Nature's Variety Praise

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thought this was interesting and worth sharing (Facebook's false choice: What it should have done to preserve trust - Fortune Tech):
Another company that has satisfied customer needs while meeting its own objectives is pet food maker Nature's Variety. The company, which makes premium pet food, faced a tough decision in early 2010 when its Organic Chicken Formula Raw Frozen Diet foods were feared to contain Salmonella: pull them from the shelves at great expense, or downplay the problem and hope it would go away.

Worried about the fate of its customers' pets, as well as its own reputation, the company went into high gear to alert both resellers and consumers. Within days, it announced a massive recall, posted information on its web site, and contacted retailers and veterinarians. A month later, Nature's Variety voluntarily broadened the recall to minimize any harm to animals.

In an interview with Veterinary Medicine, Anthony Holloway, CEO of retailer K9Cuisine, praised Nature Valley for its quick response. "Within minutes of the [recall] announcement, our company was contacted by our Nature's Variety representative," he said. "We were told that there was a recall, gave us the details, answered our questions, told how the company would handle affected product and probably most important where customers could get answers."

As you can imagine, consumers were equally quick to praise Nature's Variety for balancing its interests with those of its customers.
NV products are one of the commercially-produced items I feed my fosters. Other pet food companies could - and should - learn a thing or two from them.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They did have a fair response time ... NOT all go it that quick... I knew before either the vet who carries it or the two local pet stores that carry it did ... The other Raw premades had IMHO much faster response time to the store level which is where is counts.

kittykatt23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i like natures variety, i feed my cats their chicken intincts kibble. I am hoping they will like the canned varities too.

silva_unt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are most recalls on these products always CHICKEN? Should one avoid chicken and stick to lamb or rabbit? Just curious

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't avoid it, Silva_unt. The recalls are as much for the handler's benefit (you and I) as the cats'; in fact, cats can handle bacterial loads far in excess of anything that they'd ever encounter naturally (and in nature, they eat their breakfast leftovers for dinner).

AC