Natures Variety Instinct Raw Chicken Strong Smell??

jasesun23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Taking care of my sisters cats for awhile. Having some issues with the only local pet store that carries Rad cat food. Their ordering and delivery process could use some work. In the mean time I grabbed some Natures Variety Instinct raw from PetSmart. Cats didn't take to it too much but for anyone who has every used it, does is stink? I mean Rad food you defrost and it had zero smell, even fresh grocery meats have slightly more smell. But the NV's Instinct raw just stinks. Trying to figure out if this is just the smell of NV Instinct Raw chicken or if maybe I got a bad batch. And its not necessarily a Rotten smell but its a really strong smell.

To add, it even has the smell when its frozen but it more pronounced when its defrosted.

Last edited:

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn’t be surprised if they coat it with something to make it appealing. I don’t feed NV but maybe double check the expiry dates and make sure there’s no recall. I’ve had freeze dried raw with strong odor but not frozen.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Taking care of my sisters cats for awhile. Having some issues with the only local pet store that carries Rad cat food. Their ordering and delivery process could use some work. In the mean time I grabbed some Natures Variety Instinct raw from PetSmart. Cats didn't take to it too much but for anyone who has every used it, does is stink? I mean Rad food you defrost and it had zero smell, even fresh grocery meats have slightly more smell. But the NV's Instinct raw just stinks. Trying to figure out if this is just the smell of NV Instinct Raw chicken or if maybe I got a bad batch. And its not necessarily a Rotten smell but its a really strong smell.

To add, it even has the smell when its frozen but it more pronounced when its defrosted.
I used to order this food (rabbit variety) and I think they changed something. The last batch I bought was slimey and smelled, and my cat wouldn't eat it.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never noticed a smell with the NV frozen chicken, both the medallions and the Raw Bites. It just has a "meaty" chicken smell. You might have a bad bag, maybe from improper storage at Petsmart. I don't think you can return frozen raw food to Petsmart but it's worth a try. You can also contact NV and ask if they have had any complains about that particular batch of food. There's a batch / lot number printed on the bag.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jasesun23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
LTS3 don't know if I'd describe this as "meaty" smelling. For example if I buy some chicken or ground chicken at the grocery store, if its fresh it has just the slightest smell almost no smell. Same with fish, the less it smell is usually a sign the fresher it is. Every Rad tub I've opened has almost no smell. I've tried turkey, chicken, beef, and lamb. The NV raw has a distinct smell. Not saying its a gone bad smell but its a strong smell.
I'm just going to toss it. It was a small bag, $8. I'll even call Petsmart and say I called the company and they said it shouldn't smell, maybe they will let me take it back for store credit
expiration date is 4/21/2019

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have been feeding different varieties NV raw to my cats for years and have never noticed a strong smell:dunno: Venison and beef definitely smell more than chicken but NV doesn't make those raw proteins for cats anymore.

jasesun23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I appreciate everyone replying. I just took it back to Petsmart and they were good enough to give me a a refund. Traveled to Brooklyn to get some Rad, defrosted the turkey and literally zero odor.
Had two other people smell the Rad and the NV's Instinct. Both agreed the Rad has no smell what so ever and the NV's was a strong smell, not necessary a bad smell just a very strong smell. Also our noses were 1/2 an inch away sniffing it :)

I'd almost like to buy another bag of NV's at another store to see if thats its natural smell or was just a mishandled bag.

thanks again
Jay

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That does not sound right. NV medallions should have almost no odor. Yet another perk of raw food compared to canned!

I've had real problems with freshness of commercial frozen raw in NYC in general. It's a major reason why I prefer to stick with online suppliers. When I do buy NV medallions, I get them while visiting family in NJ, from one particular store that handles raw food correctly - they only "display" a few bags at a time and keep the rest in a freezer not accessible to customers, so it's not being constantly opened. That requires space that most NYC stores can't afford.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be your personal chemistry. Your answers on this are varied. I am of the mind that NV chicken medallions smell very strong compared to regular raw meat. Even compared to my rabbit and turkey mix I make, after the fish oil and vitamin B are added.
I don't like it.
The boys still eat it. Which is cool because they were the $23 bags. I usually only get them when I can't prep my own in time.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't used NV for a long, long time, but I know they use HPP and some companies wash all their "product" (meat, veg, etc.) with an anti-microbial soap.
I am not saying NV does this. Check with the company. But if they do...washed with antibacterial hand soap and then HPP'ed is something I'd expect a seasoned, healthy raw fed cat to avoid. They have no taste for this stuff, and they shouldn't.
JMO =)

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't bought NV in a long time -- our cats won't eat it -- but when I did, three or four years ago, several types, I also thought it had a strong smell. And, like jasesun23 jasesun23 described it, it didn't smell rotten or meaty, but it smelled very strong, in an unpleasant, sort of sour way. And our cats agreed! They just plain didn't like it. I also agree that Rad Cat has virtually no smell... at least to humans: the cats' noses start twitching when they smell it! Have fun catsitting, Jay!

jasesun23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep Lisahe, I'd describe the smell as unpleasant and sour. Gross smelling in my opinion.