Nature's Variety Instinct canned Rabbit vs. Addiction canned Rabbit

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What an interesting thread! What I want to add is that I noticed that Hill's Prescription Diet (the high calorie one) has the first ingredient as pork liver, also. I was suprised to see this when I was advised to feed it to my cat after a long illness. In my totally non-scientific way, I figured maybe pork liver has different properties than regular pork meat, so maybe that's why it is ok? I've always been told pork can cause pancreatitis, so it was concerning. Now I realize I am a dummy for not asking my vet more questions about it.

It will be interesting to see the response from Petsmart. Will it be thoughtful and informative, or corporate speak out of both sides of their mouth? We shall see
I am not sure which Hills diet you are talking about.  If it's the Hills A/D that one is very good for seriously ill cats.  I used that when Patches had fatty liver disease and a feeding tube.  I know the ingredients look bad and I wouldn't want to feed it long term but it is an excellent food for sick pets.  I don't know why given their ingredients but that stuff is almost like magic.

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can't remember the letters on the Hill's because it was a few years ago, but I agree- the stuff works like magic! Wheezie wouldn't eat and was getting scary thin, but once we gave her the Hill's, the difference was immediate. We gave her small portions every 2-3 hours and she cleaned her bowl every time. Within a few days, you could already see the difference in her coat and her eyes. Plus, she stopped wasting away and gradually returned to her usual food and a healthy weight. It was actually hard keeping the other cats out of her dish, so it must be pretty tasty, too.

Last edited:

jclark

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: I contacted Petco regarding their comments and how it runs counter to the cat food they offer for sale because much of it (canned) contains pork liver or an unknown species of liver.

Received a reply that they forwarded my question onto Management. I'll let everyone know what I find out.
UPDATE: I never received an answer from Petco however it appears that they've pulled down their comment regarding pork as I cannot find it anywhere.

limeygirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
BEWARE anything canned by Evangers.  Addiction having  TERRIBLE problems with accurate weight in cans...some as much as 25 grams  light, which makes very expensive Addiction even more expensive.  Evangers comes up light in weigt also

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I was disappointed with all the pork in that food too. That isn't good. But cats are scavengers, eat mice. So I guess it is ok. I don't buy it anymore. Wish there were a good rabbit in a wet food. My cats and dog love it.
Pride by Instinct has a good rabbit variety. I get the Rockstar's rabbit. My 2 picky eaters love it

limeygirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am going to  get my cats back on some raw food,  Used to get my rabbit at Hare-Today.  Great quality.  Works out relatively inexpensive if you buy 35  pounds or more at a time