Natural Balance Platefulls Grain Free Pouches

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm curious if anyone else has tried these? I came across them on NB's website about a week ago, & I hadn't seen them in any stores as of then.

I don't often buy smaller portions of cat food, given I'm feeding quite a few kitties, but I figured I had best give these a try.

Natural Balance Platefulls

I picked up one of each "flavor" - 8 total. I'm pretty sure they were $.99 each, so kind of $$$. We just had the first one for breakfast. It's chunks in gravy, overall went over OK. Of course my 'gravy girl' loved it!
Thankfully something else in gravy to put in the rotation for her.

zarra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for sharing your discovery. I didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know NB had pouches. I cannot wait to try them out. I hope Festus will like them so I can eliminate the Friskies pouches. Wellness pouches are $1.20 each so $.99 is not bad.

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had no idea they even made them
I wonder if there in my country yet. Thanks for sharing! my indoors are all chunky/gravy lovers.. the barn cats only eat pate
it's so nice they all know what they want.

zarra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just got back from the pet store and they just started carrying these. I bought 1 of each flavor (8). I opened the chicken & Salmon and Festus took a couple of bites and walked away. The food looks exactly the same as the food in the Wellness pouches. I wonder if both are made by the same manufacture. If your cats like Wellness pouches, they may like these. Festus does not like Wellness anymore so this new one does not look promising for me.

bccats22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
 Just saw this thread – and had to add that Yes my angel kitties have tried Platefulls by Natural Balance and LOVE them.  We started buying them not too long ago because Leon wasn’t eating and the others were just being picky about their canned food.  But I picked out a few of these pouches and they like them ALL – we buy the indoor formulas since they are indoor kitties – and I noticed a bit of a difference in the litter box too – there was LESS – which is a very good thing.  Hope your little angels tried them and like them too!

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep in mind that there are no real meat chunks in these foods, and to form those "nice-looking meaty chunk shapes", pouched foods contain higher levels of texturizers and gelling additives. Most nutritionally-aware vets (such as Dr. Hofve of LittleBigCat.com), recommend against feeding semi-moist products for that reason.

AC

sevenwonders

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Any additional thoughts or opinions on these?

PFD has them for $15.67 / 24 x 3oz pouches.

Here is the info for the "Turkey, Chicken and Duck" Formula:

Ingredients:

Turkey Broth, Turkey, Chicken Liver, Duck, Chicken, Peas, Dried Egg Whites, Carrots, Potato Starch, Natural Flavor, Guar Gum, Sodium Phosphate, Salmon Oil, Ground Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Minerals (Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Sodium Selenite, Potassium Iodide), Sodium Carbonate, Pumpkin, Spinach, Parsley, Dried Kelp, DL-Methionine, Cranberry Meal, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin, Vitamin B12 Supplements, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid), Choline Chloride, Taurine, Yucca Schidigera Extract.

Analysis:

Crude Protein 8.0% min Crude Fat 3.5% min Crude Fiber 1.0% max Moisture 82.0% max Taurine 0.05% min Omega-6 Fatty Acids 0.60% min Omega-3 Fatty Acids 0.08% min

hobo08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Keep in mind that there are no real meat chunks in these foods, and to form those "nice-looking meaty chunk shapes", pouched foods contain higher levels of texturizers and gelling additives. Most nutritionally-aware vets (such as Dr. Hofve of LittleBigCat.com), recommend against feeding semi-moist products for that reason.

AC

Are the pouches different than cans? Why are pouches different than cans? 

Thanks!

meuzettesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well... when I buy tuna ins pouched rather than cans, it tastes better and is fresher. Maybe that is what they have in mind.

I myself can't afford the good stuff. Purina ONE is the best I can do. You are fortunate.

Jill.

sevenwonders

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

AC
Are the pouches different than cans? Why are pouches different than cans? 

Thanks!
Actually, Hobo08, I can't determine if AuntieCrazy meant that the chunks are not "chunks of meat" per se, or that they do not contain real meat. As you can see from my previous post, they definitely do contain real meat. As for the other meaning of your question, I don;t know why some companies don't just put pate in pouches... seems that many of them use these processed, formed "slices" in the pouches (Wellness, for example.) The pouches are great when you are in a hurry, but some of my cats don't like the slices, so they walk away and the fat kitties end up eating too much.

sevenwonders

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well... when I buy tuna ins pouched rather than cans, it tastes better and is fresher. Maybe that is what they have in mind.

I myself can't afford the good stuff. Purina ONE is the best I can do. You are fortunate.

Jill.
Hi Jill, I know what you mean about the tuna pouches - it does taste fresher, but it is too dry for me. Plus, they are normally more expensive than the cans.

As far as being fortunate, I'd say that my cats are for sure. As for me, my employer decided to give my job to the 21 year old nephew of the District Manager who had absolutely no relevant experience, even though I was ranked #8 among 180 Recruiters in my company last year. Since I had to take a $400./ month pay cut, I would not have been able to afford to take care of my 5 indoor Kitties and my Ferals the way I want to, so I am mowing 7 lawns on the weekends now so I can continue to do my best for them. But I love my Babies, so I don't regret my decision. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I started this thread almost a year ago. My kitties don't love the pouches enough for me to justify the expense of them. It would take 3 pouches to feed them all at mealtime!!!

kitlit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just started adding the Indoor Turkey and Duck to my 3 cats' rotation diet. They love it but I wish the protein analysis was higher than 8%.I mix 1 pouch with 1 small can or pouch of Applaws to boost the protein. Applaws is nutritionally incomplete. You can probably accomplish the same thing for less money buy adding in 3 ounces of American cooked chicken breast or thigh meat (organic is even better). Cooked (or raw) meat is an excellent source of protein but lacks essential nutrients if served as a stand alone diet. You can also add some cooked egg yolk to boost the protein but I would be cautious when tinkering with their overall nutrient regimen and I only supplement with these pure proteins no more than 3× a week based on a 14 unit meal cycle.

kitlit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think the pouches are a good idea. They probably have a smaller carbon footprint than cans an eliminate the need for BPA. They can be nutritious I.e. The Applaws pouch selections but this line although very high in protein is nutritionally incomplete. I use it as a complement to the Platefulls line and any other wet food that fall's below my 10% protein standard. Adding cooked meats to low protein commercial food is a good alternative for those of us who are afraid to start cooking for our cats full time or feeding raw. A solid rotation menu helps to overcome some nutrition gaps and blunders. It's also a great way to establish a diverse menu in case your cat's favorite meals are: suddenly recalled, no longer appealing, have been reformulated or are currently out of stock. Chewy is an excellent on line source for a broad variety of nutritious cat food and their customer service, prices and swift delivery are unrivalled.