Natural Cat Cold Help?

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi! Anyone know of anything I can do to help my kitten he seems like he has a cold again... he barely has any white blood cells because his long term steroid use. I dont want to keep giving him antibiotics every couple months it seems when he sounds congested

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can try steam treatments. Sever minutes in a bathroom with a hot shower running will help keep his little nose clear, although if this is a serious URI, you may have to break down and give him the antibiotics. I'd suggest a very frank talk with your vet about these concerns. If the vet is unwilling to talk with you, it may be time for a second opinion/change.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will try the shower. No it doesnt ever seem severe but sometimes you can hear him kind of phlegmy and stuffed up he also has herpes flares in his left eye especially being on steroids it flares sometimes and brown discharge. Hes very taken care of he goes in monthly for blood draw to check his autoimmune condition while on steroids

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For my cat's URI, flumax supplement does wonders, it's the best I've ever tried. Also I agree, steam treatments are really useful

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh thank you I will ask about it. Poor sick little guy hes has issues since he was born it's why i decided to "foster fail" and keep him

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just looked and it's a UK brand not sure if I can get in America :(

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lysine supplements are supposed to help with herpes flair ups. It is an immune booster so it may help decrease his chances of getting URIs as often as well.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have not tried this personally, but have read some pretty good reviews on it. Homeopet???(I think) makes a product called Feline Nose Relief that supposedly works wonders for URI symptoms.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lysine supplements are supposed to help with herpes flair ups. It is an immune booster so it may help decrease his chances of getting URIs as often as well.
L-lysine will quell a feline herpes 'outbreak/flairup'.......but, NOT because of any effect on the immune system.

First off, L-lysine is an amino acid, making it about as 'natural' as possible.

L-lysine is NOT an 'immune booster"....it does nothing for the immune system, and it will not itself prevent upper respiratory infections.

L-lysine works against the herpesvirus by inhibiting the replication of the virus. Herpesvirus requires another amino acid, arginine, to reproduce. L-lysine blocks access/prevents the virus from getting arginine...thereby bringing a (usually) speedy end to the outbreak.

L-lysine can also be used to prevent periodic outbreaks in cats who are particularly prone to frequent flairups.

The most cost-efficient L-lysine is pure lysine powder, then lysine capsules/tablets; the most expensive lysine products are the 'treats'/pastes. (pure lysine is tasteless and can be mixed into wet foods, with small amounts of food ensuring the dose is consumed). L-lysine capsules and tabs are sold in pharmacies and online; powder is available online.

Effective dosages for outbreaks range from 250-500mg twice daily. Different cats will require different dosages to prevent flairups, some needing 250mg daily.

Hope that helps.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like your kitty has herpes and/or possibly a secondary infection that isn't getting treated completely. I would 2 things. First, I would have the PCR URD test run to see if he has feline herpes or one of the upper respiratory diseases that are not your common cold. The other thing I would suggest is to get a culture and sensitivity test done on any kind of discharge or drainage. This will let you know if it's a bacterial or viral infection. The sensitivity test will tell the vet which medication will best treat it.

The other thing that might be worth considering is asthma. My girl sounds "croupy" or "phlegmy" when she's having problems. Listening to the lungs and/or an x-ray will show if this is a possibility.

As for increasing the health of your kitty, I would be sure to have him on a wet and dry food diet. Depending on his age, try a grain-free diet. Sometimes herpes can be aggravated by the grains in dry food. For supplements, we give a daily antihistamine (my cats are adults), Duralactin for kitties (we use the capsules and sprinkle the contents into wet food), L-Lysine powder, an Omega-3 supplement, and we give The Missing Link supplement in wet food. Not all kitties like The Missing Link. One of my girls turns her nose up at it, but the other 4 kitties like it. You can also try a good probiotic and colloidal silver. Some members have had success with Lactoferrin. We tried that, but found it had very little impact on my girl.

kitty chew

Kitty chew
Adult Cat
Purraise
Make some bone broth, and add a bit of cider vinegar. It brings out the goodness from the bones and marrow. Also dab a bit of cider vinegar mixed with water where your kitty will lick it off on their body. It's good for colds in cats and people.