Natural Remedies For Chronic Kidney Disease?

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Has anyone tried any natural remedies to help a cat with chronic kidney disease? Was there anything you found to be effective to support the cat's health?

Thanks! :)

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
I haven't tried any remedies myself, but I believe this book will help:

IMG_9092.jpg

It is by Anitra Frazier, and I think there is an entire section devoted to chronic kidney disease. Hope this helps!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestion! :) I'll check that out.

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
are you giving the cat sub-cutaneous fluids?

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
how is that working for your cat? HK went from stage 3 to a stage 2 kidney disease just from the sub-q fluids, and he's stayed a stage 2 for at least a couple years.

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
how is that working for your cat? HK went from stage 3 to a stage 2 kidney disease just from the sub-q fluids, and he's stayed a stage 2 for at least a couple years.
He's definitely better with the fluids than he would be without them, but we seem to be reaching the limits of his treatments (fluids/meds/diet) being effective.

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't heard of any proven-effective natural remedies for the kidney disease itself, but I had good results using slippery elm for the gastric upset associated with kidney disease. I made a syrup by cooking slippery elm powder in water, and gave it by syringe. It helped with the acid reflux a lot, although I still had to use Pepcid or Cerenia occasionally.

Breila

adult cats
Kitten
Purraise
Oliver my 13 yr old male Main Coon has CKD (Cronic Kidney Disease). I have his blood tested every 6 months.
Food - Food- Food! Must have as low a phosphorus level as possible. Canned food only. Food from vet he hates. Best phosphorus level Vet said is between 0.49% and 0.38% and that is figured in DM (Dry Matter). There are several websites that give phosphorus levels of Commercial canned cat food.
just search for "Charts on Phosphorus level in canned cat food". Vet food is lowest in Phosphorus but not very tasty; vets will tell u it is essential that CKD cats eat!! So, I went in search of canned food with low |Phos, within my budget, and that he loves.
NOTE: After exhaustive research I am feeding Oliver the following, which has the lowest level of Phos I could find that he likes. B.F.F Best Feline Friend made by Wuruva. Dry Matter 0.96% to 0.98% is the lowest in commercial canned food I could find...and he loves it...so do my other 3 cats.
The other ones are: Performatrin (Canadian co) 1.04% Healthy Weight Turkey Formula is the lowest they have. Friskies Turkey and Giblets at 1.3% Phos and Country Style Dinner at 1.3%, Chicken and Liver at 1.4.
There are other brands that are good but beyond my budget. $2.00 a can is my limit as just Oliver eats close to 2 ---5 oz cans daily.

Hope this helps
cheers, Breila

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Breila, unfortunately we are way past that point, but thanks.

It sounds like my cat's disease has progressed further than yours. We already do the diet, two meds (Famotidine and Enalapril,) daily subcutaneous fluids, and bloodwork every 1-3 months depending on the results of the previous round.

Last time we were at the vet, he said that we have run out of medical options. I figured I would ask if anybody had any natural ideas since we have exhausted what can be done medically.

Breila

adult cats
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Blakeney: rec'd your email. Regarding herbs: The next step for Oliver's kidney disease is Burdock. I have sent u a webpage that might help. I was tempted to get Dandelion but it might be too harsh on damaged kidneys. I am trying to find Burdock in a liquid.....perhaps my health food store will have it.
All the best
Breila
Natural Wonder Pets - Natural, Organic Herbal Home Remedies for Dogs and Cats