Nail Trimming

hp811hyg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, is it really necessary to trim your cat nails? 1) I don't mind if they scratch all my

furnitures. 2) I don't mind getting poke by nails whenever I hug her.

My cat totally hates it ( extremely ) when I touch her paws ( I tried very solutions

that post it on the internet ) Even " burrito wrap " won't work on my cat.

If it's not a health issue, I like it keep it untouched.

leechi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You don’t need to trim them. I think most people don’t. Cats naturally shed their outer claw, so they don’t need trimming like a dog does. Just provide your cat with a scratching post

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats may develop ingrown claws which are painful. The claw bascailly curls back under the paw and digs into the pad pad. At the very least chck your cat's claw on a regular basis to make sure they aren't starting to become ingrown.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We did trim them on our previous cat as they would click against the floor when she walked. We were concerned it might be painful for her. She tolerated it.

We dont trim them on our current 2 cats as there is no "clicking".

If you do trim, buy a proper nail trimmer and remove only the very tip of the claw...be careful, its easy to hurt the cat.

Of course, declawing is out of the question.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have not been able to clip my previous cats' claws [still hoping with my new girl], but it's not always true that they will shed them. Many indoor cats don't scratch enough for that.

I have all sorts of scratchers for my cats, and my last cat only wanted to use those cardboard things, and there probably wasn't enough friction for him to shed his claws--he had to be clipped. Fortunately, I have a mobile vet, and she will come just to clip claws. Despite doing it regularly, my last cat developed two ingrown nails, so it's something to be aware of.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I think that cats that have itchy allergy reactions (like to certain foods, as an example) should have their claws regularly trimmed, as all of their scratching with both front and back feet can likely cause poke, puncture or scratching injuries. If they have certain allergies, rubbing at their eyes using the insides of their front paws, e.g. the dew claws, can also create a lot of aggravation around the eyes.

catlitterguru

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried to cut the nails while your cat is asleep? I usually do that and cut one or two nails at a time (depending on how drowsy he is).

My other cat doesn’t like it at all but her nail would fall out naturally from running around the house. I’d usually find one or two dead nails per month.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats like when I trim their nails. They actually hand over their paws for me to do it. I started when they were very little. I always have their nails very short. No damaged furniture or itchy scratches on my arms or legs. I only have one small scratch post in the house.