Naming your cat :)

sarah430

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We recently adopted two 7 month old kittens (pictured in my avatar) after our cat was hit and killed by a car.   His name was Ezlo - named after a character in the video game The Legend of Zelda.  My son picked out the name. :)  Our new kitties are boy and girl siblings.  Ezlo was a wonderful cat who left us way too soon - he was only 3.  We got the new kitties from the same rescue and I wanted names that connected them to Ezzy.  So I researched characters from the video game and came up with Link for the boy and Navi for the girl.  My son agreed.  My husband took a little more convincing but I love the names together and think they are perfect.

ETA:  I used to call Ezlo, "My Kiki" and he responded to KiKi as well as Ezlo and Ezzy.  So far the nicknames for Link and Navi are "Link Link", "Linky", "Navi-girl" and "My Kikis".   :)

Last edited:

kitty katson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My first cat was an orange tabby named Ginger. She was a friendly stray, but it took her forever to warm up to our dog. I'm an illustrator and proofreader, and I used to proofread textbooks for young kids. The children's book "Ginger" was always featured in one of the reading books I proofread, and I loved the story and illustrations, so I always wanted to use the name Ginger for a future pet cat, boy or girl (the cat in the story is a boy). She was the perfect candidate. My parents always called her Kit Kat.

My cat Dollie came with her name from the shelter. It really suited her so I didn't change it. She is a lover and a total sweetheart. I often call her Dah-ee in a baby voice and she loves that. She comes running to either name.

My cat Max was originally named Trooper by the same shelter, and I really didn't think it fit him. I always liked the name Max, and it seemed to suit him, so that was that. He is no longer with us, but his memory lives on.

My newest cat Audrey has had a difficult life so far, and I wanted to change her name to give her a fresh start. She was named Pakiz by her original owner, which was the owner's grandmother's name. When she was sold, the next owner called her Winter. It is a pretty name, but to me it just represents all that strife that she suffered through. I had always loved the name Audrey, and it was a runner up for my daughter's name (who ended up being Wren), so this was a great opportunity to use it. I like that it means noble and strong, and it really suits her, I think. I am keeping the Pakiz in her name as a sort of honor to the original owner, who has fought so hard for this cat, but I usually just call her Audrey. She is deaf, so I came up with a greeting sign for her when we see each other: a letter A in sign, turned into a sort of little wave. She always responds by meowing at me.

jennifurr

To err is human, to purr is feline
Young Cat
Purraise
How my cat got their names:

Kiki: Kiki got her name from a kitten I used to own. I named this one after the titular character from Kiki's Delivery Service. The Kiki I used to have is different and colored black and white. Sadly, my mom wasn't watching where she was going, and crossed the rainbow bridge as a result. She did make up for it by getting me a new cat, which I named Cyber Kiki (Kiki 2 seemed overrated), to CK, to Cyber Kitty, and eventually back to Kiki.

Molly: She likely has this name from when we adopted her. She was abandoned by her owner at a veterinary hospital. Luckily, my future SIL found her, and we have been taking care of her since.

Sammy: We found him when he was a day old, apparently when his mother rejected him. We gave him a unisex name because none of us know the gender of him at first. Several bottle-feedings later, we found out that Sammy is male, and my future FIL named him after founding father Samuel Adams.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Nightfury : My Mom thought he looked like Toothless from How To Train Your Dragon. But she didn't want to keep or name him so for 4 months he was "the little black one". When she gave in and admitted she wanted to keep him she said she couldn't name a cat Toothless and since my sisters cat was Ash she decided Coal so they kinda went together. He was Coal for all of 4 days before my Mom said she didn't like it. She settled on Nightfury because a cat can't be named Toothless in her mind.

Link : I had him for a few days and couldn't settle on a name. I read off a list of possible names to someone and Lynx was on it. They thought I said Link and got all excited because of of Zelda and Link thinking that was where I was going. I was annoyed at first but after a few minutes I thought about it and I like the Zelda games. I told Link the name and he seemed to react so it became his name. It suits him to be named after a fictional guardian knight since he is so protective.

Rocket: We thought Rocket was a boy for the first month or so. She was too skittish for a vet visit and too much handling so we didn't figure out we were wrong until her first vet visit. When I first got her she had a face mask and looked like a little raccoon. I like the Guardians of the Galaxy movie and called her Rocket the Raccoon. My Dad kept trying to shorten it to Rocky but I said it was Rocket which was already short for Rocket the Raccoon. When I found out he was a she the name seemed to already be attached and with her high energy it fit. So she is a girl named Rocket the Raccoon.

Last edited:

lyssblade

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Why Shadow, I had originally picked out the name Tomukyatto, Kyatto for short which was Tom Cat in Japanese. It was a nod to my cat Neko  that I had to put to sleep months before due to heart failure. :(

I had been told that I was getting a girl kitten so it went from Koneko to Kyatto. Things changed after I got to meet him and he was brought in by my friend. I didn't really get to hold him as the poor baby was terrified and hid right away. I was laying on the floor while he was in the corner talking to him and with how he was hiding in the corner his little grey puff ball self the name shadow came to mind so I kept it.  The name suits him a lot better too as he is a big wuss and not a big scary tom cat and a mama's boy too lol. 

bella8188

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

My childhood cat was named Lucy (top left), my mom named her.

When I got married and got a house, I adopted two kitties from the shelter (that I also volunteer at). I'd grown up reading Harry Potter and always wanted to adopt a silver tabby and name her Minerva McGonagall, however I didn't have my heart set - I just wanted to adopt some kitties, I wasn't going to be fussy about their coloring. So I adopted two, and named them Minerva (top right) and Hermione (bottom left). A year later, while at the shelter, we had a kitty come in that I fell in love with immediately, and ended up taking her home and named her Ginny (bottom right). Coincidentally, all three cats match the hair color of their characters in the books :)

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hector was my childhood companion. I was 11 when I got her and thought she was a boy. Hector was named after a character from the Gameboy game Fire Emblem. This photo is of her when she was in hospice. I don't have any young pictures on my new S6 there all on my old flip phone.

Kabuto (Kabby) was named because of his black samurai helmet. His name is Japanese for helmet. The SPCA had called him Denver which I thought was a silly name for him.

Indy gets her name from Indiana Jones. She was so adventurous when I first got her I just started calling her Indy jokingly but it stuck. Her name when I got her was Ginny.