Napkin/toilet Paper Fetish

abbyemma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
1DC7F315-E716-451F-A4EB-C9B24B4997C5.jpeg 9B90269F-763B-4A31-B1AF-BC538CA1078F.jpeg Hi Everyone!

The only issue that I have with Emma is that she loves to rip up paper. We’ve found a way to put the toilet paper so she can’t reach it. She’s done it with tissue gift wrapping paper, she dive bombed into a Costco container of wrapped paper towels and gnawed on those, and she will attack paper boxes.

I obviously have been more aware of where this stuff goes, like in a closet she does not go into, but I also am not perfect and I am sure there are going to
be many more torn up napkins in my
Future. I just wanted to see if anyone found a way to satisfy that urge with some sort of toy? She has multiple scratching posts, mice, straws she loves to chew, catnip toys, dental chew treats...

She does it so quickly, like a little rat.

I also had one more question. She has a couple of small spots under her chin last week, that have seemed to have cleared up. It looked like the images I found of cat acne, but very subtle. We had done the revolution treatment a few days prior, so I didn’t know if that had anything to do with it. I have been doing some research on new food and water bowls, as I read that plastic bowls can cause this as well. Does anyone have any recommendations for an antimicrobrial bowl set? There was
One I saw, but it was 75.00, and the cost of all of my plates/bowls/cutlery are nowhere near that!

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I gave one of my paper loving cats a big telephone book to chew on and tear up and that is exactly what she did. She also loved to use her paws to ruffle the pages for hours. The shredding was a little messy though.

As far as toilet paper I have had several who loved to unroll it and tear it up. One was
was so good at opening drawers and doors to get at it that I had to resort to getting a nice wicker basket to store the unrolled and shredded paper in and if you needed paper you just reached in and grabbed a handful. We just considered it pre wadded ready to use toilet paper.

Last edited:

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can use ceramic or metal bowls in place of plastic to deal with acne. You do not need expensive antimicrobial bowls as long as you clean them consistently. One of my cats had chin acne years ago before I knew not to use plastic bowls. Once I switched away from the plastic the acne cleared up pretty quickly. You can call your vet and ask if you can use Neoporin without pain relief on the acne spots. I am not sure if this is currently used for treating cat acne as it has been about 15 years since I dealt with this issue that is why I am telling you to check with your vet. There may very well be a different product that is currently used to treat feline acne.

My Apollo has a toilet paper fetish with the TP in my hubby's bathroom. My hubby made TP Guards using the plastic from 2 liter bottles. Apollo has figured out how to shred the TP around the guard in that bathroom. I keep the TP in the other 2 bathrooms put away. Hubby just recently realized he will only shred brand new rolls. Once the roll is not new anymore we can just leave it on the holder in the bathroom and he leaves it alone. We just close the door to hubby's bathroom when it is not in use. Apollo does not shred my paper towels at all though. He also shows no interest in shredding napkins or any other paper products.

I have never figured out anything to re-direct him with. He usually shreds TP when we are not home, asleep or in the shower. He also does not seem to shred TP when we are traveling. My cat sitter has never stopped in to visit my cats and had to clean up shredded TP. I have had the same cat sitter longer than Apollo has lived with us.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Gohan has mild chin acne. We use metal bowls, although I might clean them more often now. We don’t treat it because it’s very mild.

He also is our napkin ripper, but only when he’s angsty lol and needs to beat something up. No know substitute for that here.

Our tabby, Trin, loves those reusable grocery bags. He can gnaw those all day, and he does it when he’s extra angsty.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Regarding food/water bowls, here's an Article with some helpful options:
Food And Water Dishes - A Product Guide
And another Article about feeding tips, Note #5: 18 Awesome Cat Feeding Tips By Thecatsite Staff Members

Our last cat loved shredding paper products too. Her personal favorite was napkins but toilet paper and paper towels were a close second. Most, but not all of the time she did it for attention so I would try to distract her with a laser toy. Have you tried the laser? Just be careful not to shine it near your cat's eye(s).