Naming My Foster Kittens!

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello! I run a small rescue in West Virginia. Some of you may have seen my posts in the Pregnant Cats and Kitten thread: Rescue Momma and Kittens... Advice Needed Please!
With the amount of fosters coming and going I need some help naming them all at times! I thought I would start a thread here to see if you guys can help me name some of my current fosters and future ones!
Generally I like to theme name families of cats... like after TV shows, Movies, we had a poet litter, etc. Usually if I can't think of something I pick a letter and name everyone after that letter.
Current cats that I have that need named...
I have a momma with 7 babies! Momma is a dilute tortie, I haven't gotten individual pictures of babies yet or genders so bare with me.
There are three orange tabbies, two black, one gray, and one tortie.
20170720_152326.jpg
20170720_154626.jpg
20170721_080801.jpg

Mom's name that her rescuer gave her is Meadow... so I am thinking for the babies we can do nature names? Idk.

Next, we are getting two sick kittens from a family of 6- two adults and 4 older kittens. We are getting the two sickest until we have room for the rest- they all have URI and eye infections it seems. I believe that the Siamese is a boy and the tabby is a girl but I don't have them yet so I am not 100% sure...

Screenshot_20170721-184230.png
Screenshot_20170721-184221.png

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had my cats from the cat protection. They name their litters in alphabetical order. My last cat was a litter of 4..Ronnie..Reggie..Ralphie and Rowena.
Meadows litter could be after flowers i.e buttercup, daisy and the other litter after herbs i.e. sage, parsley etc
They are lovely and thank you for caring for them

Cat Sidhe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh, they are all beautiful! I really hope everything goes well and they can find their forever homes. :crossfingers:

Here are some themes and names I like. Hope it helps!

Nature: Clover, Lily, Oak, Fern, Barley, Rain, Hawthorn... and Ruska (finnish word for all the colours of autumn)
Classical music: Strauss, Allegro, Echo, Aria, Harmony, Ludwig.
Teas: Earl, Lotus, Ginger, Ceylon, Black...

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I like Cat Sidhe's idea of nature names! Just to expand on that, you could do a mountain theme (names like Aconcagua, Denali, Makalu) or rivers (like Danube, Elbe, Moldau), or if you want more simple names, you could choose plant names like Willow, Sage, Bergamot, Rosemary...)

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Meadow looks just like a cat I had named Pansey! The original owner thought her markings looked like a pansey and had never seen a dilute before.

You could name them Pansey, Lily, Daisy, Rosey, Magnolia, Violet, Marigold, Iris, Juniper, Ivy
Boys could be named after trees. Oakley, Birch, Elm, (also names of Pokemon Professors) they are all named after trees.

Actually if you are into themes the Pokemon games are big into naming things in a theme. Like the professors are all trees. The Kanto region cities are all named after colors with "Pallet" town being your starting point. Johto cities are all named after kinds of wood. I think Sinnoh cities are named after different cloud formations. Hoehn is named I think after things related to the weather. And I cant remember the rest of them but they all have a theme.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
You could do names of Greek or Roman gods. Apollo, Artimas, Venus, Echo, Aphrodite, Athena, Atlas,Calliope, Demeter, Hera, Hercules, Iris, Kratos, Persephone, Poseidon, Zeus

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Loving these ideas!
So we trapped two feral kittens tonight. I have been calling them the woodpile kittens because they have been living in a woodpile lol. I am thinking I will name them after trees unless anyone else has better ideas?
These are the two I have caught tonight, I caught them right before I came into work so I don't have genders yet.
20170725_222256.jpg
20170725_222345.jpg

There is also at least an orange kitten that we saw today- there might be two. And the caretaker said she has seen a calico kitten as well.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Naming them after wood sounds good. Rowan..ash..chestnut..olive plenty to choose from for both sexes

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Naming them after wood sounds good. Rowan..ash..chestnut..olive plenty to choose from for both sexes
Again....Pokémon Professors...
  • Professor Samuel Oak
  • Professor Elm
  • Professor Birch
  • Professor Rowan
  • Professor Aurea Juniper
  • Professor Augustine Sycamore
  • Professor Willow
  • Professor Burnet
  • Professor Krane

And all the cities in Johto are named after wood
Azalea Town
Blackthorn City
Cherrygrove City
Cianwood City
Ecruteak City
Goldenrod City
Mahogany Town
New Bark Town
Olivine City
Violet City

I'm tellin' ya, Pokémon man.

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nature names!!!!

Cricket, Echo, River, Blossom, Hazel, Poppy, Sky, Willow, Storm

I love someone else's idea of mountain names...Max(Max Patch), Denali, Shasta, Rainier/Rainy, Kili(Kilimanjaro), Anna(Annapurna), Mitchell

Or what about gems? Opal, Pearl, Amethyst, Jade, Onyx, Ruby, Malachite, Peridot (Perry!), Jasper, Kyanite (Ky/Kai),

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If the wood pile kitties are male, I kinda like "Sean" and "Pierce," because they have that "the name's Bond, James Bond" in the tuxedo look going there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
If the wood pile kitties are male, I kinda like "Sean" and "Pierce," because they have that "the name's Bond, James Bond" in the tuxedo look going there.
So the two tuxedo kittens from the woodpile we just looked today and they are both girls! I think Olive and Juniper fit them- we definitely are doing a tree name for that litter.
I still need a name theme for these two:
20170726_184513.jpg
20170726_184527.jpg

The Siamese is a boy and the brown tabby is a girl! The theme will stay whenever I get the other two in the litter. Just got these two today and they are headed to my vet tomorrow! I liked the tea name theme for them... idk.
Also I am going to get genders on Meadow's babies soon so I can start naming them with the nature theme!