps the anxiety meds is part of the answer. Did you read through the FIC article given to you earlier?

Are you considering the options you listed above because you are moving away (for school?)? I take that to mean your mom is not willing to take care of her as you have? If you are leaning toward giving her away or letting her outside all the time, then start a search with rescue centers that often work with fosters and other cat lovers who might be willing to take her and try to work with her to solve her peeing problems/possible FIC. If there is a possibility that some of her issues have to do with her relationship with Sophie, perhaps she should be in a single-cat household?

Is there any chance that she is starting toward constipation again?

No, not really. She's pooping and peeing fine.

Whatever came of the urinalysis/urine culture for checking to a UTI?
The veternarain concluded nothing. No UTI. No infection, no cause for constipation. We have no idea what happened. We don't think it's dietary because she has access to food and water and only got constipated once her whole life.

Did you read through the FIC article given to you earlier?
Yes. I'll look through it again, because for a while we didn't have a single issue.

Are you considering the options you listed above because you are moving away (for school?)?
Yes. I was planning on taking her with me once I started living on my own, she's almost 2 and I'm a Junior so I was hoping to take her with me once I found a pet-friendly place to stay, like after my freshman year of college at the least.

But I don't really think that's possible if we make her an indoor-outdoor. She probably wouldn't want to switch to an indoor life after that, and I wouldn't want to force her. I really fear letting my cats outside at all now because we have lost many that way. It scares me absolutely to death. The only reason I'm not worried about Sophie going out is because she goes out on a schedule, and doesn't go far and spontaneously like how my lost/deceased cats Misty and Patches did.

I take that to mean your mom is not willing to take care of her as you have?
She will take care of her... I think. My parents want ME to take her outside because she's MY cat.
They will have to start doing it anyway if I move out for my first year or two of college, then I was planning to take her off their hands after that and have her as solely my pet and my responsibility.
Right now though, they have spent a lot of money taking care of this peeing issue. My dad has been the one helping me by paying for vet bills and taking her to the vet, and buying stuff and cleaning and doing litter box stuff- I just need to take her outside and do her litter and feed her as of right now, which they will have to do anyway if I end up leaving in 2022.

If there is a possibility that some of her issues have to do with her relationship with Sophie, perhaps she should be in a single-cat household?
Most likely yes, it seems like this whole thing is a territory issue. She HATES seeing Sophie outside and her being forced to stay inside. She fights with Sophie and it sounds really violent, but then they also sleep right next to each other, so it's not impossible to introduce her to other cats.

WolfenLynx

Young Cat
Purraise
Oh god I left this thread for like, months- by the way she is fine now!!! She's been peeing normally for quite some time. We have a litterbox upstairs in our bathroom and one downstairs. Jazzie is good!!!
:celebrate:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, that's such good news. Thanks for the update.