Natural or any other remedies for cat in heat before can be spayed?

purrfect mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! Everyone is always so helpful on this site. My poor cat has been in heat for about 3 weeks (gave birth 2.75 mos. ago). I have received conflicting advice on where to go for the spay; one very experienced cat owner said to go to a local vet and not the high volume local spay/neuter clinic (the high volume local spay/neuter clinic is where all the cat rescues --except one that I know of, who sends cats to a vet they work with).
The local vet charges about $500 including an overnight stay, which my friend says isn't always necessary, as it's not as if the vet is standing there the whole time looking at your cat. I have a coupon (free or very low cost) from one cat rescue for the high volume place; which, unfortunately, is not very close by -- about 45 mins away -- and we've only been able to successfully get the cat in a carrier once, and that was to do a scan to see if there was a chip.
Also, I've been told she shouldn't be spayed when in heat, so it might be hard to make an apptmt. But the sooner, the better! I have literally been up until 4 or 5 a.m. every night.
So last night I bought Thunderese multi-cat diffuser pheromone kit. The problem is that you're supposed to put in room where cat is most, but cat roams all over. I got multi-cat bc I figured there would be more pheromones - my cat + 2 kittens get along great.
People sd it would take 2 days - 2 wks to notice anything. Then someone from pet store sd that cbd oil has worked for her. one was $50 (diffuser i think) and she sd the cheaper 1 ($20) had to be put in cat's mouth. i don't know whether this means you have to rub it around inside her mouth or put it in their food. I know i'm not going to be able to rub it around her mouth!
Any thoughts on any other remedies?
thanks!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know of any safe and effective home remedies for bringing a cat out of heat. Some people do "acupressure" or another method to simulate mating, but this can lead to an increased risk of uterine infection.

If she were my cat and had been in heat for 3 weeks, I would go ahead and spay her at the next possible appointment, even if she still had symptoms of heat. It's not common for cats to go into continuous heat (or cycling with such a small break between that it appears continuous), but I've seen it happen occasionally. It's not ideal to spay a cat in heat, but if she were my cat I would want to have her spayed at this point.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purrfect mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you so much; so no one has ever used cbd oil or feliway or anything else? What about heating pads? that was sugg on wikihow. thanks!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have any personal experience with CBD oil, so I can't comment on that. I am not sure why feliway or heating pads would be expected to have an effect. Cats in heat are full of powerful hormones, it's not just a mild behavioral issue. The best remedy is getting the cat spayed. Good luck!