Nails

nurse629

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Hi All! This will seem like the smallest worry I should have (considering that my cat is essentially blind and FIV+ !) but here goes: Do I "have to" have my cat's nails clipped? By that I mean, if I provide scratching posts for her, will she be able to care for her nails herself? She's strictly an indoor cat, but does use the various stratching posts (and one new couch 
) on a regular basis. However, I've noticed her getting snagged on blankets and even the carpet occasionally. I've gotten so many conflicting opinions. Also, I must say that it's been near impossible to find a groomer in my area (Staten Island) who welcomes cats. I'll need to take her to a vet, if the consensus is that I should. Thank you so much for your advice! (Oh, and forget about ME cutting them...at least the first time, as her paws are apparently off-limits to me! 
 )   

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
if they are getting hung on stuff, then they are too long. It's pretty easy to trim the nails of an uncooperative cat by wrapping them tightly in a beach towel. Then pull out one paw at a time and do your work. I do recommend letting your vet show you proper technique if you have never trimmed them before, as you don't want to "cut into the quick" accidentally. The quick is basically nerves and blood vessels that run down the base of the nail. It's pink in color and should be visible.

Some cats are just really funny about their paws, but they still need a trim. It's in their best interest.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurse629

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much, for the advice! I'll take her to a vet and watch how they do it. I've only had her for two and a half months (and she's an adult...eight years old), so she's a bit "guarded" with certain things. I knew, from her reaction to my trying to get her "unsnagged" from things 
 that her paws were private property! Thanks again! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurse629

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My reply is below. Judging by my inability to post properly in a forum, maybe she's smart not to trust me with a clipper! 

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The replies are in the right order on my end so I wouldn't worry. The vet will most likely use a canine nail clippers. U need 2 find some feline ones, you can get some decent ones at any pet store.