National Raisin Day April 30

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Raisins seem to be one of those things that people either love or hate. I'm in the hater group. :lol2:

images.png

Which category are you in--love 'em or hate 'em?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am not a fan of raisins. I will eat them when needed but there are many other things I’d rather eat. I blame my Mom, she mixed them into meatloaf and all sort of random foods.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Raisins in MEATLOAF? :noway:
Yeah. They rehydrate in cooking so it makes these weird squishy sweet spots. Do not ask my why she did or why she liked it. My parents are the masters of more is better so unless I reign them in food gets insteresting.

The most relatable is probably sloppy joes which became essentially soup because they’d add so many vegetables and liquids to it to modify it. I finally told my Mom at one point that I wanted real Sloppy Joes on a bun that didn’t fall apart in the liquid not a soup that was inspired by it. The meatloaf I refused to eat with raisins, nuts, squash (butternut, crookneck and spaghetti one time no less), carrots and potato (sweet and red that time) mixed in. I’d like no raisins involved, diced nuts and the veggies on the side thank you very much. Or just warn me and I’ll fix my own dinner.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not a fan, but I like them in baked goods, too, especially oatmeal cookies. I like the Zante raisins a lot and use them in pumpkin or banana bread. They are tiny, tiny raisins made from champagne grapes.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like raisins by themselves or with something else. I eat them sometimes to get the iron but that is the only reason.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
In meatloaf? Ew. My grandmother used to put them in lasagna because my uncle liked it.ugh!!

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I like raisons! I especially like them mixed with nuts for a healthy snack. But in certain cookies and recipes they are just perfect. Like Amish raison or oatmeal cookies, bran muffins, mince meat pie, muesli cereal, cinnamon bread. I think I tend to like them with whole grains, nuts, and seeds. They seem to mix very well with those foods and lend a touch of sweetness and texture that makes the flavor pop!

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like raisins! I use them sometimes in salads, but I'll also eat them on their own when they come in my students' snacks (most of them are in the "nope" category)

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the tiny currants (or tiny raisins) too, DreamerRose DreamerRose .
Yes, they are packaged as currants, but are really raisins. I like them for baking because of the small size.

I didn't know what real currants were until a few years ago when my DIL showed me a bush she was growing. They were berries, but looked something like striped green grapes. She said they weren't ripe yet, but could be eaten green. I don't know what color they are when ripe.